It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manufacturers Change Look of AR-15; Rifle Is Now Legal in New York State

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well just redesign an assault rifle like an AR15 and it seems to bypass the law.

Kinda makes the law look thin.

Guess the engineers out-thought the gun killer politicians afterall.

Are the gun control people fuming yet?

It's not easy to legislate "determination" is it?

Manufacturers Change Look of AR-15; Rifle Is Now Legal in New York State

Pass a stupid law, get a stupid result. This, Clash Daily reports is a remodeled AR-15, and it is legal in New York despite the state’s “assault weapons”...

Prototypes for the newly designed AR-15 are hitting gun shops across New York, as gun shops and machinists have designed a rifle that complies with the anti-gun law. At least one gun shop has received a letter from state police saying that the new AR-15 style rifles should be legal in the state as long as they don’t have some of the features that the law prohibits.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
THIS! is epic! the sad part is, i would buy one in a heartbeat

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
That's kind of neat. I would rather keep my pre-WW11 30-30 lever action rifle that I inherited from my dad. It might not look so impressive, but it just feels right in my hands since I have had it for many years. I couldn't get a gun shop to put a scope on it here, they said it would devalue the gun...I asked to buy one and they would not sell me one. I guess I really don't need it anyway, I can get a tight pattern at three hundred yards with it without a scope. All the deer I shot walked right up to me anyway, it's hard to miss at fifty to seventy five feet, unless you have a scope that is not completely snapped into place.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It does give that rifle a unique look, but it is also setting in motion the possible creation of future anti-gun laws based on pure cosmetic changes.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Robb760

It does give that rifle a unique look, but it is also setting in motion the possible creation of future anti-gun laws based on pure cosmetic changes.

No, the problem was the current NY law was all about cosmetics, and had nothing to do with functionality. They passed a stupid law that made no sense.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
From the outset I have been saying that so many people are ignorant when it comes to firearms, yet they are the ones who make the laws apparently. I tried to tell people that you can have an assault rifle that simply looks like a deer rifle, and vice-versa. Their terminology for an assault rifle apparently is anything that looks tactical in nature. Just because a rifle looks like an AR-15 does not mean it is.

It depends on two things imo...First, what round it is chambered in. And secondly, the firing method. If you have a semi-automatic rifle, it should NOT be illegal. If one wants to argue the US Constitution, then theoretically no weapon the government has should be banned from the public, for the simple fact that the Founding Fathers intended the people to have a way to depose a tyrannical government who would use their superior firepower to ensure the fall of democracy. Common sense really, in ANY country. You take away the peoples' method of fighting the government, and essentially the government can get away with WHATEVER they want. But that is not the point of this thread.

So if they really want to ban assault weapons, imo the term only refers to rifles that are fully automatic or burst fire. If it is semi auto, it should be legal. That means you have to pull the trigger for every shot, instead of holding it down to fire repeatedly. Classifying a weapon based on its visual characteristics is quite stupid when you think about it. You could have a fully automatic rifle that firest a 7.62 mm bullet, a fairly powerful round, yet the entire thing can look like whatever you can make it to look like, which is just about anything. You could make it look like a Marlin .22 rifle if you wanted to, although it would have a few larger components, lol.

But I am sure any sane person can understand this, as it is quite simple. I mean you can buy "tactical" .22 caliber rifles for goodness sake. That means it is a small caliber rifle, used for hunting squirrels where I come from, but it looks like an M4 that the US infantry uses. Should THAT be illegal? I don't think so. So I say GOOD for the company who uses these stupid laws against those who made them.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Totally don't like it. Not only is that one ugly gun but the whole idea of having to change the shape of the handle to make it supposedly less "assault weapon" looking offends me to the core.

New York state needs a lot more protests and marches against their leadership and less cosmetic BS.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I must admit....I was hoping it was just going to be a regular AR but painted pink with flowers all over it......

This does a great job of showing how absurd most gun laws are.....especially in places like NY and CHicago

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I myself would never buy one of those abortions. What these idiots did was give in to the crappy ass law that was passed instead of standing their ground. We have a slogan here in nys nowdays and it's everywhere fuac fill in the blanks and it has to do with our current gov. I hope these tools sell very few of those ugly sticks, and people just stand their ground. I will not comply, and I am voting this year with the movement of my family out of this communist state to a sunnier state within the next 6 months. But I will continue to support the people of ny and contribute in anyway I can.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't think "Only in America" will suffice.

I think "Only in New York" is much better!

How utterly stupid can your lawmakers get.

This is just so so stupid.

A standard 10/22 is legal but change it to a different stock and it becomes an assault weapon?

Assaulting who, Squirrels?

The whole wide world is laughing at you, New York. You are the butt end of a punch line!

P

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

I was thinking Hello Kitty stickers myself. That law makes no sense at all/
second line

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

The oldies are the goodies. I wouldn't dream of using any other rifle for hunting besides my good old 91/30.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Robb760

They're going to need another mass shooting, the morons who push for these knee jerk laws forget easily.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This was bound to happen, there is a similar workaround to the laws in the DPRC (Democratic People's Republic of California) which gave birth to this abomination of ergonomics. I'm sure there will be additions to the law the next cycle that will come after this feature or seek to include even dumber criteria. The sad thing is the Anti-2A crowd is continually gaining grown in states like CA, NY, CO, and most of the New England area while quietly gaining in former red strongholds via gerrymanders and will soon be able to foist crap laws like this upon the places we once considered safe havens of gun ownership (and various other constitutionally protected rights).

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

You mention how people are ignorant and then go on to say fully automatic firearms are illegal........Maybe you should do a little research.

Many,many,many people legally own fully automatic firearms under class 3. You can also legally own a silencer.

It is funny how many people think they are being pro-gun when in fact they are hurting the very cause they are trying to help because of the ignorance you mentioned.......Carry on.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Automatic firearms are usually above the $20,000+ range, which most people can't afford, along with a class 3 tax stamp. Also, you can't manufacture automatic firearms, the only automatic weapons a civilian can own are pre-1986. Some people do own them, rich people.

That's one ugly rifle. The best of a bad situation though, I guess.
edit on 11-2-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   

edit on 2/11/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

But ass ugly, but still get's the job done.

Enjoy NY!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This should impress the people who still want to live out their video game dreams. Why people would waste their money on a joke of a weapon makes no sense. Get a real weapon for defending your home like a 12 gauge or a 308, 30.06 or another caliber that gets the job done in one shot.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

network dude

But ass ugly, but still get's the job done.

Enjoy NY!

It gets the job done if you want to use a whole clip. You can put five rounds into a person and they will still keep coming.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join