It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nautilus-X

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I just found this little proposed beauty.

Quite frankly I like it.

Would be a nice step and to me far better for interplanetary transportation than the Dragon capsules or other small capsule designs

What do you think? Dead end or another small step for mankind into our solar system?
Sources
Wiki
Popular science

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
dead end, they found after 2011 (date of the article) radiation in space is several times higher than previously though

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Indigent
dead end, they found after 2011 (date of the article) radiation in space is several times higher than previously though

Not stoping used for the Dragon capsul for possible use for mars missions. If that can be used or adapted then this can.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

are you talking about the reality show or real space endeavors, because the first only have the chance of putting corpses on mars, not living human beings

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

crazyewok

I just found this little proposed beauty.

Quite frankly I like it.

Would be a nice step and to me far better for interplanetary transportation than the Dragon capsules or other small capsule designs

What do you think? Dead end or another small step for mankind into our solar system?
Sources
Wiki
Popular science

Well, it looks like the rumored Bigelow Aerospace based spaceship idea had legs after all.

I'm all for it. Build two very large ones to be used as Aldrin Cyclers between here and Mars and now you have your first interplanetary infrastructure.

Any ideas as to cost? Until they are paid for they will remain vaporware.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Indigent

That's not true and you've misunderstood the research.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

JadeStar

Not much considering $3.7 Billion is the tag. Which is pretty good as you would get multiple uses out of it.

And yeah same thought as you, you would have a good little bus run from Mars/Moon and Earth for any colonies that are set up.
edit on 5-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by crazyewok

are you talking about the reality show or real space endeavors, because the first only have the chance of putting corpses on mars, not living human beings

Dragon capusle is possibly going to be used for NASA as well as Mars one.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

ok www.space.com...

radiation to a mars trip is just as bad as working in fukushima cleaning

fukushima.ans.org...

i misunderstood the research

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

crazyewok

JadeStar

Not much considering $3.7 Billion is the tag. Which is pretty good as you would get multiple uses out of it.

That's very reasonable. About the cost of two B-2 Spirit planes.

And yeah same thought as you, you would have a good little bus run from Mars/Moon and Earth for any colonies that are set up.

I see no reason why we can't do this if that is the true cost it's practically peanuts. The James Webb Space Telescope cost $8 billion. That's enough for two of these with money left over.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Indigent

ok www.space.com...

radiation to a mars trip is just as bad as working in fukushima cleaning

fukushima.ans.org...

i misunderstood the research

Yes. Because you misunderstand shielding and the differences in different types of ionizing radiation.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

shielding for radiation? as in 3 meter of water surrounding the ship? ok boss go to mars and let me know how it goes

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Indigent

shielding for radiation? as in 3 meter of water surrounding the ship? ok boss go to mars and let me know how it goes

Do you know anything about exposure time vs dosage? Or the difference between alpha, beta particles and x-rays and gamma rays?

I guess not.

Pity. It would have been an interesting intelligent conversation.

In summation radiation exposure and the amount of shielding needed on a trip to Mars varies by how long the trip is, which depends on your propulsion system. It also depends on when the trip would be as the solar flux varies in its X-ray levels depending on where in the Suns solar cycle it is.

Radiation in space has been known about for ages and people like Robert Zubrin have done a lot of research on it. This is nothing new nor unplanned for.

edit on 5-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

share the knowledge in shielding if you feel you know so much

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Indigent

share the knowledge in shielding if you feel you know so much

I'll let your fingers provide you with that education. It's not hard to google terms like "Mars trip radiation protection" etc.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

so you know nothing, ok

this is what your search terms provided

www.usatoday.com...

edition.cnn.com...

www.theguardian.com...

ouch
edit on 5-1-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

JadeStar

Do you know anything about exposure time vs dosage? Or the difference between alpha, beta particles and x-rays and gamma rays?

I guess not.

Pity. It would have been an interesting intelligent conversation.

In summation radiation exposure and the amount of shielding needed on a trip to Mars varies by how long the trip is, which depends on your propulsion system. It also depends on when the trip would be as the solar flux varies in its X-ray levels depending on where in the Suns solar cycle it is.

Radiation in space has been known about for ages and people like Robert Zubrin have done a lot of research on it. This is nothing new nor unplanned for.

edit on 5-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

^^what he said.

Its a shame people dont pay attension in there science classes.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Well, it looks like the rumored Bigelow Aerospace based spaceship idea had legs after all.

Is this the same guy who owns Skinwalker ranch, and has an alien grey picture on his website?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Plus its going off topic abit now.

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

zilebeliveunknown

Is this the same guy who owns Skinwalker ranch, and has an alien grey picture on his website?

Actually the ideas been developed with NASA useing bigalow parts.

Though that may be worse........

Probably end up 99% complete with $3.6 billion spent on itbefore its cancelled.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join