It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know the brand of this telescope?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

A few days ago I've noticed this (second-hand) telescope for sale in the shopping window of an eyeglasses store in Germany, and I'd like to find out what brand it is. I've managed to look at it from pretty much every side of view, but I can't find a name on it. I couldn't ask in the store as it just closed. Nor do I live close to the store. As you can see on one of the pictures, there's a 8-cornered star depicted on the turning wheel, but I'm not sure if it's a logo. I've been looking around on the internet for telescope brands in the hopes of stumbling upon this 'possible logo', but without results. On the other side of the telescope (which I didn't manage to take a picture of) there's a small black input box with the words ''computer controlled'' on it. I suppose this is a vague description, but does any of you ATS experts by chance happen to know it's brand by looking at the pictures below?

Thanks in advance!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
please dont take this as me trying to derail this thread or anything

I am really curious not trying to start a argument

but why do you care what make it is?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWiseDwarf

The star logo on the bracket is the Meade logo-Looks like a Meade ETX scope to me-I hav e a similar model.
Not seen a grey tube though-maybe its had a different tube put on a Meade base...

Heree ya go:

edit on 6/1/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: yeah yeah

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yeah looks like a Meade ds-2130 from what I've found. Sorry no link...on my phone and haven't figured that part out yet.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A couple of things which have bothered me with my ETX scope-
1:The tripod isn't 100% stable in any wind,or with camera connected.
This can be rectified with a wind stop shield staked into the ground,but its slightly annoying.

(Although the tripod in your pics looks more flimsey than my model,sorry to say.)

2:The Go To mechanics are buggy as hell in my experience.
(thats the computer bit which aligns to planets and stars,so you can track them for astrophotography.)

The optics are good though,and you can get results with the tracking Go To job,with a bit of practice and persistence.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thank you so much! I've looked at a couple of Maede models now, and one of them indeed looks VERY similar to the one I've seen at the store, except for the color.

As for why I want to know about it; I'm a little bit interested in astronomy, but not too serious. Due to that I'm also bit of a scrooge
So who knows I might be able to find a reasonable telescope someday for a not too expensive pricetag.

Thanks again!

P.S.: Thanks for the additional information as well!
edit on 6-1-2014 by TheWiseDwarf because: extra comment

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Meade are good quality ones, and are part of the top telescope producers.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

luciddream

Meade are good quality ones, and are part of the top telescope producers.

Good as in Microsoft is good because they are the top OS producers. They are a decent consumer level telescope but there are far higher end telescopes if you are such an "audiophile".

You get what you pay for too. I have seen Meade branded telescopes in Costco that have plastic mirrors.

edit on 6-1-2014 by dainoyfb because: the voices told me to.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse

The star logo on the bracket is the Meade logo-Looks like a Meade ETX scope to me-I hav e a similar model.
Not seen a grey tube though-maybe its had a different tube put on a Meade base...

Heree ya go:

edit on 6/1/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: yeah yeah

Or maybe a knockoff.

top topics

join