It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-year-old child locked in Memphis school closet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This story is thin, but it says a teacher locked a 5 year old girl in a closet and then left.

Sounds like yet another example of the education system becoming a victim of lower standards.

5-year-old child locked in Memphis school closet

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Police say a Memphis teacher locked a 5-year-old girl in a closet, then left the school.

Shelby County Schools says the teacher, whose name was not released, has been suspended.

The story does not reveal how the authorities were led to the closet.

I think there may be a lot of over-educated (beyond their capacities) nut cases in the education system.

I can't wait to hear the teacher's **Reasoning**

Maybe she read a study or something.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
While what happened to me may not seem to be as much of a personal impact....

I was the class clown. Always was.

I had a grade school teacher who decided to bring in a refrigerator box and literally place it over me and my desk during class.

To say it was embarrassing and humiliating, is to put it lightly.

I also had another teacher get frustrated with me in class (oh, 6th grade), and say in front of the entire class "You're like an inchworm, I give you a yard, and you only take an inch"...what he didn't realize...was that whereas he knew I was one of if not the more intelligent student in the class, I was also heavily bullied about my intelligence, my vocabulary, etc. So, when called upon in class, I would tend to give slightly dummed down answers in an attempt to discourage the onslaught of taunting I'd get later during recess.

Suffice it to say, for weeks...I was taunted about being an "inchworm".

Kids are cruel...teachers can be even worse.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Well that is just plain awful.

If true I think the school needs to go through a training session on effective
school disciplines and what is appropriate and what is not.

I personally know how damaging this type of punishment can be to a
child. I was put in a closet as "punishment" in first grade, so i know
first hand.

I certainly hope this article is a mistake and truly did not happen.

leolady

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
As a kid, I often thought many of the teachers had serious mental problems.

As an adult, I am sure of it.

Sure, most of the teachers were sane and competent, but many were total wacko, more so than the norm in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

in fifth grade me and a friend were making stupid childish jokes about our teacher while walking down the hallway, we didnt know he was behind us, he grabbed us by the back of our shirts and drug us into a closet nearby and shouted at the top of his lungs in our face, literally less then an inch from our face, i couldnt even focus my eyes on his face without going cross eyed, i was so frightened i didnt even hear what he was saying just alot of angry shouting, i can still remember the heat of his breath on my face as he screamed at us, occasional spittle falling on my face he was so enraged, clearly he had anger problems and that was the moment they were revealed to me. my friend was the class clown, but the teacher really scared him into submission with that, back in class my friend fell right into line,

i didnt,

up until then i mostly had straight A's that was the day i said to myself "# this #" i remember it well, i went into a defiant stand off attitude towards the teacher immediately. i wouldn't so much as look at a #ing pen/pencil when he asked everyone to pull out a sheet or fill out this answer or that etc i kept my arms crossed and stared him down, when i tired of staring him down i rested my head on my arms and slept till the end of class, typically that behavior would have gotten me sent to detention and at that moment i was hoping it would, i wanted any way to get out of that class and away from him, but the teacher knew if he sent me i would tell what he did, (though i actually probably wouldnt have as i thought id get in trouble for the jokes i had made that angered him before it happened) anyhow when i realized he wasnt sending me i knew then i had something on him, i knew then that HE knew what he did was wrong, i knew then that what he did WAS wrong,

i never had an ounce of respect for any teacher or class from then on. from then on my grades were either an F or an A depending on if i liked the teacher, more often then not i did not like the teacher,

it is that easy to change a childs life with just one negative experience. that was 20 years ago and it still haunts me,

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I watched matilda when I was a kid. Was her dad a dishonest used car salesman? Was the teacher a hammer toss champion?

This is terrible but the world is getting truly stranger than fiction. What teacher in their right mind really thinks this is a good idea? I just don't get what's going through their heads for them to think he I will willingly and knowingly place this small child in a closet and lock her in there. Yup that's what I'm going to do.

new topics

top topics

join