It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAK UP: Will California splinter into 6 states? Voters, Congress could soon decide

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Living in Northern California (and being a native) I personally would love to see the split. We can sell the water at a huge profit to the folks down in the desert. Heck if we could control our own water (and had the same rights it it that Alaskans have to their oil) We would be the next Abu Dhabi.

Every single person in Nor-Cal would be wealthy beyond reason.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well i think it is moot point, I mean when the big one hits most of it will be gone anyway.

Don't laugh to hard.... Lol

The Bot

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I support this only if they are named California-1, California-2, California-3, etc. Just so there is multiple California States to annoy the other States.

reply to post by Mamatus

I'm a Northerner too

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If this went to a public vote and it passed one judge can just overturn it ... its a waste of time.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by schuyler

You say never, but then you mention VA/WVA which happened only because of war.

Well, we live in interesting and very bitterly divided times. The last time we were this divided was during the same war that saw the break up of the Virginias.

Ketsuko is correct about the comparison in time periods. Also, it is a rural / urban thing. I think it would be fairly unlikely for California to split into 6 states, but it is still a sign of the times.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

You know, it would be more feasible to extend the borders of Oregon down over the Norther part of California.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about this. I was born in California and lived in or near it (usually near on the Nevada side of the border) for the majority of my life, and am planning to move back depending on how my job search goes. So their politics are always of interest to me.

I do think the state has too much national influence, but a large part of that influence comes as a result of the population. San Diego and LA would be in the same state, so while we wouldn't have as much influence, there would still be a small state with a huge amount. Imagine LA and San Diego having 25 representatives and 2 senators just to themselves. In the end, the addition of another 10 senators would give the overall region MORE influence though it would be more localized. I've always felt bad for Northern California being so poorly represented, but is that really any different from upstate New York or all of Nevada outside of Las Vegas?

On the other hand, there's a pretty big area of California that isn't self sufficient, it relies on the more prosperous areas to keep it afloat. Cutting off that support and concentrating all of the money in fewer areas could be disastrous.

I guess that in the end I'm against it, at least as currently proposed because each area doesn't have a self sufficient economy.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Yep, this issue is getting talked about more and more, all across the country. And you are right. It is about rural folks being ignored and still having to help pay what the urban folks say. It's getting worse as time goes on. I'm betting that Illinios or Michigan is next with a petition.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Oregon is a great State. I wouldn't want them to have to include Sacramento, where I live, if it was extended that far.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Talk. It's only talk. Elephant talk.

It's the same talk that shows up at election time...gun rights, abortion rights, immigration...you know, vapid rally cry reactionary button pushing topics. And the idea that some millionaire is going to listen to the rural community and stand up for them, sounds like snake-oil being sold.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

SWCCFAN
If this went to a public vote and it passed one judge can just overturn it ... its a waste of time.

What purpose would the judge have to overturn it? Surely you're not hinting at some sort of bias?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by trumpet

This is a issue that I have been seeing more and more lately in my lifetime (Five decades). It's a bit odd wouldn't you agree?

Maybe it's the interwebz and people are more connected than ever before.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I was under the impression that a quake would break up California. I guess the people just don't have the patients to wait.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is just another aggressive attempt by conservatives to gain power for themselves, like all the voter suppression, religion in government, wars, etc. They just can't live knowing that they can't have everything their so they want to try to force their ways on everyone. They are losing power due to immigration and also young people not wanting their lives dominated by religion, war, and business interests, so they are throwing tantrums and trying to start their own states.

We have a lot of people like that where I work and their basically a bunch of whiny cry-babies because of things that mainly have no effect on them but offend their overly-sensitive sensibilities.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

rickymouse
I was under the impression that a quake would break up California. I guess the people just don't have the patients to wait.

You're killing me!

Patients? or Patience? Though I am sure that the ACA does have something to do with this for some people.

Sorry...the lack of sleep is making me loopy.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

CB328
This is just another aggressive attempt by conservatives to gain power for themselves, like all the voter suppression, religion in government, wars, etc. They just can't live knowing that they can't have everything their so they want to try to force their ways on everyone. They are losing power due to immigration and also young people not wanting their lives dominated by religion, war, and business interests, so they are throwing tantrums and trying to start their own states.

We have a lot of people like that where I work and their basically a bunch of whiny cry-babies because of things that mainly have no effect on them but offend their overly-sensitive sensibilities.

Replace conservatives with progressives and your post would make just as much sense.

Really...who is cramming down who's throat here? I see people trying to escape the tyranny.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I see people trying to escape the tyranny.

What tyranny? That they can't have an arsenal, and people hundreds of miles away can smoke pot or be gay? Like I said, I know of ton of people like that in Eastern Washington and they all whine about how they hate the democrats outvoting them, but none of them want to move to the republican state next door, hmm.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

CB328

I see people trying to escape the tyranny.

What tyranny? That they can't have an arsenal, and people hundreds of miles away can smoke pot or be gay? Like I said, I know of ton of people like that in Eastern Washington and they all whine about how they hate the democrats outvoting them, but none of them want to move to the republican state next door, hmm.

The rural are being outvoted by the urban. Two different lifestyles.

It's as simple as that. What happened to being equal?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Well, to be honest, I think folks are agitated and upset because of the current instabilities, and our elected officials set the pandering examples of extremism and division rather than remembering by, for and of. People have been fed this for years now, so they think it's the way they should react. You don't hear this kind of talk when economy is solid, conflicts are
not occurring. Flux is natural. Bottom line is there is unevenness in representation, but none of the elected or monied are willing to truly work toward solutions. If rural and urban unify, we could actually exact change in the current status.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Aazadan

On the other hand, there's a pretty big area of California that isn't self sufficient, it relies on the more prosperous areas to keep it afloat. Cutting off that support and concentrating all of the money in fewer areas could be disastrous.

In the last year the state has stopped 3 solar power plants from being built in the desert where i live.
they have also shut down all mining.

Its hard to be self sufficient when the state will not allow you to be.

If the area i live in could take take the water LA is stealing and turn the Owens River Valley into cropland. and they could turn the desert to the southeast into major solar power plants.

plus be allowed to start mining industrial raw supplies.

we would be self sufficient.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join