It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some quotes from SOTU. Maybe there is something valuable in there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Anyone catch the SOTU?

I like these quotes:

"The very key to our success has been our ability, foremost among nations, to preserve our lasting values by making change work for us rather than against us."

This hit the mark too:

"The problems we inherited were far worse than most inside and out of government had expected; the recession was deeper than most inside and out of government had predicted. Curing those problems has taken more time and a higher toll than any of us wanted."

Any politically astute folks out there with comments?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
How do you preserve lasting values by changing them?

And the second quote is blaming the previous administration for all his problems. Classic Blame Bush.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

The very key to our success has been our ability, foremost among nations, to preserve our lasting values by making change work for us rather than against us.

What a contradiction. You don't have to be politically astute to see that. In fact, it helps if you're not. Anyone who desires the power to rule doesn't deserve it, anyone who wants to be a politician doesn't deserve to be one. The people that should be handling politics, aka the best candidates for ruling, are those with higher moral values. Those that live life in the now, and care about others. Those that don't have any desire to rule or tell others how to live. Those are the ones that deserve to tell people how to live, but because of this blazing contradiction, politics will always, always, always be corrupt.

The problems we inherited were far worse than most inside and out of government had expected; the recession was deeper than most inside and out of government had predicted. Curing those problems has taken more time and a higher toll than any of us wanted.

What a perfectly engineered statement by whoever writes the president's speeches. Seriously though, how stupid do they think we are? Let me translate this quote for you in laymens' terms:

"Everything is f***ed up as usual. We didn't think it would get this bad, so it's not our fault."

The biggest crock of BS I've ever heard in my life.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

ketsuko

And the second quote is blaming the previous administration for all his problems. Classic Blame Bush.

I know, right?

Did I mention that these quotes were from Reagan's SOTU in 1983? Oops.

link

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

ScrufferMcGruffer

The very key to our success has been our ability, foremost among nations, to preserve our lasting values by making change work for us rather than against us.

What a contradiction. You don't have to be politically astute to see that. In fact, it helps if you're not. Anyone who desires the power to rule doesn't deserve it, anyone who wants to be a politician doesn't deserve to be one. The people that should be handling politics, aka the best candidates for ruling, are those with higher moral values. Those that live life in the now, and care about others. Those that don't have any desire to rule or tell others how to live. Those are the ones that deserve to tell people how to live, but because of this blazing contradiction, politics will always, always, always be corrupt.

The problems we inherited were far worse than most inside and out of government had expected; the recession was deeper than most inside and out of government had predicted. Curing those problems has taken more time and a higher toll than any of us wanted.

What a perfectly engineered statement by whoever writes the president's speeches. Seriously though, how stupid do they think we are? Let me translate this quote for you in laymens' terms:

"Everything is f***ed up as usual. We didn't think it would get this bad, so it's not our fault."

The biggest crock of BS I've ever heard in my life.

Yep. Garbage. That's my assessment too. Did I mention that these quotes were from Reagan's SOTU in 1983? Oops.

link

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So some clever speechwriter wrote these "gems" for us to swallow without thinking too much about them.

I'm not seeing how change is working "for us, rather than against us". All I see is everything getting worse and worse. He provided no proof that things are getting better.

Then, in case we actually THOUGHT about the nonsense that was that statement, he tries to say that, after five years in office, the problems were "worse than anticipated" and are taking longer to correct. Seriously? He's created more problems than he's fixed. In fact, all the problems that he inherited he has made a thousand times worse, basically following the same road his predecessor did.

The state of the union address is nothing but trying to put glitter on a gigantic turd and selling it as gold.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I loved the parts where he mentioned if congress wasn't willing to do what he wanted he will just continue to use executive orders to get them through. He said that a couple times and apparently our POTUS doesn't understand you can't just keep playing that card! That is not how our system is designed to work, AT ALL! There are reasons for the Democrat/Republican thing, although it is stupid and I hate it, it is designed to make people with different opinions work through the issues to make it the best FOR THE PEOPLE!!!

I know this doesn't happen, at all! There needs to be a complete reboot from the ground up and start fresh! The 2 party crap needs to disappear also but the system in it's most general terms makes sense, if used properly! Which they aren't! But since I just ran in circles posting here I will end it with...

This was a giant waste of time to listen to because it is a bunch of empty promises, like I anticipated in the first place! Let's get the people fired up about me and show that I can rally everyone to my side.....What crap!

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I was pretty much commenting, which T&C's forbid, throughout the entire speech with my friends. It wasn't a SOTU speech by any stretch, but rather another blase campaign speech.

And this cat has two more years to divide and screw us up even more.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

ketsuko

I know, right?

link

Well done!

An excellent way of both making & proving a point.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

ketsuko

I know, right?

link

Hahaha, That is hilarious InverseLookingGlass ... well played. However, I predict this will still turn into a Obama bashing thread anyways, beezzer will be here in 5, 4, 3, 2 ...
edit on 29-1-2014 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

The state of the union address is nothing but trying to put glitter on a gigantic turd and selling it as gold

I think that is true and beyond debate.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

"The very key to our success....."

What success?

They should re-name the address to "The state the unions in"

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

EA006

"The very key to our success....."

What success?

They should re-name the address to "The state the unions in"

Everyone should be skeptical of the SOTU.

link

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I found this part particularly poignant.

So, let us, in these next 2 years - men and women of both parties, every political shade - concentrate on the long-range, bipartisan responsibilities of government, not the short-range or short-term temptations of partisan politics.

Well done.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
For starters, that was a pretty slick move there ILG and I commend you for how well you orchestrated it! F&S for the OP!

Now, on to this quote;

Chrisfishenstein
There needs to be a complete reboot from the ground up and start fresh! The 2 party crap needs to disappear also but the system in it's most general terms makes sense, if used properly! Which they aren't! But since I just ran in circles posting here I will end it with...

I've heard a lot of people talk about how we should do away with the 2 party system, (mostly those who currently occupy the minority position) and I have a question;

Just seeing how divided the country currently is under a 2 party system, where one party must win a majority to occupy the oval office, just how divided do you think we'd be if the guy in the White House got there with only 35% of the vote? No really, I'm serious.

IMO, we'd never get anything done if we faced a scenario where close to 2/3 of the people didn't vote for the guy in office or his policies.

While I agree that the system we have in place now isn't perfect, I don't see the "unification" benefit of a 3 or 4 party system. If anything, I would have to view it as just another "divide & conquer" strategy being propagated by those who have come to the realization that they may never again re-gain a true majority.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

ETA: I like the 2 party system....IF USED PROPERLY! Which we don't....So we need to change it or change the players....One of the two!
edit on 1/29/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein

ETA: I like the 2 party system....IF USED PROPERLY! Which we don't....So we need to change it or change the players....One of the two!

I agree that our current system needs to be tweaked, but not abandoned. For instance, I think a good place to start would be to outlaw all paid lobbying of public officials and eliminate the electoral college.

I'm sure there are other things that could be done as well and it shouldn't be all that hard to do if we just develop the collective political will to get it done.

According to this guy, it's not that complicated. We just need to "FIX IT!"

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I'm personally ready to dump the two parties we have now. I'd like to see 5-6. That way you could actually vote for someone that isn't the lesser of two evils.

The governing majority can be created with a coalition. I was fascinated by the action in the UK where far right and far left had to make a coalition to reach a majority.

The two parties in the US are only concerned with self preservation and not governing IMO. It's dysfunctional.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The two parties in the US are only concerned with self preservation and not governing IMO. It's dysfunctional.

That's the truth. All they're concerned with (most of them)..(pretty much all of them), is the next election, and their winning it. All season they campaign for upcoming elections, and on the taxpayers dime. They wear a cloak to cover what they are doing, but all they are doing is running for the next election instead of being concerned with the one they just won. Always posturing.

new topics

top topics

join