It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member witnessed strange "Light" in the sky (1/19/2014)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
First let me start off saying--- I saw a light in the sky---I'm not claiming it was a UFO---Only that it was a very bright light --- moving very, very fast!!!

So yesterday 1/19/2014. I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck smoking a cigarette and watching the sunset turn the Mesa to the south of Cortez Colorado a deep rust red color in those last few moments before true twilight. Being my turn to make dinner my wife sent our youngest daughter out to call me in--- and just as I made to get up. I see this big bright light shoot across the sky moving at a phenomenal hyper speed and with impossible climb rate!

This photo is obviously not of the event I speak of. But it is an actual photo taken from my front yard looking due south where the light was seen. Even if I had thought to take a picture--- it had come and gone faster than I could have gotten my cell phone out of my pocket! One blink and it was gone.

As for the light itself--- Sightings of mysterious lights in my part of Southern CO. are rather common. Over the years I've seen quite a few odd lights, but this one, for me anyway, this was the first I've seen in well over a decade. And if history plays out the same way it has in the past, over the next few weeks we should be getting many more odd lights in the sky...
Anyway, when the light appeared over the Mesa. Traveling southwest to east-northeast, I would guesstimate it at being at ten to fifteen thousand feet moving up at a 35 to 38 degree climb.

Now I see small planes come and go from our airport all the time, time spent in the military has let me watch a good many jet fighter flybys too, but I never saw anything move this fast! From ten to fifty thousand feet in the blink of an eye. I lost sight of it behind the neighbors tree and in the time it took to take a step to my right to see where it went, it was long gone!
The light itself was to bright to see any detail but given the distance, the size of the light would be approximate to the size of three jumbo jets, which we never see down here, as there's no airport big enough to handle a large jet in the four-corners area.

I will say this light was oval shaped, but it was so bright that in the heartbeat it was in the sky it left an afterimage burned into my retina so it could well have been a sphere???

My six year old did say, “What was that papa?” When I asked her to describe what she saw, she said it was just a quick flash of light...

The best way I can describe this light would be to say-- it looked just like the video of a meteor falling to earth. Only this one was going 'UP' not 'Down'. I also expected to hear a sonic boom or at least hear the sound of rushing air... Silence... the only noise, that of passing traffic on Hwy 491 to the west of my place. If I mentally trace it's line of direction backwards to a point of origin I would have to guess it came from somewhere southwest of Towaoc maybe even as far as Teec Nos Pos in AZ. Probably somewhere between and trust me when I say, there's a whole lot of nothing out there. when I first saw this light it would have been somewhere in the photo below

After dinner, I went back outside, with camera in hand, hoping to see it, or another one. After several hours of nothing my wife lured me back inside by waving a lacy red and black bra out the window.
What can I say other than my wife certainly knows how to motivate me into doing what she wants when she wants.

Anyway, tonight's her night to cook so at sundown I'll be sitting on my tailgate, video camera in hand and who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and have some crappy grainy video to share?
I would also say if any of the members here at ATS happen to be in the four-corners area--- to watch the sky at sunset over the next few days, who knows, maybe one of can get a photo of this light and we can all figure out what it is?
edit on 20-1-2014 by HardCorps because: corrected format prob

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The chances of it coming back are pretty slim. Maybe you are thinking UFOs have flight patterns like those of the FAA?

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

rickymouse
The chances of it coming back are pretty slim. Maybe you are thinking UFOs have flight patterns like those of the FAA?

Never said it was a UFO... But strange lights are pretty common in these parts.
Lights are routinely reported over Shiprock--- to the south and just a few weeks ago more lights were reported in Grand Junction--- north of me.

what I am saying is it's not uncommon round here to get lots of odd light reports--- over the span of a couple weeks. If I use that fact as a milestone then we should see more of these lights in the next few days

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

Are they possibly like orbs of some kind. Even orbs would be UFOs though unless you knew exactly what caused them..

Are there a lot of metallic minerals in those hills that energy can flow through.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

rickymouse

Are they possibly like orbs of some kind. Even orbs would be UFOs though unless you knew exactly what caused them..

Are there a lot of metallic minerals in those hills that energy can flow through.

the rust color I described is from the abundance of iron ore in the soil. not far away are a couple active gold and silver mines.
then to add a touch of mystery, this light would have done a flyover of Mesa Verde National Park

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Good luck friend.
I too have experienced something not in the usual...............its my opinion that the chances are better than average of a repeat.....
Please keep us in the loop...............

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

My wife and daughter's are going to make a viewing party out of it...
I would invite any and all to come out and sit with us...
but I should warn ya all---if you do come over--- I'm out of beer.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Very interesting. We have a lot of metallic minerals in the area. It causes some weird geomagnetic things to happen. I do not have any strange lights here but do have a lot of geomagnetic anomalies. Trees grow at angles a lot and the grain twists. There are ancient artifacts buried up to two feet under the soils. The springs have dried up many moons ago but the artifacts and strange geomagnetics are still here. There is an underground river running under my property, the well goes into it. It is nice having an almost artesian well, it comes up within three feet of the surface. At least it did when I had the well drilled, I should go see it if still does some day.

Little tiny tornadoes form around the house and bugs seem to fly in swarming circles outside sometimes. But no lights like that that I have seen. I have seen distortions flying around, but what I think I am seeing is from big hummingbirds wing distortion. They fly playfully around and I saw one come up and stop in front of me...it was a hummingbird. I'm guessing that this is what I was seeing all along, since they only happen in the summer.

There are old gold mines around here, and there are a lot of geomagnetic minerals also. Magnetite is mined at a mine six miles away. I have pieces of these minerals all over the yard, lined up in rows. I guess the ancient people living here liked rocks lining paths and around gardens too. I was hitting one after the other in a row when tilling down a foot in the garden, a single row of them, some very interesting looking combinations. I guess someone had a nice place here five hundred or more years ago. I can't find anything to tell me who though.

We have a place with strange lights here in the U.P.. moonlake.hubpages.com...

My brother has been there, he says they are cool. I have never gone there myself. People give all sorts of illogical explanations of them, misusing science all the time. I think there is energy flowing up there and it excites some of the gasses present from the swampy area myself. Being the U.P is such a mineral rich area, it is only reasonable to conclude that the energy similar to what causes earthquake lights could be present.

I like the ancient town that you have a picture of. There would have had to be springs coming out for them to build that city. They probably dried up long ago. Is there signs of this creek anywhere there?

You can still see where the springs came out of the hill and flowed down the hill here on my property. That was a very long time ago. I dug down in one area finding an old creek bed like bottom about two and a half feet down in one spot. I am sure there would have been a spring supplying fresh water to that town.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

from what I read, it sounds like you saw a UFO also known as unidentified flying object.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

HardCorps
First let me start off saying--- I saw a light in the sky---I'm not claiming it was a UFO---Only that it was a very bright light --- moving very, very fast!!!

So yesterday 1/19/2014. I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck smoking a cigarette and watching the sunset turn the Mesa to the south of Cortez Colorado a deep rust red color in those last few moments before true twilight. Being my turn to make dinner my wife sent our youngest daughter out to call me in--- and just as I made to get up. I see this big bright light shoot across the sky moving at a phenomenal hyper speed and with impossible climb rate!

This photo is obviously not of the event I speak of. But it is an actual photo taken from my front yard looking due south where the light was seen. Even if I had thought to take a picture--- it had come and gone faster than I could have gotten my cell phone out of my pocket! One blink and it was gone.

As for the light itself--- Sightings of mysterious lights in my part of Southern CO. are rather common. Over the years I've seen quite a few odd lights, but this one, for me anyway, this was the first I've seen in well over a decade. And if history plays out the same way it has in the past, over the next few weeks we should be getting many more odd lights in the sky...
Anyway, when the light appeared over the Mesa. Traveling southwest to east-northeast, I would guesstimate it at being at ten to fifteen thousand feet moving up at a 35 to 38 degree climb.

Now I see small planes come and go from our airport all the time, time spent in the military has let me watch a good many jet fighter flybys too, but I never saw anything move this fast! From ten to fifty thousand feet in the blink of an eye. I lost sight of it behind the neighbors tree and in the time it took to take a step to my right to see where it went, it was long gone!
The light itself was to bright to see any detail but given the distance, the size of the light would be approximate to the size of three jumbo jets, which we never see down here, as there's no airport big enough to handle a large jet in the four-corners area.

I will say this light was oval shaped, but it was so bright that in the heartbeat it was in the sky it left an afterimage burned into my retina so it could well have been a sphere???

My six year old did say, “What was that papa?” When I asked her to describe what she saw, she said it was just a quick flash of light...

The best way I can describe this light would be to say-- it looked just like the video of a meteor falling to earth. Only this one was going 'UP' not 'Down'. I also expected to hear a sonic boom or at least hear the sound of rushing air... Silence... the only noise, that of passing traffic on Hwy 491 to the west of my place. If I mentally trace it's line of direction backwards to a point of origin I would have to guess it came from somewhere southwest of Towaoc maybe even as far as Teec Nos Pos in AZ. Probably somewhere between and trust me when I say, there's a whole lot of nothing out there. when I first saw this light it would have been somewhere in the photo below

After dinner, I went back outside, with camera in hand, hoping to see it, or another one. After several hours of nothing my wife lured me back inside by waving a lacy red and black bra out the window.
What can I say other than my wife certainly knows how to motivate me into doing what she wants when she wants.

Anyway, tonight's her night to cook so at sundown I'll be sitting on my tailgate, video camera in hand and who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and have some crappy grainy video to share?
I would also say if any of the members here at ATS happen to be in the four-corners area--- to watch the sky at sunset over the next few days, who knows, maybe one of can get a photo of this light and we can all figure out what it is?
edit on 20-1-2014 by HardCorps because: corrected format prob

I also live in Colorado and have seen lots of strange Lights night and day. Somehow I feel like they know when and who's watching them.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Update 1/22/2014

Thanks to my 9yo crashing and burning on her bike, requiring emergency daddy hugs and boo-boo kisses I had to cut my light watching vigil short last night but fear not, I'll be out there again tonight camera in hand.

To that end let me say I was worried about someone accusing me of digital manipulation so I've decided to dust off my old film camera.

A Minolta Maxxum XTsi with a Sigma 70-300mm 1:4 lens. No it's not as fast/light gathering, as I'd like, but I simply don't have the 10 to 15 thousand I would need to upgrade to modern professional equipment.

I've loaded this camera with Kodak asa 400 color film. This way if I do get a shot of the light/s there will be a permanent unaltered record on a negative and while I haven't figured out what to use, I plan on putting something in the foreground, like a stepladder, to give it scale. When I send the film out to be processed/Walgreen's I'll have them make me prints and burn a disk.

Anyway yesterday after I posted this thread I ran into a friend who works at our local airport as a TSA agent. I asked if on Sunday anyone reported seeing a light at sundown? She said they closed up shop at 4:30pm that day so she was back home by sundown, but--- she added that there were no aircraft flying in or around Cortez at all on Sunday.

Of course that doesn't mean someone couldn't have flown by after 4:30 when everyone was gone...?

So the hunt continues---
edit on 21-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Lichter daraus

from what I read, it sounds like you saw a UFO also known as unidentified flying object.

I'm shying away from using the term 'UFO' simply because I'm not convinced it was an object as opposed to pure energy.

While I've never seen one myself; Tails of fireballs/ball lighting/plasma, go back a couple hundred years in my part of the world.

1890: In Las Vegas, New Mexico, Lorenzo Labadie is said to have unknowingly hired a witch to watch over his infant son, and eventually dismisses her after the nurse and baby appeared at a gathering in Puerta de Luna, about 100 miles south of the town. Given that she could only have appeared at the gathering if she had flown at night, the nurse was dismissed. (Witches in New Mexico often are said to ride fireballs in the night sky.)

Not saying what I saw was a Witch flying around on her fireball but the simple fact that fireball sighting in this part of world have been reported and documented for a couple hundred years at least...leads me to believe there is historical president to say this region is prone to this type of phenomenon....whatever this is???

A more recent sighting report happed back in 2012 UFO Stalker

Sighting Details

We were driving past the high school in Cortez and turned north. I caught a glimpse of light to the east and saw quite a few flashing lights in a random pattern. It only lasted a few seconds, long enough to ask my son if he saw it too. As soon as he acknowledged he had, they disappeared. It was like they were never there, it was a clear night with no cloud cover. We were in awe, and were confused by what we saw. But excited at the same time.

The high school is only a few blocks from my place. Well the old high school, they just broke ground for a new one to go up behind the Wal-Mart

edit on 21-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

My wife did her postgrad up at Ann Arbor.
I've never really spent much time in Michigan, but after reading your post I really want to go check out the upper peninsula.

BTW not only do we have a great deal of metal deposited in our mountains we also have a 'LOT' of Quartz add to that right now were under a huge dome of High pressure. oddly enough we'll have 57 for a high temp after a low of 17. Surely there has to be a good deal of expansion and contraction with a rapid 40 degree temp change every day???

The pyroelectric effect, by which a material generates an electric potential in response to a temperature change, was studied by Carl Linnaeus and Franz Aepinus in the mid-18th century.[citation needed] Drawing on this knowledge, both René Just Haüy and Antoine César Becquerel posited a relationship between mechanical stress and electric charge; however, experiments by both proved inconclusive.[citation needed]

The first demonstration of the direct piezoelectric effect was in 1880 by the brothers Pierre Curie and Jacques Curie.[6] They combined their knowledge of pyroelectricity with their understanding of the underlying crystal structures that gave rise to pyroelectricity to predict crystal behavior, and demonstrated the effect using crystals of tourmaline, quartz, topaz, cane sugar, and Rochelle salt (sodium potassium tartrate tetrahydrate). Quartz and Rochelle salt exhibited the most piezoelectricity.

And I'm sure a smart person such as yourself knows where I'm going with this idea.

Direct piezoelectricity of some substances, like quartz, can generate potential differences of thousands of volts.
The best-known application is the electric cigarette lighter: pressing the button causes a spring-loaded hammer to hit a piezoelectric crystal, producing a sufficiently high voltage electric current that flows across a small spark gap, thus heating and igniting the gas. The portable sparkers used to ignite gas stoves work the same way, and many types of gas burners now have built-in piezo-based ignition systems.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Gee, wasn't aware of that. So if you use a quartz axe to strike stone to split it, it gives a high voltage burst possibly? Maybe this is why evidence say that good stone hammers and axes can do better at doing their jobs.than metal axes and hammers. Energy can be stored in rocks, I wasn't aware that high energy was released when they were hit though. I am going to try a little experiment, I have some dense quartzite in the house that I collected, and I have wires and an extra grill ignitor I robbed off a junk grill..

Now if you were to hit a big crystal and connect it to a small crystal, could it make the small crystal pop?

The area around here is full of different crystals. It is sort of like Colorado here in the UP but colder...much colder...and it has lots of snow in the hills because it is stuck in between two of the great lakes.

Call it UFE instead of UFO. Technically everything is energy anyway. UFE almost looks like the word life.
edit on 21-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join