It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scale Of Universe Revealed In New Ultraprecise Galaxy Map

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

"We don’t yet understand what dark energy is, but we can measure its properties," Daniel Eisenstein, a Harvard University astronomer working with the survey, said in a statement. "Then, we compare those values to what we expect them to be, given our current understanding of the universe. The better our measurements, the more we can learn."

I love this article. It states the universe is infinite and dark energy exists and remains constant. All I need now is for them to tell me how to explore it all in my lifetime.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

ChefSlug

"We don’t yet understand what dark energy is, but we can measure its properties," Daniel Eisenstein, a Harvard University astronomer working with the survey, said in a statement. "Then, we compare those values to what we expect them to be, given our current understanding of the universe. The better our measurements, the more we can learn."

I love this article. It states the universe is infinite and dark energy exists and remains constant. All I need now is for them to tell me how to explore it all in my lifetime.

Read about this earlier today on a different news site. I'm certainly no astrophysicist but how can the universe be infinite when current models strongly support the big bang? If the big bang was the beginning of the universe then how can it be infinite? It would have to be expanding, wouldn't it?

I would appreciate it if someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject could put that into laymans terms for dummies like me, since everything I've read seems to suggest that the infinite universe theory was abandoned years ago.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Seems to me when the universe is constantly expanding 'infinite' seems to be correct.

When everything is constantly in motion rather hard to 'quantify' it.

Right ?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

neo96
Seems to me when the universe is constantly expanding 'infinite' seems to be correct.

When everything is constantly in motion rather hard to 'quantify' it.

Right ?

But if it's expanding then it has to have an "end" to expand into, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

But if it's expanding then it has to have an "end" to expand into, doesn't it?

I don't think so.

Energy can't be created or destroyed just transformed that is how interstellar bodies are created unless I have miss understood.

Pretty much I think black holes are like the universes garbage disposal recycling matter, and energy.

But that is just my opinion when it comes to this kind of stuff ask the ATS sages.

edit on 9-1-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Yes, to be expanding means it is occupying ever more space. That means it is not yet occupying all the space.
edit on 1/9/2014 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

The universe being infinite is very disconcerting. If it is finite, it's quite possible it will all come in on itself to continue everything that happened before. What has happened will happen again.

If it were truly infinite, then the end spells a very dark, bleak cold death.

Kinda depressing.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
meh, it seems like they just dribble a whole lot of crap most the time, which one is it 'infinite' or 'expanding', cant be both that's an oxymoron and completely ridiculous. If it's expanding then what is it expanding into? whatever it is it is expanding into which currently is not regarded as the universe then what do these bozos call that, nothingness? What is it that is outside this expanding infinite universe? you have to know where an edge is first to conclude it is expanding, and if some are saying that the universe is infinite with no known boundaries well it appears that that would just be a complete stab in the dark; "well. we cant find the edge so it must be infinite".

I might just go and watch the Never Ending story, seems like a better fairy tale than these 'scientists' can come up with.

And some of them have the audacity to mock religion, then they bring us the most unbelievable contradictive fairy tales you'll ever hear.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If is infinite then it cannot be expanding. It cannot grow larger. If I could add something to it then it is not infinite...if I can take something away from it then it is not infinite.

It has to be outside of time because it cannot be divided or measured in any way. Where would I mark 1/10 of infinity? So it cannot be divided or sub-sectioned.

If the universe is infinite then I am infinite.

If I am finite then the Universe is finite.

There is not room for both finite and infinity...it is impossible.

If the Universe is infinite then we are the Universe as everything else is and we are not a part of it. As I stated before how can one subsection that which cannot be divided?

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

If the big bang was the beginning of the universe then how can it be infinite?

Obviously if the universe is infinite then it means that the big bang did not create space-time. It would be more accurate to imagine the big bang as a spontaneous release of energy occurring within infinite space which already existed before the big bang.

which one is it 'infinite' or 'expanding', cant be both that's an oxymoron and completely ridiculous.

There's nothing invalid about infinite space expanding. You can add more space to infinite space, it's a fairly mainstream idea actually.
edit on 10/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
What is with this 'finite' crap ?

A. The universe is constantly expanding.

B. With black holes and super massive black holes would mean a constant state of 'contraction'.

Just stating an opinion here nothing says anyone has to agree.

But it is BOTH expanding and contracting.

A constant state of motion.

Maybe a more apt word to be using is 'universal ebbs' like tides.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Mainstream nonsense. How can you add to infinity? Without redefining it as "almost" infinite. which is just another word for finite.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It appears to be expanding and contracting. As the picture on my screen appears to be 3 dimensional.

Does not make it so.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

spav5
reply to post by neo96

It appears to be expanding and contracting. As the picture on my screen appears to be 3 dimensional.

Does not make it so.

Peace

So completely ignore the effects of black holes, and super massive black holes on space and time ?

Alrightie then.

edit on 10-1-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

There's nothing invalid about infinite space expanding. You can add more space to infinite space, it's a fairly mainstream idea actually.
edit on 10/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

oh I don't think so, science has reached a new low if that is their current consensus or even if it is just a proposed idea.

Good to see the lost the definition of "infinite" whilst studying all their great formulas. pffft, what a pack of raving lunatics. And they receive government grants(eg my tax money) to come up with this contradictive fairy tale and laugh in the face of religion, I'm disgusted to say the least.
edit on 10-1-2014 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

What does that have to do with anything?

If there are such things as people and black holes then the Universe is finite.

Infinity can have the appearance of many things I suppose...but it cannot have parts.

Only finite things can have parts.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

Whatever.

I really have to laugh at people saying space is finite, or has an 'end'.

Sounds like people of yesteryear saying the Earth is flat.

ETA:

The universe was around long,long,long before people.
edit on 10-1-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

Mainstream nonsense. How can you add to infinity? Without redefining it as "almost" infinite.

Infinity + 1 is still infinity. Being infinite does not mean it is "full" and can't have any more space added to it.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ChefSlug

"universe is infinite" is not a scientific statement.

A scientific statement states the capabilities and limits of the instrument and method used.

The basic fact is that current science has not produced an instrument that can "see" the ends of Universe.

The problem of "missing mass" is resulting in speculation about dark energy and/or dark matter. This is highly speculative at this time.

This is a starting phase in journey, so expecting a conclusion is too much.

edit on 10-1-2014 by GargIndia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I guess that is all you can do is laugh because you have not thought about it hard enough.

I am not laughing at you.

Exactly how do I divide infinity and what is half of infinity? what would that amount to?

If infinity exists then it is everything ...there is no infinite space infinite pizza..just infinity.

Still laughing? Next step name calling then running away. That is what most people do when they pretend to have a clue about something that they do not.

I am not pretending..I have no clue. But infinity and finite cannot co-exist. I did not define the terms.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join