It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of human progress. Are we in the process of self extermination?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I listened to a speech by Chris Hedges (back in Oct 2013, I searched and did not find anywhere.) and I was moved to offer it to this community. The written transcription is lengthy but worth the read. Listening is even better, as you can hear the passion in his voice and the dead silence in the room.

More so that any other journalist or author, I have deep respect for his work. I don't know him personally.

I believe he is building on the previous work by giants such as Orwell, Huxley and Melville. Some of you reading this may be familiar with those gents.

Link to full transcript

The most prescient portrait of the American character and our ultimate fate as a species is found in Herman Melville’s “Moby Dick.” Melville makes our murderous obsessions, our hubris, violent impulses, moral weakness and inevitable self-destruction visible in his chronicle of a whaling voyage.

I don't know about you, but I didn't previously see this in Moby Dick. Maybe it was the corporate programming of my youth?

But when a man suspects any wrong, it sometimes happens that if he be already involved in the matter, he insensibly strives to cover up his suspicions even from himself. And much this way it was with me. I said nothing, and tried to think nothing.”

Anybody notice this? I notice myself doing this. Conspiracy Theorists are likely on the road to shedding these chains. Keep going.

The corporate assault on culture, journalism, education, the arts and critical thinking has left those who speak this truth marginalized and ignored, frantic Cassandras who are viewed as slightly unhinged and depressingly apocalyptic. We are consumed by a mania for hope, which our corporate masters lavishly provide, at the expense of truth.

I resemble that comment. Anyone else?

To emotionally accept impending disaster, to attain the gut-level understanding that the power elite will not respond rationally to the devastation of the ecosystem, is as difficult to accept as our own mortality. The most daunting existential struggle of our time is to ingest this awful truth—intellectually and emotionally—and rise up to resist the forces that are destroying us.

That is so good, I'll just let it be the end of the post.
Anyone else have thoughts on this piece by Hedges? Plenty to like for "doomers".
Doomers and whistle blowers are my heroes. How about you?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Hedges in an invaluable observer or our present world situation. He holds firmly to a moral interpretation of the world gained from his Christian and theological training. He first came to my attention in 07 with his book " American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America"

en.wikipedia.org...

In the years since, I have followed his writings with interest. He seems to me to be getting more and more urgent as the years go by and the world pays little attention to him and others with warnings such as his.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Self-extermination? Our species? Don't get my hopes up...

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

Yes.

The system we have created is collapsing under the weight of its own excessive complexity and poor planning and the refusal to make meaningful mid course corrections as it is perceived that such actions might impact return on investment by the wealthy

and creature comforts and convenience.

Our society is addicted to creature comforts and that it's killing the oceans and casing the 5th great mass extinction of species doesn't seem to bother very many people at all.

new topics

top topics

join