It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way galaxy may have formed inside-out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

21 Jan 2014 , 13:59

Our Milky Way galaxy may have formed from the inside-out, according to a ground-breaking study which provides new insight into galactic evolution.

Data from the Gaia-ESO project has provided evidence backing theoretically predicted divisions in the chemical composition of the stars that make up the Milky Way’s disc – vast collection of giant gas clouds and billions of stars that give our galaxy its ‘flying saucer’ shape. The research suggests that stars in the inner regions of the galactic disc were the first to form, supporting ideas that our galaxy grew from the inside-out.

An international team of astronomers took detailed observations of stars with a wide range of ages and locations in the galactic disc to accurately determine their ‘metallicity’: the amount of chemical elements in a star other than hydrogen and helium, the two elements most stars are made from. Immediately after the Big Bang, the universe consisted almost entirely of hydrogen and helium, with levels of “contaminant metals” growing over time.

Consequently, older stars have fewer elements in their make-up – so have lower metallicity, researchers said. The team have shown that older, ‘metal-poor’ stars inside the Solar Circle – the orbit of our Sun around the centre of the Milky Way – are far more likely to have high levels of magnesium.

I came across this interesting little read this morning while have my coffee and thought it was worth posting here. I wonder how might - if at all - Einstein's theory of relativity may play a part in how quickly some age while others do at differing rates? It's kind of a mind bender. Times like this I wish I had paid more attention during class.

I also wonder how this may tie in with this other story?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6b8c5bacb91.jpg[/atsimg]Vast, mysterious structure discovered at the heart of our galaxy

Two enormous, gamma-ray-emitting structures are bubbling out of the center of our galaxy. And astronomers have no idea what caused them. These bubbles, which stretch an astonishing 25,000 light years above and below the galactic plane, are invisible to the naked eye. But astronomers working with data from the Fermi space telescope, which detects gamma rays, were able to see the structures.

Thoughts?
edit on 21-1-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

The first thought that came to mind was a torus field.
Inside out/outside in and recycling into itself. Thank you for sharing

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Could the stars/matter that make up our Milky Way somehow have been thrown out from the massive black hole at the centre?

I know Black holes theoretical consume everything i'm just wondering if under the right circumstances, or at some point in the very distant past, said singularity may have been a white hole given that the data suggests formation from the inside out.
edit on 21-1-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I suppose that the formation of our galaxy from the inside out is not such an incredible proposition. Let us assume for a moment that it formed around the great black hole in its centre?

If that is the case, the more matter and energy it consumed, the further would spread its effects across the plane of the galaxy. Meaning, the more stars it ate, the greater its influence on surrounding space. It might be that some unknown effect of the black hole, was to make certain elements charged in a certain way, so as to attract one another more often in the further reaches of the galaxy, and thereby create more stars.

There is so much that we do not know, and that is why I find it all fascinating. Much better than long division at any rate!

Mind you, this galaxy is a cannibal, and is, as we speak, nibbling at the leading edges of dwarf galaxies, and has been for a very VERY VERY long time.
edit on 21-1-2014 by TrueBrit because: Oh... you know... the usual.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
There were a few threads around here about the spiderweb that is interconnected in space.
How it resembles the synapses of the human brain. This is exactly what i would picture the energy burst looking like.

I know its speculation, and my opinion. But how much modern science was proven true from speculation?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I've always thought that's how galaxies form. The inner portion has the most material, so stellar nurseries would form quicker there, and then the arms would create the stars at their own pace at some point after the material was thrown out from the edges of the center.

So to me the surprise in this thread is that the science community thought differently.
edit on 21-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
maybe because the science has it backwards

here some ideas how it could be explained

www.youtube.com...

cheers

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Matches the reality we have created perfectly.

I hated the reference to the big bang in it though, it treats the big bang as it is more than just a theory.

Oh sorry, this version is different than the one on Science Daily, it does not make reference to the big bang on this link. That is what I get for assuming it was written by the same person.
edit on 21-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Cool thread Slayer!!

I once had the idea that the reason Space is black is because we are "inside" something; in a giant room. Things could be inside out, things could be outside in, the body is the inside out of the mind, the end could be the beginning, the beginning could be the end, etc. You're right, it's really mind bending but I think it's all about reflections. You know, not to sound perveted but out-in, out-in, out-in. The conclusion I came to years ago is that Space is infinite potential for anything. The concepts for what is to be or not be were brought fourth by a power, a life force, which focuses targets relatively to their place in Space/ Time. I know this sounds crazy but I'm a closet scientist \who speaks in layman terms.

S&F!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
So our galaxy formed around a black hole, okay, but black holes need material to feed on and grow, so I presume there was some sort of collection of matter for the hole to feed on and grow, so our galaxy could from around it?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think this is a little over sensational to suggest that this is really 'new' information. It has long been stipulated that galaxies generally form as balls, elliptical galaxies. At some point in time, due to gravitational influence of a near by galaxy, flatten and form the narrow disk structures we see in some galaxies out there.

In the case of the milky way, the Magellanic clouds is the likely suspect, a small dwarf galaxy that approached to close. Following this, (supported by numerous n-body sims and observational evidence) it is natural to have the older stars in the galaxy formed in the inner regions, and given the formation of the disk is a later event, that the higher metallicity stars (2nd and 3rd even 4th generation) to be located in the inner regions.

This isn't to say that science knew it all, but probably represents the study of the statistics that supported the original proposition.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

SLAYER69

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6b8c5bacb91.jpg[/atsimg]Vast, mysterious structure discovered at the heart of our galaxy

Two enormous, gamma-ray-emitting structures are bubbling out of the center of our galaxy. And astronomers have no idea what caused them. These bubbles, which stretch an astonishing 25,000 light years above and below the galactic plane, are invisible to the naked eye. But astronomers working with data from the Fermi space telescope, which detects gamma rays, were able to see the structures.

Thoughts?

perhaps the large diffused globes of gamma rays are the result of the Galactic core having a small BlackHole... only around 4 million solar masses
perhaps when the core BlackHole approaches around 40 million Solar mass... then the Gamma Rays are forced/spun into the popularized & recognized narrow polar 'shafts'

just a point of interest:

...The team have shown that older, ‘metal-poor’ stars inside the Solar Circle – are far more likely to have high levels of magnesium.

does this abundance of magnesium have any connection to that element being a requirement for animals/mammals brains & nervous system to be 'healthy'
our world has a connection to silicon already, which is the key to the IT/computer/AI age we have just begun entering into...
(by virtue of the structure of the solar system as a macro copy of the micro silicon atom)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well the distribution of chemical elements is a relation of which star died before, to give rise to the star that formed after. If it was very massive, fusion occurs in a onion skin like structure.

So if you can imagine it, in a none convective core, movement of material is somewhat limited, so you generate a core that slowly turns from Hydrogen to Mostly helium. As the fusion rate slows, the core cools slightly, there is not enough energy to provide the pressure to hold up the star from gravitational collapse.

If heavy enough, the star will begin to collapse, energy is released from the gravitational contraction and the core heats. Eventually you get a Helium flash, and the pressure and temperature is so high that Helium fusion occurs, producing carbon and beryllium. The helium flash is what typically moves a star from the red super giant stage, up to a blue supergiant stage on the H-R diagram

This is typically were most stars end, they will not have the mass to sustain this process, and the gravitational collapse does not generate enough energy or pressure to fuse further.

In bigger stars (bigger stars would be more prevalent in younger galaxies) This fusion process continues, and this is where you generate the magnesium. You generate a whole host of nuclei at this stage.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Kind of reminds me of what a person does with their underwear after they form a Milky Way.

I couldn't resist!!

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Perhaps the black hole gets a bit too full at times and releases a giant belch thus ejecting the matter necessary to build solar systems. Then it is rinse and repeat every hundred million years or so.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It's all about structure and order on scales from the ultra-tiny (quantum):

The measurement of a quantum state poses a unique challenge for experimentalists. Recently, the technique of ‘direct measurement’ was proposed for characterizing a quantum state in situ through sequential weak and strong measurements.

Direct measurement of a 27-dimensional orbital-angular-momentum state vector

to the ultra-large (cosmological):

"Since 1982 it has been known that quasars tend to group together in clumps or 'structures' of surprisingly large sizes, forming large quasar groups or LQGs," the society said.

This newly discovered large quasar group has a dimension of 500 megaparsecs, each megaparsec measuring 3.3 million light-years.

Astronomers discover largest known structure in the universe

I'm pretty good at math, but this gets in to a realm in which I feel just a bit out of depth, what would have to be so large or posses so much gravity that would hold things together over these distances?

The former paper relates to a technique scientists have developed which allows for measuring the state of a (photon I think) without collapsing the wave function, in other words they're peering inside the box to see the cat both alive and dead.

The latter article relates to a discovery recently made wherein quasars are found to be directly related together over distances so vast they beggar the imagination to conceive the extent of.

What is being found on all fronts at the very bleeding edge of all sciences is that there is order and structure that permeates all things and that something is holding it all together but that something seems to be beyond our ability to measure directly. This something can be inferred, indeed all one has to do is look any natural structure, from a single celled organism all the way up to these "large quasar groups," and one will see that there is an intrinsic and implicit order to that particular arrangement of matter, and remember, matter=energy so any "ordered arrangement of matter"="ordered arrangement of energy."

The main and primary question always boils down to, what creates the order?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Wow

Thanks for the insightful post.

great question

What creates the order.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wow that's really cool,

We form from the inside-out, too, it's called gastrulation. From the time we were an embryo human bodies from the cellular level are in a continual process of turning inside-out.

As Above So Below; we all do the Twist.

Vertebrate Gastrulation
edit on 21-1-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
If the Ra material is right, then they might eventually discover that all galaxies have been formed from the inside out.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

I think that's the answer right there. Thanks for the info.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join