It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Egyptian Pharaoh's Tomb discovered :)

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

The important find is the burial site of Sobekhotep I, believed to be the first king of the 13th Dynasty

The tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh King Sobekhotep I, believed to be first king of the 13th Dynasty (1781BC-1650BC), has been discovered by a team from the University of Pennsylvania at Abydos in Middle Egypt, 500km south of Cairo. Since new royal tombs are rarely discovered, and as only ten from the 13th Dynasty are known—all at Dahshur, just south of Cairo—this is an important find. King Sobekhotep I ruled for only about three years, at a time when Egypt was entering a period of decline. In fact, the chronological evidence for this period is so complex that scholars are still debating the order of the 13th Dynasty kings.

www.theartnewspaper.com...

i just love it when new stuff like this is found.. ... looks like they're getting a few bits out of it so should be interesting to see! i did look to see if it was posted already and couldn't see it, pls delete if it has been

edit on 6-1-2014 by ladyteeny because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2014 by ladyteeny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Fascinating.That's pretty far from Cairo.I'm guessing that this wasn't in the valley of kings burial area.
edit on CSTMonpm1761 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If they find a coke bottle cap inside the tomb Hawass was there first and left a clue

YAY way to put PA University on the map for doing something rad

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

If thats what he was buried in he must have been very large!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Wow, check out those edges

Incredible stone-workers!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That is awesome!

Its only a matter of time before that ancient aliens show goes there and distorts all the info.

I can already see it "Humans couldnt do that the angles are to precise, It must have been ALIENS"

I am going to keep my eye on this, as it is a rare opertunity for people of today to find something like that. Hopefully it hasn't been raided by people in the past.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
So much to uncover in Egypt. I'm waiting for the day they find the infamous Labyrinth. So much under the sand, there will be many new finds within the next few years that will change everything. I will definitely look further into this new and exciting find

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Excuse my ignorance but it looks like it was free standing under just a few feet of sand? Surely it should be in a building..................or (not knowing much!!) is this an entrance to a building? Just looks like a free standing stone sarcophagus??

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Did they discover a skeleton in the "The tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh King Sobekhotep". No skeleton equals no tomb equals something else not related to death. Or even biological evidence of there being a dead corpse decomposing in the tomb?

Some may say, not necessarily:

"The team also discovered the remnants of canopic vases traditionally used to preserve internal body organs, along with gold objects owned by the king."

Egyptian kings were special.

They asked their servants to cut out their internal organs and place them in a vase after they were dead. And then wrap them and place them in this pimped out marble, lime stone coffin. Don't forget to pull out his brains!

I would just be so curious to know what made them do this like that and document it on stone! For all to see now and forever! Like they were so sure of this. Why do it this way?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Exciting news op!!! Thanks for sharing! * & F
Of course this gets me looking for more info. This is what I found.

Abydos or Abdju is one of the oldest cities of ancient Egypt. The treasures & history they keep finding under the sifting sand. YouTube has many great videos of the finds in this area.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.livescience.com...

King Sobekhotep I
en.wikipedia.org...

They had previously found his name on a door jamb of a chapel in Abydos.
Here’s another article on the find from the Luxor Times
luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.nl...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

six67seven

VoidHawk

yeah, compared to the outside.

where is the top?

was he in there? did he have all his stuff?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

CaptainBeno
Excuse my ignorance but it looks like it was free standing under just a few feet of sand? Surely it should be in a building..................or (not knowing much!!) is this an entrance to a building? Just looks like a free standing stone sarcophagus??

great questions.

that thing is huge!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

edit on 7-1-2014 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-1-2014 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Here is another picture from the source

Apparently it was topped with a Pyramid at some point

I love it, a Pharaoh from the 13th Dynasty and then I just read about a Beer brewers tomb.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

Not sure what you mean by all of his stuff.

Sure beautiful stonework. What was the population of Egypt supposedly, in that era?

BTW, you have a pm

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

six67seven

VoidHawk

Yep, absolutely amazing!
When you look around the world at some of the stonework you cant help but wonder why? Creating edges like we see in these pics requires immense skill and a lot of very hard work. I just cant help but think we are missing some vital info on how they achieved such accuracy.
I dont buy into the "They did it with copper chisles and bashed it with rocks". There's something we dont know about!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Simply amazing!

I have long suspected that there are many more discoveries to be made under the sands in Egypt, and I am certain that if enough time and money were put into it, there would be thousands of new discoveries for years to come.

Here's hoping that this new discovery spurs some more research and a bigger injection of cash to fund more digs.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

When you look around the world at some of the stonework you cant help but wonder why? Creating edges like we see in these pics requires immense skill and a lot of very hard work. I just cant help but think
we are missing some vital info on how they achieved such accuracy.
I dont buy into the "They did it with copper chisles and bashed it with rocks". There's something we dont know about!

S&F Ladyteeny

A sochofogus huh..?
It's all in the details -

Why is it the inner edge is built as a 'cradle'
which would be for supporting an object..?

Over-sized with a support section..
Looks a little suspicious from my view

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
where is that Egyptian guy that always appears? Awwas or something like that is his name i think. I would like to ask him about his theory that the piramids are burial chambers, because in this find i can't see a piramid, and if infact its a tradition as all things, there should be one.

you are welcome

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Yes it is and according to this thread ---> 60 tons

top topics

join