It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let’s say that I am a business. Why should I care for your family?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I say this to poke the bear, so to speak. But it is an honest question isn’t it?

I can see applying health insurance to the employee and his/her family as a added benefit to retain good employees. But in today’s day and age, especially with the PPACA…what incentives do I have to keep doing that? Especially when it is cheaper to pay the fines instead.

OK…I did kind of answer my own question there…didn’t I? Or did I?

People own a business to make a profit. Not to take care of their employees. Taking care of their employees should be a given, but we all know that is not the case.

Where is the middle ground? And please don’t tell me Unions, because they have become as corrupt as DC.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

No man is an island and no company that has workers can afford to NOT take care of them.Life is give and take,and your employee's can make or break you.Therefore it is ALWAYS in a company's best interest to take care of those people that help make the company successful.Should you hold they're hand? No,but you should have standard benefits there for them so they don't feel like they are working for nothing.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Take a trip down memory lane or do some research.

In the 1950s, in general terms, people expected a good wage for a good weeks work. The boss made his weeks wages and a profit above that that he would put back into the business or in his pocket. Everybody was happy.

Now, the boss wants to make a million dollars and he wants it yesterday. # the workers, who cares. The workers see the attitude for what it is and think # the boss, I'll do the minimum I can get away with.

Then you see all the jobs getting sent to china and you wail and cry about the unfairness of it all, but, you still buy the stuff from china.

Perhaps a little self development is in order. Is it the bosses fault or would the majority throw their co workers under the buss for life on easy street. Is it the bosses or is it everyone. Are you the exception, or part of the problem.

P

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

TDawgRex

People own a business to make a profit. Not to take care of their employees. Taking care of their employees should be a given, but we all know that is not the case.

But it is no longer a 'given' in business practise. I know few people with employer sponsered healthcare any longer. When I was young but companies provided something. Now they don't, for the reasons you stated and that many don't care to retain skilled people - just find the cheaper 'place holder'.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

I totally understand where you are coming from. But we "The People" are now stuck between a rock and a hard place probably more so than ever before.

Unions, and their high wages/dues are driving business overseas. The Gov't is trying to level the playing field when it comes to employer healthcare, and failing miserably in the process overall.

I'm just thinking that until the ship is rightened, we are screwed either way. Or maybe our families are.

If I ran a business, I would do everything in my power to keep my employees happy. They after all make the product and allow the profit to be had. Give them bonuses (during the good years) and incentives. But also don't BS them when they sign on to the company.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Take care of your employees and they will take care of you...10 fold.

Business 101

Peace

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

pheonix358

Take a trip down memory lane or do some research.

In the 1950s, in general terms, people expected a good wage for a good weeks work. The boss made his weeks wages and a profit above that that he would put back into the business or in his pocket. Everybody was happy.

Now, the boss wants to make a million dollars and he wants it yesterday. # the workers, who cares. The workers see the attitude for what it is and think # the boss, I'll do the minimum I can get away with.

Then you see all the jobs getting sent to china and you wail and cry about the unfairness of it all, but, you still buy the stuff from china.

Perhaps a little self development is in order. Is it the bosses fault or would the majority throw their co workers under the buss for life on easy street. Is it the bosses or is it everyone. Are you the exception, or part of the problem.

P

I don't need to take a trip down memory lane. I traveled it already. Am also retired at a fairly young age.

But I think that you've hit the nail on the head. The workers don't give a crap. So why should the employers? Knowing that idiots will still buy their products?

It is everyone's problem. I do not discount the idea of Unions totally, but I do when it comes to rolling them up into the big name ones. They'll screw you too.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I always thought the employees made the business, or else why bother having them? Just run your business by yourself and see how that works out. If I had a business, I would pay my help what they are worth and would certainly have no problem rewarding them for helping me and my business.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Reap what you sow.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I had a guy one time offer me a job tig welding titanium components for an organization that built aerospace and nautical parts, when I got certified it cost me the better part of 10,000 on my own for a slew of materials, instruction, and time not only including the 110 an hour a CWI charges for inspecting but also the cost of the xray and other quality measures. The company wanted to pay me 9.50 an hour I laughed at him. For a certification that only lasts 6 months, I would have only made less then half of my money back, the job was bid for 3 million dollars, think about it. He even said he don't need someone certified he will hire someone else later on to fix any screw ups. I have a ton of stories like this in the welding world don't even get me started on why I believe the idea of the 20 year career is over with. I can rant and bitch all day long. I say hire a furking robot eff it

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
You shouldn't care for my family... that's my job. You should care about providing a product or service that can be bought at a good value and that benefits the end user.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

queenofsheba

I always thought the employees made the business, or else why bother having them? Just run your business by yourself and see how that works out. If I had a business, I would pay my help what they are worth and would certainly have no problem rewarding them for helping me and my business.

And to me...that is how it should be.

But things have gone cattywampus with regulations, and laws...*sigh* I just don't know any more. I guess I'm frustrated.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I worked for a small mom and pop, well my boss was an incredible beautiful lady that owned it and ran it, and she was great. I gave her my all and we had fun and she taught me so much about customer service and just life in general. Of course, it was her and only four of us employees so maybe she gets out of the healthcare stuff. I'm not really sure what the policy is if you are a company of say, maybe less than twenty-five...of which she definitely was. But I do know I gave her my all because she treated me like a person, rather than a number or simply as an "employee"...it makes a difference; how you treat people.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
So, does a mother say to their child. Why should I care about you, are you going to help me profit? No.. then don't know why businesses should need some financial 'reason' to care..

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
just like EVERY OTHER SOCIOECONOMIC PROBLEM- the root cause is the same.

GOVERNMENT.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Cows11
So, does a mother say to their child. Why should I care about you, are you going to help me profit? No.. then don't know why businesses should need some financial 'reason' to care..

Hmmm....back in the 1800's and before, that was quite likely. Farmers always put their kids to work at a early age...and married them off young as well.

But we are a different culture now than then.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

IMO if an employer doesn't take care of their employees, employees will not have incentive to help your customers, steal from you, take advantage..

Like Mother Nature, everything needs a balance... right?
edit on 12-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I remember when TIG welding was a fat cash job. And most guys learned it OJT. Now that it pays the same as some one at MickeyD's is astounding. That says a lot as to where the US is headed.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

In a competitive job market, you offer this as a benefit to attract qualified employees to your business.

If the job market in your area does not necessitate you offering this benefit, you would not.

it's simple business.

If you are a potential employee and you interview at two companies that are equal matched in all ways, and only one offers complete medical coverage... Which business would you choose to work for?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

I just got hired to tig stainless for a fair wage, took me since before thanksgiving to find a decent job, its been rough. I was told one time after a weld test that I have to understand something I am not going to work for you so I can get rich thats why he started the company so deal with it. I was essentially told when I asked for the same rate from the previous at 21.00 an hour I was told he was thinking more like 14.50 and I said well I dont think I can weld for you for anything less then 21 the guy trying to hire me told me he didn't start the company to make me rich. The job was listed at 19 an hour I wanted the same rate I was making at the other job welding alloys is not exactly easy and if it is 100% XRay it isn't his certs and rep on the line. Most ppl in the higher ups in the construction trade as I have noticed really don't care about you period they make money and bone you aka butt#'d. My last job didn't give me a pay stub for 3 months even though I asked every week told me it was an admin issue and it will get resolved, apparently they listed me as a FL resident even though I am a PA resident just so they could charge the main contractor perdiem for me they pocketed all the perdiem and never set my direct deposit causing me to default 3 months of PA state income tax and then laid me off before turkey day. I've had alot of BS happen to me since the war been homeless twice, been beaten by bosses that had me work 2 weeks and never paid me, got hired at companies and then had wages withdrawn and pay you what they feel like etc etc. I'd rather be back at war in most cases then live this way in America.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join