It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So long Quail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Quail Dobbs has died. If you are not into the US rodeo scene, you may not know who he was:

en.wikipedia.org...

He was my hometown hero. I could care less about him being a rodeo clown. His celebrity was more of a novelty. But the man he was....truly a hero a young man can look up to. While still doing the rodeo circuit, but long after becoming the living legend he was in his field, he would work the Kindergarten Rodeo. It was basically a stick horse rodeo for the kindergartners in Coahoma (the small West Texas town he lived in, and that I grew up in).

I moved to Laramie, WY a few years back, living there for a year. I was floored to find Quail on the cover of their phone book. Apparently, with their cowboy culture, he is quite popular with them as well. He was the annual Parade Marshall in Cheyenne, WY.

He retired from clowning in 1998, choosing to run for Justice of the Peace in Coahoma. He retired from that job in 2013, due to health. To be honest, I am shocked he stayed with it that long as he could barely walk from all the hip and leg injuries a rodeo clown of his caliber suffers.

I played football with his son, Coley (who is now a Junior High football coach in Coahoma) and his wife (Judy) was our school secretary/vice principle (we had less than 200 students, and no need for a budgeted vice principle position). While Coley can be difficult to get used to, he reminded me so much of his dad. Not a big guy (maybe 5'3", 150lbs), but as tough and tenacious as anyone I have ever met. Those are two traits I admire greatly, and the men in the Dobbs family exude them endlessly.

Quail was a friend. He was a leader. And is was a local icon. I will sorely miss him, and wish the family the best. If there is a Satan, I would bet that Quail is hiding behind a barrel right now clowning him.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Men of character are a true dying breed.

Rest In Peace, sir.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I am sorry for your loss.
He sounds like an inspiration.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Not my loss....but I knew him and his family (like i said....grew up with his son).

He was a good man. I wanted to take a moment to memorialize him for folks who may not know him (likely, most of ATS).

new topics

top topics

join