It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. and British Troops Launch A Mass Offensive South of Baghdad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
U.S. Marines, and British troops numbering almost 5000 have launched a major offensive south of Baghdad. The goal is to clear out insurgent hotbeds. The operation began with raids in the town Jabella that captured 32 suspected insurgents. The Marines are being reinforced with troops from Britain �Black Watch� regiment who were moved in the area earlier to cover U.S. positions during the assault on Fallujah.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Some 5,000 U.S. Marines, British troops and Iraqi commandos launched a new offensive Tuesday aimed at clearing a swath of insurgent hotbeds south of Baghdad, the U.S. military said.

The joint operation kicked off with early morning raids in the town of Jabella in Babil province, netting 32 suspected insurgents, the U.S. military said in a statement. Jabella is 50 miles south of Baghdad.

Insurgent violence has increased in the areas south of the capital in "an apparent attempt to divert attention" away from the U.S-led assault on the militant stronghold of Fallujah, the military said.

The cluster of dusty, small towns located south of the capital, has been a major area for insurgent activity. U.S. and Iraqi forces have come under repeated attacks by car bombs, rockets, and small arms fire in the area.

The region has become known as a "triangle of death" for the numerous attacks by Sunni Muslim insurgents and criminal gangs on Shiites, Westerners and members of the Iraqi security services.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is most likely not that last of these type of campaigns. They will no doubt attempt to pacify the Sunni Triangle before the elections to ensure that they proceed without a hitch. However, the insurgents are unlikely to stay in one place and duke it out with our troops. Its going to be a long and protracted battle to clear these insurgents out if ever. The Coalition received a boost yesterday when Britain and Iran endorsed the elections. In addition a multi national meeting gave support to the interim Iraqi governments fight against the insurgents.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Middle East Nations Back Iraqs Fight Vs. Insurgents
WAR: Iraq Sets Election Date For January 30 Despite Fresh Violence UPDATE: Iran and Britain Endorse

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I wonder if some of the insurgents in Bagdad are escapees from Fallujah? The military didnt have near the opposition in Fallujah they thought they would have. It seems that those who escaped the firefight in Fallujah have started in Bagdad. Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
I wonder if some of the insurgents in Bagdad are escapees from Fallujah?

Actually its south of Baghdad. the town that was raided was 50 miles south. it agree though that alot of the insurgents were no doubt from Fallujah and these will scatter too. Its a process of attrition on both sides im afraid.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
I wonder if some of the insurgents in Bagdad are escapees from Fallujah?

Without a doubt. And as soon as Fallujah calms down, they'll move back in there. When you give notice that an assault is going to take place on such and such a date, all you're doing is giving them time to pack up and plan their next move.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
So I guess the government doesn't care if people see this war as American/British imperialism with a name like "Operation Plymouth Rock". I know, Thanksgiving... but still, Plymouth Rock? What is one to think?

new topics

top topics

join