It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public outcry @ 'Catch an Illegal Alien Game' exhibits acceptance of breached US borders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
thinkprogress.org...

On Wednesday, actress America Ferrera led a solidarity march with hundreds of pro-immigration activist groups at the University of Texas at Austin to to protest against a scheduled game called “Catch an illegal immigrant” which prompted heavy criticism. The event’s organizers — the Young Conservative of Texas chapter at UT Austin (or YCT) — soon cancelled the event following public outcry and harsh words from school officials. Just a few years ago, universities who initiated the game provoked much less reaction. And escalated outrage at UT Austin reflects changing attitudes about undocumented immigrants.
The concept of the “Catch an illegal immigrant” game is for people to find a person on campus wearing a shirt that reads “illegal immigrant.” After seeking the person out, “winners” can claim a $25 gift card from the YCT. Like many others, Ferrera, a member of the pro-immigration group Voto Latino, said that she found that the game “was disguised as an attempt to have an honest debate about immigration reform …

This took place a couple months ago but I'm just hearing about it, did you? And how do you feel about the overwhelmingly negative response?

For what it's worth, nearly 1/3 of United States' population is hispanic, and that's not even including the illegal alien population. So what about the illegal alien population, I mean obviouly illegal aliens come in all size shape and colors, no? Well per CBS statistics, a whooping 80% of illegal aliens are hispanic, 60% of those being specifically of Mexican nationality.

Anyways, so what, California used to belong to Mexico until US took it, and the bigger picture is Mexico and the surrounding southwest region is what's left of the exterminated Native Americans. Thats how I feel but I'm not sure if thats what the majority sentiment is like.

What I do see is that the majority sentiment is the blatant opposite of the government stance on the issue of illegal / undocumented aliens.

www.latinorebels.com...

Response to “Catch an Illegal Immigrant” Game at UT-Austin Overwhelmingly Negative

I’d like to see scores of protesters peacefully walk around the UT campus with the label “illegal immigrant” on their clothing and really confuse you idiots.

I’m commenting because I wanted to be a part of this historic event: overt racism being displayed by conservatives in Texas!

I joined this “event” just so I could say something about it.
People cannot be illegal.
Breaking laws is illegal, but people in and of themselves cannot be illegal. If you’re trying to make a point, at least be educated about it. These people are undocumented, NOT illegal. It seems that y’all missed the passing of AR 16 AND the event featuring Jose Antonio Vargas last month. Before trying to educate others, educate yourselves first.

I don't know quite what to make of this. Humanitarianly, I subscribe to the premise people can't be illegal to the land. However, America on whole seems inconsistent them because Americans show they defend undocumented's rights to stick around, yet with over 30 million illegals currently living off the system, and a million more every year, not paying taxes, receiving benefits from those that are buried in taxes at the same time, is not just fair. Not to mention widespread social security number fraud which drivers law-abiding consumers crazy trying to correct errors with banks, collectors, and credit bureaus.

Simply put, the current system is moving more nad more toward a welfare state full of corruption. Maybe thats what the Fed wants cause in the end whatevers left of the working class, pays for it - not the illegals - nor the elite.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
All this immigration talk
It's no wonder why most Native Americans abuse alcohol.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona were all part of conquest through the use of force brought about by the Mexican Gov't of the time. They lost. we won. Kind of to late to whine about that.

As far as illegal immigrants go, I say that we apply the same set of rules to them that their own countries do to illegal immigrants into their countries. That would slow things down a bit I'd think.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Im not sure what to say about this myself.

Nevermind, its better that I don't say anything.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

TDawgRex
As far as illegal immigrants go, I say that we apply the same set of rules to them that their own countries do to illegal immigrants into their countries. That would slow things down a bit I'd think.

Shoot them in the face? I believe the military is instructed to shoot us if we tried to get into Mexico. I know for a fact you would end up in the slammer if you ran across to Mexico and tried to get any kind of hand out. This is a big issue because it's destroying America. Has nothing to do with racism and EVERYTHING to do with money.

Living in Texas all of my life I know far more then I ever want to know about this issue. We have had a lot of crime because of illegal aliens. They will get in trouble in Mexico and flee here. I wonder how many felons in the USA wish they could commit murder and run across the border and get free stuff?

Two incidents I have never forgotten were rapists that illegally immigrated from Mexico they both ended up raping and killing 8-9 yr old girls. One was up north another was down south. We do not want Mexico's trash. Mexico seems to be all about giving us their trash. I am fine with immigrants that can contribute.

However if you want to come here to get free stuff you should be charged and deported. If you ever come back the charges should escalate until life in prison is reached. The only hand outs we should be giving is prison sentences.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
You know as a half Hispanic I think your statement of life in prison is absolutely ridiculous, as well as harsh and cruel, How would you feel if your mom or dad were thrown in jail for life just so you could have a better life? Jailing illegals simply will not work, creating a colony somewhere and dumping them there, that's a different story, Antartica has massive amounts of free land to repopulate these people with, additionally, relocating them to Iraq would surely calm things down a bit to and make far harder for them to reach Mainland USA.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

camain
You know as a half Hispanic I think your statement of life in prison is absolutely ridiculous, as well as harsh and cruel, How would you feel if your mom or dad were thrown in jail for life just so you could have a better life? Jailing illegals simply will not work, creating a colony somewhere and dumping them there, that's a different story, Antartica has massive amounts of free land to repopulate these people with, additionally, relocating them to Iraq would surely calm things down a bit to and make far harder for them to reach Mainland USA.

There are legal ways to become a citizen of the U.S. Hundreds of thousands of people do it, why can't they?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Considering that for most of our history we have had open borders and an immigration policy of if you get here your a citizen just sign here, most of us would not be here if the faced modern border controls and immigration rules. In fact the idea of being sent back just for being here ilegally is modern idea, in our history that was something done to those commited certain crimes. The idea of America walling itself in and hunting people who try to come here flies in the face of everything that had made America, America. The amount of money we waste on this is staggering.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

If Young Conservatives wanted to "find the illegal immigrant", they should go home and check for green cards on the people that mow their parents' lawns. Or the food prep people and janitorial service staffs for the businesses in the area. My guess is the game would be over before it started.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

TDawgRex

California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona were all part of conquest through the use of force brought about by the Mexican Gov't of the time. They lost. we won. Kind of to late to whine about that.

Southern California USED to be nice (keyword, used).. that is because White Americans built it. Can Hispanics point to ANY part of Mexico as being anywhere NEAR as NICE? been to Mexico, what a trash heap.

And, the more Hispanics that FLOOD the ONCE beautiful socal area, it looks MORE like Mexico., Had I wanted to live in Mexico I would have moved there.

Now it is a trash heap, deteriorating more into a trash heap everyday.. hmm what has changed? the PEOPLE!

I want to live near people like myself and family.. ENGLISH speaking whites, blacks and native Americans.

Maybe if the immigrants coming here were from somewhere decent, then they would bring decency.. But, look at Mexico.. I can't believe ANYONE would want what Mexico has to offer.. OR the fact that people bring their cultural baggage..

Nope, I would prefer the America of the 1950's over today.

And once upon a time there was a GOVERNMENT program called OPERATION WETBACK.. to send the illegals back to where they came.

But. I guess that is racist., IDK!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
When the left starts calling my firearms that are unregistered undocumented instead of illegal, then I'll change from calling them illegal aliens.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

HanzHenry
Southern California USED to be nice (keyword, used).. that is because White Americans built it. Can Hispanics point to ANY part of Mexico as being anywhere NEAR as NICE? been to Mexico, what a trash heap.

Mexico is deeply and profoundly beautiful, as are its people.

Perhaps the trash heap you saw there was yours.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

~Lucidity

HanzHenry

Mexico is deeply and profoundly beautiful, as are its people.

Perhaps the trash heap you saw there was yours.

Yeah, Mexico is sooooo nice..

Yet all of the Mexicans whom are in America?....

must of struck a chord.. too bad. Mexico is a crap hole. America less so, but as more Mexicans come flooding across the border.. the areas they inhabit turn to crap.

Would you like to compare pictures of Orange county over the decades?

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

beezzer
When the left starts calling my firearms that are unregistered undocumented instead of illegal, then I'll change from calling them illegal aliens.

When the right starts calling pulling out a firearm and shooting an unarmed person murder instead of stand your ground...I will agree with you.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

the owlbear

beezzer

When the right starts calling pulling out a firearm and shooting an unarmed person murder instead of stand your ground...I will agree with you.

When people start realizing that using "right/left" makes you look stupid... you'll stop being taken as stupid.

Keep your knickers straight, and not in a knot. This is for both of you, and I'd hope you both act in a more civilized manner.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Your absolutely right, my wife who is Latvian had to wait 2.5 years in order to legally come to the u.s. they can wait too. that said just as a FYI, the wait time for mexico is 7-8 years. illegal immigration is a touchy subject for me. I think they all should be removed far far away, and made to wait behind people that are doing it legally. cheers

top topics

join