It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationist short films: amazingly well done

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

like what? I am interested in the dark side of things as well....what did you have in mind?
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

When I see arguments for creation one of the points is everything comes from god. So the wicked plagues (viruses and such) came from him as well. Things like this are never put forward and discussed because folks seem to have issue finding beauty in things that cause death and disease. They show butterflies and mountains. Seems sort of one sided in the vids I come across.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

isn't there only but one dark side to a Christian? Sin?
reply to post by Jarring

I think we are discussing creation not doctrine. I have no comment for this thread concerning doctrine.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

drivers1492

like what? I am interested in the dark side of things as well....what did you have in mind?

When I see arguments for creation one of the points is everything comes from god. So the wicked plagues (viruses and such) came from him as well. Things like this are never put forward and discussed because folks seem to have issue finding beauty in things that cause death and disease. They show butterflies and mountains. Seems sort of one sided in the vids I come across.

God's wrath is very interesting to me. He tells me to turn away from sin, and I ask...what about wrath? It is everywhere I turn? haha, jokingly of course, I understand he means inherently.

Exodus is my favorite book in the Bible.
edit on 01/24/14 by Jarring because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

drivers1492

I think there is a pretty good understanding that we humans create most of the "bad" things you are talking about. Many of the new diseases are made by humans in labs and then knowingly thrust out into the population. Many older diseases are from lack of hygiene and cancers seem to be from things we choose to do like smoking etc. Heart disease and diabetes are from bad health choices.....

I think Christians think that most of the bad things on earth are because of man and his evil nature and of course....the devil thing too.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

drivers1492

I think there is a pretty good understanding that we humans create most of the "bad" things you are talking about. Many of the new diseases are made by humans in labs and then knowingly thrust out into the population. Many older diseases are from lack of hygiene and cancers seem to be from things we choose to do like smoking etc. Heart disease and diabetes are from bad health choices.....

I think Christians think that most of the bad things on earth are because of man and his evil nature and of course....the devil thing too.

true, but the Bible does speak of God's wrath

exodus, the flood, etc.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Unfortunately I must first install plug-ins to watch the clips.

I have been watching a lot of clips on science vs. creationism lately.

I think there might have been a creator, but it hasn't been proven.

Evangelical "young earth" creationism is probably one of the most off-putting things about fundamentalist Christianity for me.

I also followed the ISKCON philosophy for a long time, and they believe in a very "old earth" cycle of creation caused by Krishna, and I find this more believable.
It still has little place for physical evolution (instead it focuses on the evolution of the soul through reincarnation from lower consciousness bodies to higher consciousness forms).

Well, if anyone has a proof of a specific creator God then they must provide it according to the standards of science.
Otherwise it is religion and not science.

Currently, young earth creationism (sometimes revamped as "intelligent design") seems more like propaganda for social control.
So, creationists would falsely say we are just "swamp soup" or "monkeys", and evolution therefore teaches that we have no morals and can do anything we like.
That argument completely ignores millions of years of painstaking adaption.

I think religion robs us of our intrinsic values and humans rights, for example, by saying we are born into original sin due to mainly Eve.
Taking a basis for a world-view from given fiction is not science, or any real investigation of the world.

It's tells us we were made from dust and ribs, and we are lower than crap, and born for hell unless we accept Jesus through a prayer that's not even in the Bible.

Simplistically, I'd rather come from "primordial soup" and "monkeys".
This gives me more value as a human being than religions, or some of their current renditions.
Religions have made some very good people do evil things, so it is more a corruption of morality than anything inherently good.

But yeah, it is a problem for US-styled Christian fundamentalists when they try to missionize, because I tell them their story of Jesus is nice enough, but now to accept this I must believe pseudo-science and ridiculous word games?
They astoundingly claim there is "evolution", but it is only "micro-evolution", but a wolf turning into a poodle is evolution, and there is no difference between macro and micro-evolution simply because some languages class them as the same "kind".
The bodies have changed, and with enough differences so will the labels.

I must believe the world was created 6000 years ago?
I am expected to believe that the world was created before the domestication of the dog, and dinosaurs are still living today (they hide very well, I must add)?
How on earth can it happen that some people sit and thumb-suck things and then millions of people believe it, and science is expected to rework itself and long established theories?
This is insane.
And it's often the same people who harp on about the doctrine of the rapture, and debunked conspiracies about microchips and the Book of Revelations, and a whole pile of other nonsense.

It's totally absurd, but then religion is a performance to make the absurd seem normal.
Apart from that I've yet to find proof that any religion has succeeded in making societies more moral.
Yeah, they all have some charity, but so do many movements.
They also make huge profits for the gurus or church leaders.
Statistics don't show it has the cure for divorce, or poverty or anything really.
It's more like a big, useless defense mechanism.

I now see myself aligned with Christianity culturally and historically.
It was after all the culture of Da Vinci and Michelangelo.
There are bigger problems in the world, but it's actually funny and surprising how far this can go, and what we are expected to accept.

edit on 28-1-2014 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if we all talk about the same supreme being...

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The message is the usual mix of faith and pseudo-science that permeates the creationist message.

However, as suggested in the OP, turn down the volume and simply enjoy the wonders of the world.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

SuperFrog
Sometimes I wonder if we all talk about the same supreme being...

so, do you think that the universe and all existence is out of mere happenstance? I mean, I know you must give into reason, but it seems like this is what this video is suggesting.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Jarring
so, do you think that the universe and all existence is out of mere happenstance? I mean, I know you must give into reason, but it seems like this is what this video is suggesting.

This is something I saw as kid, and still believe its valid theory and timescale....

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

SuperFrog

Jarring

This is something I saw as kid, and still believe its valid theory and timescale....

haha, i can see how cool that must have been to have been subject to as a kid! Sounds interesting, no? I was born a Catholic
and lemme tell ya, it was definitely no walk in the park for me. Confirmed in 8th grade, just to turn agnostic next year. I didn't come back to Christianity until much later in life...inadvertently...I just happened to run into Christ in my mind while going through some years of mental evolution. Born again Christian ever since.

btw, Isaac Asimov is my favorite author

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I've never cared for that line of thought. It's man's fault because he is evil. To point out though, if I don't have good hygiene, do the bacteria and viruses not exist? It would seem that yes, choices can and do increase the exposure rate and give a place for things to fester, but they don't simply come into being. Point is god made them, and they are beautiful in what they do but very destructive. Simply chalking it up to being man's fault for his nature is turning a blind eye to the subject imo.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Jarring
haha, i can see how cool that must have been to have been subject to as a kid! Sounds interesting, no? I was born a Catholic
and lemme tell ya, it was definitely no walk in the park for me. Confirmed in 8th grade, just to turn agnostic next year. I didn't come back to Christianity until much later in life...inadvertently...I just happened to run into Christ in my mind while going through some years of mental evolution. Born again Christian ever since.

Well, never been believer, born and raised without religion. Having 2 kids of my own, doing the same thing.

Asimov was great writer and thinker of last century. Unfortunately, many of his quotes are so true.. like this one:

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
Isaac Asimov

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

SuperFrog

Jarring

Well, never been believer, born and raised without religion. Having 2 kids of my own, doing the same thing.

Asimov was great writer and thinker of last century. Unfortunately, many of his quotes are so true.. like this one:

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.
Isaac Asimov

I can understand how someone being born and raised without religion would completely reject anything it would have to offer. It seems kind of outrageous from an outsiders point of view at times. For me, the most important part of religion is the knowledge of sin...even a non-believer can't deny the affects pride and other cardinal sin has on is.

My favorite quote by Isaac Asimov was from the movie Light Years/Gandahar that he translated. I watched it as a kid, wasn't even affected by the nudity in it, was normal. Too young for any prejudice of it.

We speak of time and mind, which do not easily yield to categories. We separate past and future and find that time is an amalgam of both. We separate good and evil and find that mind is an amalgam of both. To understand, we must grasp the whole. Isaac Asimov

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Jarring
I can understand how someone being born and raised without religion would completely reject anything it would have to offer. It seems kind of outrageous from an outsiders point of view at times. For me, the most important part of religion is the knowledge of sin...even a non-believer can't deny the affects pride and other cardinal sin has on is.

Out of interest for religion, and due to many discussions with religious people, I read both Bible (2 of them in 2 different languages) and Qur'an (again, 2 different languages) and took religion class in college. As someone who enjoys in history, I see evolution of religion follow first civilizations, but for me so called scriptures are actually just extent of mythology - just the same as we today take Greek, Roman and other religions as mythology.

Someone posted this NG video on different topic - it is a bit lengthy compared to your videos, but tell me, do you think this is what happened or not?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

UxoriousMagnus

drivers1492

Humans don't create most of the bad things. We didn't create the Bubonic Plague, we didn't create Smallpox, we didn't create Influenza, we didn't create Polio. Those diseases I just mentioned all ravaged our population during the past with huge epidemics. If God exists, they are all creations of God as well.

Cancer isn't a modern thing either. We didn't just start getting cancer because of smoking or poor lifestyle choices. Cancer has existed along side life for pretty much forever.

History of cancer

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

UxoriousMagnus

drivers1492

Humans don't create most of the bad things. We didn't create the Bubonic Plague, we didn't create Smallpox, we didn't create Influenza, we didn't create Polio. Those diseases I just mentioned all ravaged our population during the past with huge epidemics. If God exists, they are all creations of God as well.

Cancer isn't a modern thing either. We didn't just start getting cancer because of smoking or poor lifestyle choices. Cancer has existed along side life for pretty much forever.

History of cancer

Well....we have had billions of years to "evolution" these diseases out of us.....what happened?

It's not God's fault....it is ours for not evolving it out.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If he created everything per creationist claim then yes I'm sorry it does fall to god. Scripture shows that god has no issue claiming his creation of everything up to and including evil so one would assume he/her/it has no issue with the things mentioned. I'm not really sure why you seem to though.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

drivers1492

If he created everything per creationist claim then yes I'm sorry it does fall to god. Scripture shows that god has no issue claiming his creation of everything up to and including evil so one would assume he/her/it has no issue with the things mentioned. I'm not really sure why you seem to though.

you are missing my point....people that believe in evolution believe that we are constantly evolving to perfection or a "better specie" so why wouldn't we evolve past the most obvious stuff like disease?

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

you are missing my point....people that believe in evolution believe that we are constantly evolving to perfection or a "better specie" so why wouldn't we evolve past the most obvious stuff like disease?

Because those things are evolving as well. It's not a stagnant world we live in. So I would say I didn't miss your point in any way your just over simplifying the issue of evolution. But whether or not things evolve is irrelevant, what is relevant is these things exist and according to scripture that is due to god's hand, therefore god's responsibility not ours. Our only responsibility is to try and avoid potential hazards the god created for some unknown reason.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join