It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Water Shift to Support Las Vegas??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Like others here I have been following the "water Crisis" and whats to come in the following years.
Really all I want to say is keep your commercial hands off of the Great Lakes.

I know it was not mentioned in this thread but it has been discussed, I believe there are numerous threads on the coming water wars.
I have never been to "Sin City" but if it is costing people their lively hoods then good riddance I say.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Oh yeah, I know, and we're paying for it now. Thing is. A lot of those things will grow in just about any garden in the US although the more exotic stuff (almonds, artichokes, olives, etc.) might not. So, it really wouldn't take much to shift some of that production out to other states for at least part of the year. I predict a booming farmer market industry.

I also predict a potential surge in gardens beyond even what we see now with canning and preserves becoming bigger then they already are.

Good thing I've got a leap on the canning bit although I'm mostly just into pickles - peach, watermelon rind and cucumber.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
To me a desalinization network powered by solar and wind makes better sense than pumping massive amounts of groundwater from another location, but then again part of me absolutely, honestly wishes to see the latter plan destroy a whole neighboring ecosystem for no better reason than to be able to point and laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Because I know it's going to happen. I can see it coming...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ArchAngel_X

vegas is working on adding an extra intake pipe much lower down, hoping to be done next year at great expense. because the other 2 are going to be above the water. this whole thing is a problem...where will it end....

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I read somewhere that A desalination plant that has a volume capacity of 128 million gallons a day costs approximately $1.6 billion. That's quite a bit cheaper. Plenty of water in the oceans!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Perhaps it's time to start looking at limits ..and I mean REAL LIMITS to how many people can live in areas which don't naturally support numbers people insist they must move there in. It's not that we have a shortage of space in the US, it's that everyone must pile atop each other like sardines in a can, and often, in the least viable areas for resources to support it.

I grew up in the middle/northern part of the state (depending on if you measure by population or geography) and figured this out as a kid. There's nothing wrong with living in the desert, but you need to have limits on how many people can move there probably by creating an actual immigration program.

If there's only enough water to support 1 million people in Vegas, then that's as large as the city should be allowed to grow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join