It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black rhino hunting permit auctioned for $350G

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Black rhino hunting permit auctioned for $350G; proceeds will go to conservation efforts

Next Slide Previous Slide

A permit to hunt an endangered African black rhino was sold for $350,000 at a closed-door auction in Dallas Saturday night.

The Dallas Safari Club, a self-described "organization of hunters, conservationists, and wildlife enthusiasts," had come under heavy criticism for sponsoring the auction, despite their insistence that the auction's proceeds would go toward conservation efforts.

"This auction is telling the world that an American will pay anything to kill their species," Jeffrey Flocken, North American regional director of the Massachusetts-based IFAW, said earlier this week. "This is, in fact, making a spectacle of killing an endangered species."

This makes me sick and sad.
their is No hope for the human race.
they are saying if you can pay a high enough money.
then you can do any thing at all.

it use't to be behind closed doors.
now they do it in the open.
any one want to buy the virginity of a one year old boy?

Humans should be enslaved by aliens
or best just killed off.
you Dont Have Soul's.

I dont want to be human!
I am NOT one of YOU!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Old rich white men with erectile dysfunction will pay any price in order to kill something with their big guns to feel like a "real man" even if its just for a few minutes.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
While I'm not condoning this behavior, I do have to say you didn't post all the facts.

The rhino that will be killed is all about, "Removing old, post-breeding bulls, which are territorial, aggressive and often kill younger, breeding bulls, cows and even calves, increases survival and productivity in a herd."

It's not just going over there and killing any black rhino the winner of the permit chooses. So, while it still might mean taking one of these creatures off the earth, it's purpose has been served. It could kill younger breeding rhino's or injure another endangered species.

Basically, $350,000 just went towards the conservation of the species... because this old, aggressive rhino would be "put down" by someone local anyways.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 12-1-2014 by AmateuRN because: additional info added

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AmateuRN

The rhino that will be killed is all about, "Removing old, post-breeding bulls, which are territorial, aggressive and often kill younger, breeding bulls, cows and even calves, increases survival and productivity in a herd."

That is the way nature wants it to be. Endangered species should be off limits to hunting.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Sigh. how much did you bid?
Evil IS evil.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

So you're saying you'd rather the aggressive male rhino kill younger breeding rhinos instead of being killed and money going towards conservation?

What say you about the rhino being killed for free, as would have happened anyway?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

buddha

Evil IS evil.

Wife only let me bid to 325,000

It was a well known auction. If you wanted to you could have started a pool with others and won it, then destroyed it. Fair to bid on.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

buddha

Evil IS evil.

Pshaw. You're probably eating a young tender calf (as burger) today as you complain about old, beyond breeding age, males being taken. Hypocrite much?
edit on 10/06/2013 by Tusks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

buddha

Evil IS evil.

Good to see you've been sucked in by MSM hyperbole.

I thought ATS was above this?

Clearly not..

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

That is the way nature wants it to be.

And does nature also want black rhinos to go extinct?

Nature is not a person or a god. It doesn't 'want' anything. In this case, culling one individual may help preserve the species.

However, it may be prudent to harvest sperm from this animal soon after it is killed, since it is obviously a dominant male with very good genes, even if it is a little past its effective reproductive age.

I agree that the $350k leave a bad taste, but the Namibian conservation authorities could undoubtedly put the money to good use. They cull five of these animals a year in any case; why not make some money on it?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
So is this all due to lack of space in the end? Meaning - the dominant black rhino with a larger environment would not be such a threat? If this is the case perhaps they can buy more land for them.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
There's a lot of things most people don't realize or understand about hunting, particularly in Africa. There is an ongoing problem with the poaching of endangered species there, much of it for meat and also for the black market sales of things like rhino horn, sold as aphrodisiacs in Asia. Lets face the facts-much of Africa is poor. Starvation level poor. People who are simply trying to survive don't care if the meat they get is endangered or not. If someone over there can make a month's wages for selling some illegal animal products, it's going to be pretty tempting for them to take a chance.

Poaching is treated quite harshly, and yet the problem continue's, and the endangered species continue to die. What's the solution? There is only one. The animals must be given value. Real, monetary value, not some abstract idea. How do you do this? Who will make them valuable? How do you make it worthwhile for poor, starving people to practice conservation rather than using these animals to sustain themselves? Well, all the animal rights groups could offer to pay x amount of dollars to preserve the animals, although they would have to find a way to verify that the animals are actually being preserved. Thus far, I am not aware of any groups willing to put up the amount of money to make this happen.

So, who will? Hunters. Hunters will pay large sums of money to have the opportunity to hunt in countries they have never been to, and hunt game they would never see anywhere else. Despite popular opinion, hunters have no desire to see species wiped off the map. They would much prefer to see them flourish. It's a perfect match. The animals now have real monetary value. Former poachers are often hired as rangers, paid to protect the animals and make sure they are not being poached. They can make much more money from one hunter coming in and hunting that animal than they ever could selling the meat. Outfitters and guides hire the natives to help with the safari's, and the money paid by the hunters in fee's licences etc puts a lot of money into the local economies. Everyone is interested in keeping the population of the animals healthy, because its their livelihood. Overhunting or killing off a species would eliminate their source of income, so they manage the herds carefully. It may seem counterintuitive to many, but hunting is the best thing that could have happened to many of the African big game species.

I am a hunter. I know many hunters. I also know quite a few people who are anti-hunting. So far, all I have seen the anti-hunting group do for animals is protest and whine. The hunters, myself included, have spent their own time and money to try to improve habitat for the animals, buy properties that are turned into sanctuaries(no hunting) and put out feed during particularly hard winters, like the one we're having this year. If you look at the facts, hunters do far more to aid the animals than anyone else. Might seem strange to those who don't hunt, but that's how it is.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

So out of 7 billion people in the world, a handful did something you didn't like and now you want the human race to be obliterated?

Not only is that melodramatic, it is pretty disturbed thinking.

Some couple probably adopted a disabled baby today to raise and love, someone else rescued starving and abused animals, a third gave a homeless family a place to live, but you want them destroyed because of something some azzhat did in Dallas.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

buster2010

That is the way nature wants it to be. Endangered species should be off limits to hunting.

Except they are endangered because of man, and have interrupted this species so much that nature has no idea what to do with it. Animals all over the world are behaving oddly and out of character because of the lack of space and food sources because humans keep encroaching on it.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
While it may seem distasteful for most, the reality is this, the older rhino is a threat to the survival of the species. It is going to kill and be a threat to others of its own kind, and for those that say don't kill it, the question is what do you do with the animal, and protect the species and assist in keeping an endangered species alive and moving to be non endangered?

I have a few ideas, and some may seem appealing, to some, though no so much to others, such as PETA. My idea would be allow the hunter to go off and hunt said rhino, but instead of a bullet that ends the life of the beast, rather a tranq gun to down it and then move the old Rhino to a zoo, where it can be looked at by the population, also where its remains can be carefully preserved, and thus they can eventually clone and bring back the species from the brink of destruction, that way it can serve 2 purposes, and help out.

The main problem with most endangered species, is that when the population gets too low, it ends up with a bottleneck situation, where eventually it is that all are related, and that will cause health problems down the line for the whole.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
How about an auction to take out the POS who won the first auction.
There is something clearly wrong in the mind of a trophy hunter..kind of psychopathic to kill for fun/sport and not for food.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

AmateuRN

So you're saying you'd rather the aggressive male rhino kill younger breeding rhinos instead of being killed and money going towards conservation?

What say you about the rhino being killed for free, as would have happened anyway?

The old bull will not kill all the younger bulls. The younger bulls that are killed off in natures opinion isn't worth breeding. The strongest bull is always the leader until a younger stronger bull replaces him. This way the best of the breed keeps the herd strong. If you kill off the strong bulls so younger inferior bulls can breed you weaken the herd not make it better. It's the same way with cattle.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

And does nature also want black rhinos to go extinct?

If these animals go extinct it won't be nature that does it man will be the reason it goes extinct. Just like man has caused many other species to go extinct.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I read about this a few months ago without the spin. The truth of the matter is in wildlife conservation of the heard is what matters individuals don't.

That Rhino was set for destruction because of it's aggressiveness and because it is believed it is sterile. The rangers had already decided to put it down either way but they came up with a way to fund further conservation efforts by auctioning it's hunt.

I am sorry if some people disagree with this but I don't.
edit on 12-1-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
perhaps an other auction for permission to shoot the "hunter" aka poacher ???????
such an scam...morality is counted in US dollars....yig
edit on 13-1-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join