It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Man Buried Astride His Beloved Harley. "Biker revs it into the hereafter".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Here's something you don't see or hear about everyday (or ever). Thought it was worth posting.

RIP

MECHANICSBURG, Ohio — Bill Standley was the kind of guy who lived life exactly the way he wanted, usually while riding a motorcycle or a horse.

Standley was buried yesterday straddling his Harley-Davidson motorcycle in a casket made of Plexiglas and plywood. It was a funeral he started planning 18 years ago, long before he could have known about the cancer that killed him on Sunday at age 82.

David Vernon, director of the Skillman, McDonald and Vernon Funeral Home in Mechanicsburg, said that, when Standley first asked him about it, Vernon gave him one condition:

“I told him, ‘I have no problem doing this for you, but I don’t want you to come off that motorcycle.’ ”

So Standley and his sons designed a brace that hooked into the bike and led up his back to surround his rib cage. Five years ago, Standley went before the Champaign County Board of Health, which told him he’d have to come up with a special vault and drain all the fluids out of the bike before he could be buried with it.

Story link

Additional photos here

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
A little weird in my book, but whatever floats his boat.

We do have a lot of avid motorcycle lover's here in Ohio so I'm not surprised by this at all.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'd have to say, this is quite unique. Kudos to the family, for making his final wish come to fruition.

Being a rider myself, I was happy to see this.

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well as far as a biker fanatic goes, he's going out with style. Kudo's. Though we're all going to be cremated, couldn't stand the idea of buriel.
edit on 2-2-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Definitely weird, but that was his wish. I couldn't help from thinking about some Harley fanatic robbing his grave of his motorcycle in the middle of the night. I wouldn't be surprised if some deviant person is thinking about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Now there's a man that knew the secret to long life...Harley. You can't let yourself get old and ride. It's great that they let him have his request. I wonder how long they will allow him to be buried that way? The grave is rather shallow from the top of the box to the surface, it looks to be about 2 feet. That to me would suggest it is only temporary and maybe only for the service and then after everyone has left, having him placed in a proper casket.

Just my $.02

new topics

top topics

join