It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had a familiar or dæmon , what would it be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
First of all, before someone jumps on me, let me say that I realize that a 'familiar' and a 'daemon' are two very different things. So give me a moment to explain (or enlighten those who don't yet know...)

Definition of a familiar -

A familiar spirit (alter ego, doppelgänger, personal demon, personal totem, spirit guide) is the double, the alter-ego, of an individual. It does not look like the individual concerned. Even though it may have an independent life of its own, it remains closely linked to the individual. The familiar spirit can be an animal (animal companion) or even a humanoid and were described as "clearly defined, three-dimensional… forms, vivid with colour and animated with movement and sound".

Most commonly in mythology and folk-lore, black cat, owls, or toad 'familiars' were associated with witches.

Separately, a dæmon is a meaningful representation of the Higher Self.

The ancient sages taught that every human being has a mortal lower self, called the eidolon and an immortal Higher Self (Soul) called the DAEMON. The eidolon is the embodied self, the physical body, and ego personality. The Daemon is the Spirit, the true Self, which is each person's spiritual connection to God. The Mysteries were designed to help initiates realize that one’s eidolon is a false self and that one’s true identity is the immortal Daemon.

Author Phillip Pullman combined both these concepts in his 'Dark Materials' Trilogy. If you haven't read these books and are interested in esoteric topics, I highly recommend them. On a surface level, they appear to be children's books...but they are, in fact, much deeper esoterically and philosophically than children's fiction.

Wikipedia explains a dæmon from Pullman's series as -

One distinctive aspect of Pullman's story comes from his concept of "dæmons". In the birth-universe of the story's protagonist Lyra Belacqua, a human individual's inner-self manifests itself throughout life as an animal-shaped "dæmon" that always stays near its human counterpart. Witches and some humans have entered areas where dæmons cannot physically enter; after suffering horrific separation-trauma, their dæmons can then move as far away from their humans as desired.

Dæmons usually only talk to their own associated humans, but they can communicate with other humans and with other dæmons autonomously. During the childhood of its associated human, a dæmon can change its shape at will, but with the onset of adolescence it settles into a single form. The final form reveals the person's true nature and personality, implying that these stabilise after adolescence.

So...I put forth the challenge to the board on what you feel your dæmon would be? Be aware that it is not whatever animal you feel the closest affinity or affection for, but rather which entity (not necessarily an animal) is a representation of your true Self.

For example, I grew up with a menagerie of domestic and exotic animals. In particular, I have always loved horses and tigers. But neither of these would be my dæmon. After a lot of careful thought and soul-searching, I feel my dæmon would best be represented by a serpent.

Mine is chosen for several reasons as it relates to my associations, both conscious and unconscious, with this animal. I was raised with snakes as symbol of respect and wisdom. I had them as pets even as a small child, including dangerous ones, yet felt no fear. They symbolize power, discernment, and rebirth. One who strives for knowledge of himself. Strong spirituality.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

My English Bulldog named Tonka.....

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Honestly, I am not into all that at all.

I always find it fun to hear people's opinions. Usually says more about how a person views themselves than anything else.

To answer your question, I would be an Oak Tree.

I just think they are beautiful and live a long time.

They are also able to live in pretty hot and cold conditions and generally make life better for other creatures who live in the vicinity(providing shade etc).

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
A Cheeky likkle spider monkey called Bobo

He would pinch things like girls bums and sweets

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have had a lot of cats, and some have/had been very familiar, not all of them but some few whom didn't mind the intrusion.

Crows have also been a big one for me, currently I tend a couple families, none familiar though I had one rescue one that was for a time.....I sent it away as I was young and full of it.

There for me is a special bond when an animal becomes a familiar, I have been able to call to from long distance and I believe receive images in the rare and dear ones.....a familiar becomes almost a child or prodigy in my experience.

I'm not going down the channeled spirits path.....been there done that learned a different path less destructive to others.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Turtle they carry the weight of the world on there back like Atlas.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Mine would have to be something from the canine family (large breed of dog, or a wolf).

Reasons:
1. I'm insanely loyal - once you've won me over, I'll come to your side & aid if you ever need it.

2. I have a loner personality, but I get along with others just fine (aka, I'm fine on my own or in a pack).

3. I love the snow, and outdoors.

4. Usually, I am to please people - very rarely do I intend to get them upset.

5. I hat cats, and love chasing squirrels up trees (errr, not
).

In real life, I already have a daemon of my own - my evil cat.
-fossilera

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
A snow leopard

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
A tiny chihuahua.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I don't know, not too sure what to think in the way of familiars.

I would really like to say a lion because they are the king of the beasts and i'm a leo so a little bit sold on lions already. Honestly though I don't dream of lions, I do however dream of vultures and have had two odd close encounters with them.

Im an opportunist so are vultures. So if I have to venture a guess i'd say vulture.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Well, let's see...I read the books, and really enjoyed them, the movies were okay too, but if I could choose my own daemon, it would probably be a silver wolf.

But knowing my luck I'd probably end up with a mountain goat.
(I'm a Capricorn.)

new topics

top topics

join