It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background checks need to end

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Making a mistake once can ruin your entire life. It's pathetic, no matter how much distance you gain from the state of mind you were in, your record will follow you all your life. Being a felon makes it almost impossible to have a job. Thank God I finally found a job that didn't background check and i love my job. Prayers for all those who can't find jobs with or without a criminal record. It just takes my joy away and makes me depressed and scared and suicidal. (no, i won't do it, i just think of it alot). Grr.

/endrant

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FinalAccount2008

Don't feel too bad, now even if you're not a felon you can be denied jobs.

I fell behind on bills due to outrageous hardships and was denied multiple jobs in my field which was financial. Never cheated or stole from anyone. Never got wrote up for any shady activities(high competition field where many cheated and fudged numbers).

Now I am trying to get surgery so I can truck. Not even what I am probably good at but looks like that's where I am headed because can't get a job in my original field anymore because of ONE charged off credit card.

Don't feel too bad, everyone's #ed these days.

Unless you're buddies with someone in high places or you may as well just hit yourself with a hammer.

edit on 24-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
And that is why so many people go back to prison because they find it hard to cope on the outside how are they suppose to survive
without a job if they dont get given a chance the government's dont care they will send you on your way after you have done your time with nothing im not condoning crime but i do sympathise with people that have made mistakes especially the younger generation and they dont even get help to get them on their feet, they end up getting back into their old habits because what have they really got? you definitely got lucky there with a job good luck with that!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

My view is this, assuming it was a non-violent crime - Once you pay your debt to society, whether it be by probation/fines/jail, your debt should be considered repayed and all your rights should be restored, assuming you're not a habitual offender. (Habitual offenders are another topic). After a period of time, the general public (in this case employers) should not be able to see your background. However, I believe law enforcement should always be able to access a record.

In regards to period of time, using a non-violent felony such as drug possession (not saying I actually agree with current laws in that area) or credit card abuse as an example, I would say the period of time should be atleast a few years, maybe between 3-5. I choose a few years after probation or jail as a way to show you're not reoffending after you completed your debt.

Im open to hear new idea's about this and may end up changing my views one way or another after hearing others opinions.

edit on 24-1-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Some background checks are some peoples person opinions as well. I remember a guy who had file created on him by the FBI, the contents of which, ruin his life for over 20 years. He couldn't get a passport, couldn't get a government job etc., Many years later the FBI say "they got it wrong". There was a documentary and a book or something called The File I think.
edit on 24-1-2014 by Frankinpillow because: spelling problem.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Sounds like you could do with following the UK on this one. So long as all sentences have been served there generally isn't a background check. Exceptions are working with children/vulnerable people where you will undergo a criminal records beurau (CRB) check, but even then I think so long as your crime wasn't abusive in any way you should be OK!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
"No amount of economic growth will land you a job if you get unfairly snagged in the FBI's faulty background check system. And you can lose your job because of the FBI file inaccuracies, too.

After working without incident at a Philadelphia port for 33 years, Russ F. was told he was out of a job when a newly required post-9/11 security clearance check found an arrest dating back to 1971. Charges were never filed, and Russ was never prosecuted.

But the nearly 40-year-old arrest was reported on his FBI background check with no additional information, and Russ needed months to track down documentation to prove he had never been convicted or even charged with a crime. Only then could he regain his job."

edition.cnn.com...

How many people has this happen to and don't know it?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Not sure about your state laws but here in Nebraska, we can request to have them esponged from records after 7 years. If you have not gotten in to trouble since then.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kllyblvn

I pled guilty to a felony so it will never be expunged.

effin life

new topics

top topics

join