It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teachers need guns, says lawmaker whose son attended school with Colorado shooter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Story on Fox news

“I don't want my wife and kids to be sitting ducks,” Harvey told FoxNews.com. He said his own son was on the debate team with Pierson, who took his own life as the two staff members, including school resource officer James Englert, who was armed, and Rod Mauler, an unarmed school security guard and retired deputy, closed in on him.

Harvey has introduced a bill to allow school districts in Colorado to let teachers carry guns. He sponsored the bill prior to the shooting, but says that the tragedy cements the measure's importance.

“It validated why I think an armed person in the school is a good thing,” Harvey told FoxNews.com.

Okay before we debate the merits of arming teachers... lets take a close look at this next line from this article...

Pierson's 80-second attack started after....

Did you catch that part...80 seconds...not quite a full minute and a half and it was done and over...
Arapahoe has an armed officer onsite... not just for this reason but their there and at many schools across the country... His being there stopped this kid from turning his high school into another Columbine... cool the guy did his job, he deserves a raise and all the kudos his department has to offer....and the powers that be who put him there were on the ball, for once...

With that said and done... let me now say I think any adult who wants to apply for train and carry a concealed weapon should be allowed too...If a teacher should happen to have one... cool beans, I say let them carry at work...

But this guy...Republican state Sen. Ted Harvey wife said "armed teachers at Arapahoe High School might have been able to act even more quickly!" and that statement bugs me...

It just gives me this disturbing image of my little gray haired second grade teacher sporting a tactical vest wielding an M4 set to rock-n-roll and performing a clear and sweep through the library...Might want to give the janitors a SAW to provide cover fire while your at it?

Look I'm all for letting teachers carry if they want too... As far as I can see they did what they should have... locked themselves and their students, in their rooms and let those professional trained to do so... deal with it... which is exactly what happened and it all happened in less than one and a half minutes... 80 seconds...

Don't we put enough pressure on our underpaid teachers.... to dump this on them too...

"Class, line up class... today we'll be going on a Long-range reconnaissance patrol to the museum... Has everyone picked a battle buddy... wonderful, now please board the APC in an orderly manner... Sally do you mind manning the MA duce honey?... let go people lets go!"

edit on 8-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Sorry but when teacher needs to be a armed profession something is terribly rotten in your country.

Im not saing gun owner ship is bad ect But what I am saying there is some major social problem in the USA thats causing your mass shootings. Now seeing as other countrys have lax gun laws without the same troubles Im guessing its something else.
edit on 8-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

There's a lot of things wrong with my country...
Still I think of myself as a patriot, I love the ideals and promise we stand for...
living up to those standards... lets just say... were working on it...slowly to be sure... but we are working on it

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
ahh...

I love ATS sometimes...

The ole' one, two punch thread setup.

Ok, another "Anti-gun' thread in disguise. I like the twist though. Innovative.

wok is right though, something does need to change.

Now, solutions that don't involve given up the Second amendment?

ETA: Vote beezzer for ATS sheriff

edit on 8-1-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

HardCorps
reply to post by crazyewok

There's a lot of things wrong with my country...
Still I think of myself as a patriot, I love the ideals and promise we stand for...
living up to those standards... lets just say... were working on it...slowly to be sure... but we are working on it

I wasnt trying to attack the USA.

What im really saying is someone really needs to look into WHY these mass shootings are happening. Banning guns or arming everyone, neither are a solution just a band aid at best or at worse a aggrivating factor.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Now, solutions that don't involve given up the Second amendment?

Looking into the way guns and violence is viewed in the USA may be a start.

When I was there I got the impression from the media and atmosphere that the best way in the USA to deal with a problem is punch it in the face, shot it or blow it up. even your goverment promote violence as means to solve issue.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

crazyewok
Looking into the way guns and violence is viewed in the USA may be a start.

When I was there I got the impression from the media and atmosphere that the best way in the USA to deal with a problem is punch it in the face, shot it or blow it up.even your goverment promote violence as means to solve issue.

So the media is at fault?

I'm just curious in the UK how many US TV shows air?

Ahh ok now you edited to add the "Government" ok, anything else?

What viable and realistic solution do you propose?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

HardCorps

I used to think of myself as a patriot, then I realized what was happening in this country and world, and I became a revolutionary. When i realized that we are at a point beyond which revolution could do any good, I became a rebel. Corrections will not be made without bloodshed, unfortunately.

Arming school teachers is a horrible idea. Arming a school teacher who is already trained in weapons is probably ok. But yeah, you don't give a Glock to a 23 year old barbie who is at her first year teaching kindergarten, and has never fired a weapon. That just creates so many dangers in itself.

The idea that 'all school teachers should be armed' is just reactionary. That statement involves no thought regarding the causes for people to go nuts and kill little kids. When I go nuts, I'm going into WalMart and start shooting up televisions. They are the things that are killing us, oh so slowly.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Mon1k3r because: i before e

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

SLAYER69

So the media is at fault?

I dont know, Im just throwing ideas out.

In the UK though although we do air US shows they seem to be more diserning on what time of day violent programs are shown.
You 7-8pm TV slots are alot more violent than our same slot.

Eitherway something is wrong somewhere.

You say its not the guns or 2nd Amendment? Well ok but its something.

quote] crazyewok
What viable and realistic solution do you propose?

I dont know? What would you suggest?
Eitherway there something wrong somewere.

Maybe try and limit the violence kids are shown or at least try and display it in a context that implies that resorting to violence first is the wrong way?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You are very wrong in your assumption that mine is an anti gun thread...
Bet I pop out my NRA life member card faster then you can...

What I am is a highly trained Professional, one of the proud and the few, and a former ICE agent as well...

what I'm against is walking up to a teacher and saying... here, take this gun and protect my kids!...by the way we're cutting your salary to defray the cost

that's not their 'F' ing job man...
edit on 8-1-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

crazyewok

I know this is why I'm asking about realistic viable solutions

We can all post about what we agree and disagree on but I hardly ever see any real solutions offered.

I see you keep editing

Maybe try and limit the violence kids are shown or at least try and display it in a context that implies that resorting to violence first is the wrong way?

Wouldn't that be a 'Parental' responsibility?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

crazyewok
Sorry but when teacher needs to be a armed profession something is terribly rotten in your country.

Im not saing gun owner ship is bad ect But what I am saying there is some major social problem in the USA thats causing your mass shootings. Now seeing as other countrys have lax gun laws without the same troubles Im guessing its something else.

Professional? An 80 year old woman with a gun becomes as dangerous as the deadliest of criminals. Major cities across the US are reporting nose dives in crime rates. Why??? Because everyone is arming themselves. Switzerland is the ONLY other country giving the citizens the right to bear arms . Obama is the best gun salesman the world has ever seen. I see villages wipe out in Africa and other countries just because the gov is the only people with guns. You're guessing about something that does not exist.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
let it be the teachers liberty to be armed or not. No need to advertise it. If a teacher doesnt want to be armed, fine, thats there will. I dont see a problem with it.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

SLAYER69

I

We can all post about what we agree and disagree on but I hardly ever see any real solutions offered.

Either way you cant say nothings wrong and the USA is working how it should and mass shooting every other month is normal?

If someone doesnt have a serouis think and disscuion on this then polticians will come in and like always try and solve it in the most quickist (and usesally most stupid) way, like either takeing all guns or like the OP giveing everyone guns.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

SLAYER69

crazyewok

there was a realistic viable solution in place... an armed officer as well as unarmed security... sad that in this day and age we cut programs like art and music for that sake of maintaining security but you do what ya gotta do

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

crazyewok

SLAYER69

I

Either way you cant say nothings wrong and the USA is working how it should and mass shooting every other month is normal?

If someone doesnt have a serouis think and disscuion on this then polticians will come in and like always try and solve it in the most quickist (and usesally most stupid) way, like either takeing all guns or like the OP giveing everyone guns.

99% of "mass shottings" are from Mentally unstable people. The “gun” is just the means of inflicting harm. if guns were not Available, I’m sure they would be using knifes or other means to inflict harm on others
edit on 8-1-2014 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Retracted

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

crazyewok

What gave you the impression I think "nothings wrong and the USA is working' I'm asking for possible solutions.

I even agreed with you remember?

wok is right though, something does need to change.

Retracted

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Retracted

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My mother is a teacher, and she's told me that she doesn't want a gun and that she's not comfortable with the teachers that do (as she knows them well and they are a little trigger happy) want guns.

I've had some teachers in my past that I would absolutely never allow to have a firearm in the classroom, let alone own one personally. I've seen teachers actually physically assault students out of frustration.

Teachers are strained beyond belief today. Besides the obvious behavioral problems with kids today, they have larger class sizes and abysmal pay. I honestly can't understand why anyone would choose to teach.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join