It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all of the One Line posts that were VERBOTTEN not so long ago?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Maybe the Mods can clear this one up for me...
I am increasingly seeing the use of minimalist threads as well as equally minimalist replies. At least two lines meant you had to write "second" under your thought at least. And "This is a good yootube vid" used to result in a nasty message attached to the thread.

So what changed? Just curious...can I get by with just replying "No" to the obnoxious threads that ask "Is this an alien spacecraft youtub vid!!!" Without having it removed now?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I dont know

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

I am increasingly seeing the use of minimalist threads as well as equally minimalist replies. At least two lines meant you had to write "second" under your thought at least.

Technically "second" or "second line" wasn't allowed either.

Second.

---
Edit to add: I was going to leave the post as is but I really don't feel like inflaming the mods. In any case, I find the threads I comb have far less one liners than the past. Maybe it's just me. And for the most part, plonked YT videos with no commentary get warnings.
edit on 15-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It's all about quantity instead of quality now...and less work for mods too me thinks.

2nd line..

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

See, the problem with "second line required" rule is that a thread doesn't always warrant more than one line. Now, simple replies like "I agree" or "I don't agree" could be expanded on. Why do you agree /disagree? But sometimes you don't have anything else to add as a person is sharing something (as has been the case recently with wonderful pictures of space). In those cases, I think a one line reply is enough. Something on the lines of, "Great find, thanks for sharing" to those threads is more than enough simply due to the fact that there's not much to discuss.

My 0.2 Amero's of course.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I think that the mods should legalize one word replies.
The word "moron" comes quickly to mind.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Quite often, one l sit all.

Two lines make it redundant.

Three lines of something pertinent is overkill.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I guess mods realized that plenty of one-line responses are just as valid. See?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Welcome to the wonderful world of the twitter invasion!

Once upon a time you actually had to write up a small "essay", when you applied for membership to ATS, on why you wanted to become a member, or what you felt you could share/contribute. Those days are loooong gone.

Now everyone is just a few clicks away from guaranteed membership, and the tweeting invasion is what came in droves! Thankfully it seems the "txt spk" battle has been curbed, but the one-line "tweets" are definitely here to stay.
edit on 1/16/14 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Yeah, I've noticed an increase in one-line comments the last year or so.
Many of them don't even address the topic of the thread, rather they resemble something you see on peoples twitter accounts.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Occasionally, though, the appropriate answer is just "Yes".

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Why would I have to write an "essay" to make a point though? I think that is the argument of the "one-liners", in that sometimes that is what is not said, says it best. Making a point should not be limited to a minimum number of words or sentences.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I always thought that if all I had to say was that I agreed, a simple star for the post was enough. If I feel strongly enough to want people to know I agree, then I can usually come up with more than a single line for a response. Now and then, though. a sentence is shorter, and says it all. I think whether such are allowed to remain or not should be based on the content, as much as the length. Overall, the mods seem to do a pretty good job with such things.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Sounds good.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
There used to be a ton of members who would report _any_ one line post to the mods.

They are gone.

There is also much less trolling these days.

I have made my own conclusions about this,
your mileage may vary.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

See, wha happen was, GLP bans a lot of atheists ova der ya sees.
So if yas been der, ya knows da one liners are no big deal da dem. Right so,
and guess where day go when at happens? You guessed it. So dat's
pretty much wha happen second lines.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I never said you had to write an "essay" to make a point. I said that one was once required to apply for ATS membership (there was a comment box on the membership application regarding why you wished to become a member, and not everyone was accepted).

As for one liners, sometimes it's all that's really needed to make a valuable point. Even in the "strict" days-of-old, here on ATS, there were one-liners that were "given a pass" because they made a valid/valuable point succinctly, but it was the exception, not the rule.

Nowadays, with the twitter crowd invasion, it seems to be more "the rule" than the exception. It's not rare at all to see fairly pointless one-liners that don't really share/contribute much. In fact, it's not unheard of to see one-word posts (e.g. "HOAX!") with no reasoning or explanation given to support the opinion. Just a clashing of two cultures as ATS threw open the floodgates.
edit on 1/16/14 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Cito
Sounds good.

Tell me more.
You seem to know what you are speaking of.
Tell me more again; more about the good parts.
That which you were speaking of.
I need to hear more; expain good's sound.

Euphumistic platitudes. Ive seen pages of threads devoted to the one sentence 'snappy retorts" and none of them are funny; just nipping and biting going on. Maybe a new forum should be created for these amusements, sort of like an old time 'one line only allowed "cascade". The op subject topic has to be of an impossibly deep serious nature (otherwise it will kill the intent of potencially humorous responses).

edit on 16-1-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

For sale: baby shoes, never worn

Hemingway's 1 line novel proving 1 line is all that is required (goo.gl...)

edit on 1/16/2014 by Cito because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Cito
reply to post by veteranhumanbeing

citoFor sale: baby shoes, never worn

Why did shoes created; be for a baby never born or,
Where did the baby go that those shoes created were never worn.
edit on 16-1-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join