It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Centuries-old fabric found in Çatalhöyük

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

Excavations works that have been continuing in the earliest settlement of Çatalhöyük in the central Anatolian province of Konya have revealed a 9,000-year-old piece of linen fabric. The world’s first hemp-weaved fabric has been found in the ground of a burned house.

The report about the new findings includes the process between June 15 and Aug. 15. More than 120 people from 22 countries worked for the excavations in this process. The most striking thing on the report is this fabric, which was wrapped around a baby skeleton.

Wrapped around a baby 9,000 years ago, wow.

“This piece of linen, which is weaved very thin, most probably came from the eastern Mediterranean from the central Anatolia. It is already known that obsidians and sea shells had been exchanged in long-distance trade in the Middle East during the Neolithic era. But this fabric may have revealed another side of the trade.”

Çatalhöyük seems to fascinate me above all other places on earth.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I had never heard of Çatalhöyük.

Sounds interesting, I need to look up more info on the place.

Looks like this might be a good place for me to start: www.catalhoyuk.com...
edit on 2/3/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Wow Linen with woven hemp in...9000 years ago, you just blew mind mind again OP.
Great to think we were pretty much exactly the same people so long ago.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

ATS has a few topics on it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

That's pretty awesome stormdancer,
Thanks for posting.
There is very good evidence that the advent of textile manufacture, goes much farther back than that.
Objects that look remarkably like spindle whorls, used in the spining of yarn or threads, have been
found near the norther black sea@20,000 years old, and similar objects have been found in association with certain magdelanian sites in western Europe. The solutreans also made ropes and cordage, from natural fibres and hair.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

punkinworks10

That's pretty awesome stormdancer,
Thanks for posting.
There is very good evidence that the advent of textile manufacture, goes much farther back than that.
Objects that look remarkably like spindle whorls, used in the spining of yarn or threads, have been
found near the norther black sea@20,000 years old, and similar objects have been found in association with certain magdelanian sites in western Europe. The solutreans also made ropes and cordage, from natural fibres and hair.

Thank you for that info,

new topics

top topics

join