It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New study: 50% of Black and 40% of White males arrested by age 23.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihiloRed

I absolutely did not. I didnt change any of what you commented on. I added more to the bottom and was adding it before I had read your comment.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

There is no doubt that 99.9% of the people convicted of crimes are actually guilty. That .1% is unfortunate, but not the norm.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

The Camden police force is no more or less militant than others. Every police force across this country is becoming militarized.

And yes I know plenty about Camden.
edit on 23-1-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

ExNihiloRed
reply to post by Visitor2012

I can understand and agree that certain law enforcement officers may be corrupt, but I just don't think it is the norm. Although, recently, when I've dealt with police officers they have been as* holes to me. Still...

No, no more still...most people need to wake up... the storm is coming and it ain't going away...

imo...

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You're too shortsighted. You cannot have a system that does not prosecute victimless crimes like you set forth. Would you prefer a system of bright line laws (e.g., no urinating in public) or once completely based on discretion? The sentencing is discretionary for that exact reason. You well get a lower sentence even though as a technical matter you violated the letter of the law. If you piss outside, you will get busted for public exposure and urinating in public. If you're drunk in public, you will get busted for public drunkenness. That is the law. If you don't like the law, petition your congressman and get some grassroot campaigning going and have the legislature change the law. The executive branch (what police are part of) enforce the law with the judiciary. Police do their jobs when you break the law and they arrest you. If you have a problem with the laws, it is not a problem with police.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

The Camden police force is decimated and practically nonexistent as of date.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Okay.. I dont argue with people who make up statistics and I especially dont argue with people that dont know enough to make up a decent statistic.

Do a little research.

If you had made up a realistic statistic I would have made the point that most of those people are guilty of things they probably shouldnt be arrested for anyway (just so you cant say I copped out). You apparently missed my point about cops enforcing b.s. laws.

My assessment does explain why cops have gotten so much worse and value lives so little. Cops are just tax collectors with guns. They make money for the prisons or the govt depending on jail or fine.
you can be arrested for being drunk outside a bar, or killed for approaching one unarmed. If you cant see the extremes and militarization then you need to open your eyes.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Yeah.. and its because of politicians taking the money. Same with Detroit. What is the relevance? They still dress up in swat gear and put cops armed on the approved corners.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I did not make up a statistic. To be clear, I said I have no doubt. The statistic was one of opinion. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

ExNihiloRed
reply to post by gladtobehere

I think this reflects more poorly on the shape of our society, culture, and the people in it than the law enforcement and the laws of each state and the federal government. People don't have values and respect for others or the law anymore. It doesn't help much when celebrities and other role models for children in this country (regardless if they are our chosen role models, they are role models) have no respect for others or the law. Look at all of the "idols" that kids look up to and the message they send kids (e.g. Bieber's DUI, etc. today).
edit on 23-1-2014 by ExNihiloRed because: (no reason given)

That argument would only make sense if they hadn't added any laws to the books in the last 100 years. But since they've added thousands….

=/

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

So, what exactly are people arrested for that they should not be?

And, what makes you the ultimate arbiter of what people should be arrested for?

People (the majority, not just you or I) elect their state and federal representatives. Those individuals make the laws. Minority viewpoints do not get much done in a democratic republic.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I wonder why you still live in America. If it is as bad as you say, I'm surprised we aren't getting foreign aid to free us from the tyranny and oppression.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Imagine if they factored in traffic violations...

Asians would eclipse the rest of us. I kid. I know, I know, reported. That was more love speech though. Not an ounce of hate behind it.

I don't know a single dude that's been arrested that doesn't admit he deserved to be. Vast majority are white, vast majority for drinking and driving. You can't really argue that. I completely deserved to get my DUI. I don't think the cop was like "Oh look, a male, let's ignore the females and target him!" No. I was driving like a dumbass and got what was coming to me. Glad I did too.

I wasn't able to review the actual study. I got something that linked to something else, that linked to nothing.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I dont think you know what shortsighted means. I would rather people not be arrested for urinating outside at all. I would rather people not have to fear stepping outside the bar to smoke only to be nabbed for public intox.

And dont say if there's no law people will be kissing in front ofn others all the time. Thats absurd. Also urinating on a building (public) is jot the same as exposing yourself to people.

You dont know much about what happens to someone that gets snagged by the system apparently. To grab your statistic for the fun of illustrating a point, in 99.9 percent of the cases the injustice of an unjust arrest extends well beyond the arrest.

Try it out sometime if you dont believe. Get yourself arrested for something mundane. See if the judge compliments your shirt before he gives you a ten dollar fine at his discretion because "these things happen." You will find out quick its rotten from the inside out.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Don't get me wrong, the system is not perfect, but it is a better system BY FAR than any other country in the world. Do you even know what a luxury it is in this country to be innocent until proven guilty?

Wow, you need to get out more, maybe spend some time in different countries. Innocent until proven guilty is a relative term in the US. Most of the time it's simply money, influence and expensive lawyers.

I know there are problems with the system, but I feel like you're ignoring all of the positives and a bit misguided.

That sounds like what the captain of the Titanic said to his passengers just before it went down. Do you really not see the militarization of the police in this country? Perhaps if your point of view were correct we wouldn't need the Posse Comitatus forum at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I'm not trying to be rude or take a position that you are not entitled to your opinion.

I mean, it is actually great that we can have this debate on a forum due to the wonderful freedoms granted to us under the constitution. This probably would be censored in China.

You have a problem with the laws. That is your opinion and that is fine. Complaining about the enforcers of the laws does not fix the problem. You need to go to the law creators. The legislature. Unfortunately, your opinions are not the majority opinion in your jurisdiction or federally (or the country would likely be what you wanted it to be). That is the system working, actually. Your minority viewpoints aren't wildly outlandish. I bet some people's are, though. I'm glad the country isn't how one or two people think it should be. But that is just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Conclusory allegations are exhausting.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Its only been about 15 to 20 years that its started to degrade so rapidly. You are incredibly naive. I wonder how old you are. I mean im blown away by anyone who cant see it. MRAPS going to every police dept including small towns.

Cops killing people like crazy and getting off. In the last few years we have had cops beat to death Kelly Thompson, shoot a guy seeking help in a car accident, do the same to another woman, shoot a deaf wood carving Indian, run over two people on bikes, shoot Oscar grant while he was on the ground in handcuffs, kill a whole pound of family dogs, stomp a kids bird to death in an illegal no knock warrant over a parking violation, , hell I know someone who was tazered in water and drowned. Thats just off my head I could give you a hundred cases.

I mean seriously. You just havent done the leg work on this. If it doesn't lighten up, people will take matters into their own hands. Its already happened a few places. Foreign aid is more hyperbole from you, but know this, you are wrong and need to do some research.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I used shortsighted as part of a different thought I didn't pursue. I was going to make a slippery slope argument that victimless crimes and what you were saying are not truly victimless and actually have a trickle down effect that does create problems over the long run. Hence, shortsighted. Fair dig on your part because it was not clear. Let's keep the hits above the waist, though.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

More nonsense. You seem to think cops are just robots programmed with the laws. I guess they do act kinda mindless. They are certainly malfunctioning.

Who set them to kill for Christ's sake? !

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join