It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dad ‘Furious’ After He Switches to Obamacare Only to Find It Didn’t Cover His Children

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
More fun and games from the land of Obamacare!

Here we have a father and his family who carried their own insurance prior to Obamacare, and it got cancelled.

Being the responsible citizens they are, he tried to enroll them in other private options.

Peter McCurdy was informed months ago that his HSA insurance would no longer be allowed under the Affordable Care Act. Begrudgingly, the Painesville, Ohio, pastor signed up for health insurance under the federal exchange when he decided he couldn’t afford private options.

Imagine his surprise when he discovers that the only options the exchange will allow will only cover he and his wife in a paid plan, and all his children must be put on Medicaid (CHIP).

McCurdy explained that as he was applying — over the phone he said because the website wasn’t working — he was told he couldn’t sign his children up for insurance on his plan because they might be covered under the state’s Medicaid program.

Then, not only was he forced into putting his children in Medicaid, but thanks to the problems with Obamacare, none of the Medicaid applications have been referred to the states from the feds. So, none of the new Medicaid applicants have gone to the states for processing, and none of them have any coverage as of now whether they qualified or not.

“Ohioans who applied for health care benefits on the federal website (www.Healthcare.gov) but were denied because that system determined they might be eligible for Ohio Medicaid instead were notified by the federal government that an application was forwarded on their behalf to Ohio to determine Medicaid eligibility,” a fact sheet from the state about the issue explained. “However, because of glitches in Healthcare.gov, the federal government did not transfer those applications to the State.”

That in and of itself is a problem.

However, what really makes me angry is that here we have a family that was previously paying their way and not on federal aid. Now, thanks to Obamacare, their prior insurance in cancelled, and they are not allowed to even try to purchase coverage for their family. Instead, their children must be put on Medicaid whether they want it or not.

How many other people are similarly being forced onto welfare roles because of this?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I for one enrolled, and have insurance for the first time since I lost my job a year and a half ago. I realize that there are some down sides to all of this, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I honestly hope they fix all of this BS sooner than later....You said (CHIP) what did you mean by that?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Time and time again, I hear these horror stories of Obamacare. Time and time again, these horror stories get debunked.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

LeatherNLace
Time and time again, I hear these horror stories of Obamacare. Time and time again, these horror stories get debunked.

They do now? Want to show some proof to your statement?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I am still amazed that nobody saw this coming! It was plain as day that this grandiose plan was an enormous tax levy, but supporters thought something for next to nothing was their 'right'.
What's even more amazing to me is the fact that our 'potus' still has supporters. The worst is yet to come, I fear.
'One small step for 'the man'; one giant leap backwards for the citizens'.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If he was surprised by this, he may want to pay a little more attention to whats going on in the world, he was told over and over, maybe he just didn't want to believe what Fox news was saying this whole time, which I cant blame him, they lie all the time like the other news stations. Obamacare is bad news.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

OK, try debunking that the rich, muslims , jehovas witnesses and scientologists ARE NOT required to pay health insurance, start with Snopes, it says it pretty clearly on the page s
traight out of the Act. Debunk away, but use a reputable source please.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I just took a look at this guy's Facebook page. He is a pastor with a degree from a seminary school and is a fan of Mitt Romney, Rush Limbaugh and Duck Dynasty. Then, of all places to go to tell his story, he chooses to tell his story to The Blaze (a right-wing site started by Glenn Beck).

Nope, no bias there...not at all.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

I'm just curious. Do you pay more or less for insurance than you before? What about copays and deductibles? You don't have to give exact numbers you are paying if you don't want to. I just would like to know if it is more or less.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Never mind OP, I looked up CHIP myself, DUH!!! LOL at myself. I should have know what it meant. I stupidly assumed you meant CHIP implant.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

ThichHeaded

LeatherNLace

They do now? Want to show some proof to your statement?

Let me Google that for you
edit on 10-1-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

LeatherNLace

What are you talking about? Most of things the right has been saying about Obamacare have come true. You cannot keep your insurance if you like it. It IS costing people more than before. You can lose your doctor. And these are just some of the things that have been confirmed. You need to pull your head out of the sand. Even left wing bastions like MSNBC are having a hard time covering for this law.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I have a feeling this has a lot to do with his reported income. I looked up his profile and it seems his only job is with the church so he must be living off the donations. Whatever the formula is that the govt site is useing probably puts his family in poverty status even though it is Tax free. Well hopefully it gets worked out but I am pretty sure there is more to this story than what is being reported on The Blaze

Anyway here is his profile:
Rev. Peter McCurdy
Endorsed Missionary at International Ministries

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Obama even out sourced the website for Healthcare.gov to another country. When jobs are needed here in America. Certainly there must be many, many programmers in America ( I know one myself ) willing to build this all important website for Americans' healthcare!?!

On top of that, Canada has Government run healthcare ( free ) so, how better to rub it in the faces of Americans, who first of all need jobs to get healthcare to begin with. Some qualify for other programs, the sick, elderly/children fall under Medicaid/Medicare, at least these programs work.

Another example of hard working, well intending Americans being stabbed in the back once again.

No insult intended towards Canadians.

edit on 10-1-2014 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

kurthall
reply to post by ketsuko

I for one enrolled, and have insurance for the first time since I lost my job a year and a half ago. I realize that there are some down sides to all of this, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I honestly hope they fix all of this BS sooner than later....You said (CHIP) what did you mean by that?

Child's Health Insurance Program. It's basically Medicaid for kids and covers kids that normally wouldn't be covered under Medicaid because their parents make too much.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

This has always stuck to me as one of the bigger atrocities of Obamacare and I'm actually a little disappointed that the MSM hasn't talked about this more. Also keep in mind that the company that this project was outsourced to has relations with Michelle. I guess placating friends of your spouse is more important than employing out of work Americans huh?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

The simple fact is that he was paying and supporting himself and insured before this all began. Now despite trying to take the same route, his children are being forced onto basic welfare while he can pay for himself and his wife.

What kind of affordable program actively seeks to turn people into welfare recipients when they weren't before?

That's my point with this.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

Perhaps you can help me out with explaining what his line of work and personal political beliefs have to do with his issues in signing up for insurance? Is the suggestion that he fabricated the story?

The way I'm reading this, he's talking about events in the past and current tense for the problems he's dealing with and not something feared or speculated, which could naturally have all kinds of politics behind it.

Simple, direct and 1st person experience is a matter of 1 question tho, isn't it? Did the man lie or is be being honest? ..Well, do we have reason to believe he's lying?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I get what you are saying but do see what I am saying.

What i think has happened is he cant show that he makes enough money to support himself and family at least not based on taxes or provable income so the system is set up so it doesn't bleed families dry for that health coverage. That is why his kids are being referred to a government program. Who knows how he was paying for it before I am not sure how a Reverand gets paid. Do they get a set salary is it a month to month depending on donations. When something like a bill for health coverage comes around do they pass the hat. I just do not know. That is why I said I don't think we are getting the hole story here.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I can only tell you how my son's friend's dad was paid. But he sure had proof of income.
When the parishioners where looking for a new minister, (not sure if the terms are correct, but you get the jist) the applicants were told what the yearly salary would be. He did not have to pay for the home, as it belonged to the church, he had a salary, had to file taxes on that salary.

So it was probably due to falling below what the government set as a "poverty line", because they don't make a whole lot, but they don't have the big expense of a home usually unless they choose not to live in the church home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join