It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kugelblitz! Powering a Starship With a Black Hole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
THought I'd run this by ATS.

Based off of the groundbreaking work of Stephen Hawking and JohnWheeler, scientists get wind of a whole new type of interstellar spacecraft.

"Wheeler’s postulate and Hawking’s theory of black hole radiation make conceivable an entirely new type of interstellar spacecraft, one whose propulsion and/or power systems would be fed by a Schwarzschild Kugelblitz. - See more at: www.space.com..."

Interesting indeed. The theory goes on to explain how Spacecraft would be powered by Black Holes.

Check it out, ATS!

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Its a idea I will give them that. But not one that we will see in our life times. Fusion drive are the best we can hope for at the moment.

Love to see my favorite Scientist Freeman Dyson is involved somewhere

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

the existence of black holes hasn't been proven ye, all theory

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

Theory yes but very very very very very very very likley true as all evidence points towards them.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

well ill wait to they find one and identify 100% before believing. I would think magnetic vortex holes are more likely what will really be out there.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

(post by crazyewok removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Yeah, Fusion propulsion is a technology that can be achieved sooner; it's a wheel that's about 95% complete,per say. This new tech "Schwarzschild Kugelblitz" (or SK) sounds great, but I don't know how much R&D has been done, if any. I'll go with whatever can be done as long as it's done asap. The lull in Space exploration has driven me bonkers.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

www.space.com...

taking a photo of something you say cant be proven?
priceless!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

lostbook
Interesting indeed. The theory goes on to explain how Spacecraft would be powered by Black Holes.

How about using a matter/antimatter reaction to create an artificial singularity that the ship could implode into, then vector out into a different point in spacetime?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

AthlonSavage

well ill wait to they find one and identify 100% before believing. I would think magnetic vortex holes are more likely what will really be out there.

They have located quite a few, I suggest you do some legwork and read up on the subject. If you're after a photo of one, that will never happen directly owing to their nature, but we can see what happens around them.

Here be one mentioned on the same site as the OP
edit on 16/1/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

okamitengu
priceless!

There is no pictures of an actual black hole...anywhere.

There are pictures, as you have shown, of the results of black holes, but no actual picture of the hole itself.

Quote from your source:

Though black holes themselves are invisible (even light cannot escape their gravitational grasp), matter falling into such objects can heat to temperatures as high as hundreds of millions of degrees, causing it to release copious amounts of high-energy light that can be seen from across the universe.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

That's one way to do what Black holes theoretically can do, That tech is a long way off. We're only interested in tech we can use now or in the near term.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

peck420

okamitengu
priceless!

There is no pictures of an actual black hole...anywhere.

There are pictures, as you have shown, of the results of black holes, but no actual picture of the hole itself.

Quote from your source:

Though black holes themselves are invisible (even light cannot escape their gravitational grasp), matter falling into such objects can heat to temperatures as high as hundreds of millions of degrees, causing it to release copious amounts of high-energy light that can be seen from across the universe.

capturing xrays of an "invisible objects" is the same as your "photograph" ... xrays are part of the light specturm... captured... that's in my book as a photograph.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

okamitengu

AthlonSavage

www.space.com...

priceless!

For a photo, see chandra.harvard.edu...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

What you are seeing captured, is not the black hole. It is the energy being sucked in like a vacume from surrounding stars etc. You can't take a picture of a tornado, what you are taking a picture of is the clouds and debris being tossed around by the tornado, or water if it is a water spout. You can't take a picture of wind, just of the stuff the wind is moving. Making any sense here lol?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
As super cool as it is, and as gaga as I am about spooky cool future-tech hypotheticals, I would not like to be on such a ship if ever there was a field containment issue.

I mean, crashing into something, blowing up, and other things give a peep at least a small fraction of a percent of a chance of living to tell the tell about that one time ...
... , but, a Black Hole powered ship?

Nope. Methinks there wouldn't be many survivor stories coming out of disasters there.

Here I was all cozy in thinking that Bussard Ramjets were dangerous (at least for anyone in the way, like planets, other space ships, whatever), but hey, let's try not to park the sustainable black-hole powered spaceship next to, erm, anything.

Sure, there's teeny tiny Black Holes that will evaporate after a few nanoseconds or some other small time scale, but, anything sustained that could get off the leash ... oooo, that's kinda scary.
Next thing you know we'll portable black-hole weapons. Hey, they had something like Black Hole grenades in the last Thor movie.

Anyway, thank you for the thread. S+F.
Fun Stuff to think about!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I suggest you link the article which main stream science identifies as black hole.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

And once again, science fiction becomes (nearly) science fact.

Event Horizon anyone?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

stumason

AthlonSavage

They have located quite a few, I suggest you do some legwork and read up on the subject. If you're after a photo of one, that will never happen directly owing to their nature, but we can see what happens around them.

Here be one mentioned on the same site as the OP
edit on 16/1/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

This.

I wonder if the problem of some people on ATS is that they are confusing wormhole (a theoretical object) with black holes (objects which have been detected and observed since the 70s-80s)?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join