It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Drop and Cover' if You See A Bright Flash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Started to put this in the 'Survival' forum but wasn't sure
-Please move to correct forum if need be-

Tucson, Ariz. At the time of the Utal Emergency Management Association (UEMA) conference on Jan 9, 2014, Physicians for Civil Defense issued the following statement:

All Americans, starting with first responders and emergency managers, need to know this basic life-saving principle: “Drop and cover if you see a sudden very bright light.”

Such a light will be followed by a deadly shock wave within seconds. Those who drop and cover will probably survive. Those who do not are likely to be killed or suffer severe injury.

During the 2013 Chelyabinsk meteor explosion, a fourth-grade teacher in Chelyabinsk, Yulia Karbysheva, saved 44 children from potentially life-threatening window glass cuts by ordering them to hide under their desks when she saw the flash. Ms. Karbysheva, who remained standing, was seriously lacerated when the explosion’s blast wave arrived and windows shattered. A tendon in her arm was severed, but not one of her students suffered a cut.

www.physiciansforcivildefense.org...

This is referring to a 'what if' scenario such as they had in Russia last year, with the meteorite crash
Many Americans think that it won't happen here but what if.....

Well, evidently it gives off a white flash before the sonic boom
So, that's where 'Drop & Cover' comes in

The teacher in Russia saved her kids from getting hurt by having them get under their desk, while she herself sustained injuries due to the fact she was standing

Just thought this info might be of interest to some
Many don't know to be aware of the white flash

Here's a vid from the Russia meteor

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Looks like a laser or something tagged it.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
And since I double posted,a word on how to appropriately "drop". Just relax and let gravity do it's job,It's a lot of fun in cactus.
edit on 15-1-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: Keeps it interesting

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Sounds like the advice from the old U.S. Army soldiers manual of common tasks for responding to an overhead flare without warning, I still remember that from years ago, anyhow, that is probably the best advice to follow.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Wow. suddenly it's 1966 again and I'm in kindergarten and the sisters are teaching us to "duck and cover", curl up in a ball under your wooden desk! sister anne insisted that we all learn. next year in first grade? sister rita told us we were so close to the nearby SAC base, chances are even if we made it to the bomb shelter, it wouldn't be enough. What was really cool? sitting there during those late may/early sept school days, watching the 2nd and 3rd and kintergarden kids practicing duck and cover while we sat back and chilling waiting for recess so we could go out an toss the nerf football around or play some street hockey or wiffle ball.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I would have thought that in addition to simply getting to floor level as fast and as safely as possible, one might also want to consider getting as far from, or out of direct sight of, any and all windows, as well as glass fronted cabinetry, as is possible at the time.

The shock wave from the meteor is probably one of the most impressive displays of natural force that has ever occurred while I have been alive on this planet. Say what you will about the awesome power of weather systems, winds, lightning... this thing trumped all of that in my opinion. The meteor did not even do the worst that it could have done, and caused wide spread chaos and injury, not to mention CRACKING THE WALLS OF BUILDINGS, with the shock of it passage through the air!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Already posted. Thread closed. Please add to the ongoing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join