It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marlboro man dies of Lung cancer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Its kind of ironic in a way that this well known icon of cigarette advertisement died of lung cancer no?

ERIC Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72.

Lawson died on January 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said.

Full story here :

www.news.com.au...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Well I guess the word that can be spoken about this is IRONIC....

RIP Marlboro man, your commercials will be missed! To those of the younger generation, you probably haven't seen any tobacco commercials since they aren't allowed to advertise anymore....But this guy was Mr. Cool back in the day!

Can't say I am surprised though....
edit on 1/28/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What a sad coincidence,

a coincidence and nothing more you hear me?!?

link   

edit on 28-1-2014 by Indigent because: double post :O

link   
COPD is not cancer, but closely related, still stands the irony. More so to add to the irony, he's not the first icon of the company to pass away from lung complications. Funny how the most dangerous smoke is not vilified in the media, ah, follow the money.
edit on 28-1-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I think this article jumped the gun; although Mr. Lawson died due to a smoking related illness (COPD), it wasn't lung cancer. From all the articles I've read, this is the only article mentioning lung cancer. Perhaps the author assumed COPD was equivalent to, or a by-product of lung cancer.

Either way, I guess it is a bit ironic that he died due to his smoking habits. Nevertheless, it is always sad and tragic to lose a life. RIP Mr. Lawson.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Pistoche

Agreed with you and dreaming, my post title might be a bit misleading but this was the title that i copy pasted from the original article.

Still ironic though that the dreaded cigarette finally got him!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Rodinus
Lawson died on January 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said.

Since when is COPD lung cancer?

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

dreamingawake
More so to add to the irony, he's not the first icon of the company to pass away from lung complications.

Very true and very telling IMO.

Why I quit smoking cigs a few years ago. Best decision one can ever make IMO.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Did you take time to read the posts above yours?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
How is this ironic??

He was a mascot of a product known to kill you in this way.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

It's crazy to see these icons die off. I remember hearing of Yul Brynner, he died close to time I was born. I think he had started smoking at like 11 or 12 then went on and did public service announcement before death.

I know my dad started smoking when he was seven.

Different life for the silent and baby boomer generations that's for sure .

Only time I ever smoked was when I drank and I don't really drink much anymore.

I have two cigars hidden in my office. I don't know why as my girlfriend knows I have them. I haven't smoked them but I always like them there so I know there's the option of smoking them if I feel like it.

When and if I do smoke them I'm going all out.

12 pack of budweiser, cigar, frozen pizza, and the next Elder Scrolls game.

That will be how it's done.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I hope I live to 72

COPD can come from the body breaking down the elastins and then it degrades the lungs. Somehow there is too much of an enzyme that does it. There are many reasons that this system can be screwed up. Making sure you get enough elastin binding protein in your diet is needed to deter this because a lack of the raw materials. I don't think any medicines used to treat this condition actually fix this problem presently. The heart also is effected and sometimes there are problems with the skin.
edit on 28-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Eh ??? Thought he died years ago ..

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by Rodinus

Well I guess the word that can be spoken about this is IRONIC....

RIP Marlboro man, your commercials will be missed! To those of the younger generation, you probably haven't seen any tobacco commercials since they aren't allowed to advertise anymore....But this guy was Mr. Cool back in the day!

Can't say I am surprised though....
edit on 1/28/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

Yep the old come to where the flavor is. Except a few other things came along with that flavor like lung and heart disease, emphysema and other ailments.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I still hold to my theory that, while certainly not healthy, smoking tobacco isn't the reason for a lot of these cases of cancer in the previous generations. Asbestos is many, many times more likely to cause lung cancer when inhaled. Virtually every building constructed from the 30s to the late 80s featured asbestos. 30 years later we're all to believe that just entering an old building without a respirator, risking inhalation of a single speck of asbestos, can cause lung cancer... yet smoking always gets the accusatory finger of blame when an older American falls to the disease.

Cigs take the blame because of the litigiousness of asbestos related illness. A great example is Merlin Olsen's lawsuit against 20th Century Fox... the only reason that went forward was thanks to Olsen being a Mormon who never touched a tobacco product. Asbestos exposure is usually related to workplace safety conditions, thus it is very much a player in occupational hazzard lawsuit and workman's compensation cases. Much easier and more compact to lay blame at the doorstep of the handfull of big tobacco companies and deal with lung cancer lawsuits via class-action litigations that tend to control individual payouts to manageable sums than to open the door up to thousands of occupational hazard cases, each of which would cost employers millions to settle.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Man... who would have thought cigarettes cause lung cancer.

I thought it was big pharma trying to milk money out of people.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
In my timeline the Marlboro Man is still alive and smoking is good for you.

Oh wait, I meant timeframe.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
My calculus professor, probably 70 by now.. he told me when he was young, they had these x-ray machines in shoe store that allows you to look at your feet through the shoes.

It was banned because it caused cancer.... He cursed that for his cancer(hope he is still alive).

edit: Anyone by chance know what he was talking about?
edit on 1/28/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Radioactive agents also used to be ingested because people thought they were healthy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join