It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2014

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Try again should be working

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Rare Oarfish Spotted Alive And Prodded By An Oar Off The Coast Of Baja, Mexico
www.youtube.com...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

www.universityherald.com...

www.ecanadanow.com...

OARFISH MEXICO: RARE OARFISH STUNS TOURISTS IN MEXICO

"Baja, Mexico – Shedd Aquarium operates guided kayak tours of these pristine coastal water in this part of Mexico. On a regular guided kayak tour, patrons were filming in the sea life and ended up capturing the rarely seen oarfish, reports Discovery News.

They get their name owing to the slender appearance and lengthy bodies. There exist four types of oar fish and the largest of them can reach 36 feet in length.

They inhabit warm waters throughout the world, but live deep within the sea often times at depths of 3,000 feet. Whenever they are spotted, it is often as a floating carcass or debris washed up to shore. However, these fortunate tourists got to both see and record not one but two oarfish. However, some would disagree on the use of the term “fortunate” given that according to folklore, spotting an oarfish is an omen of an impending earthquake. Some scientists admit there may just be something to the tale, but thus far there is no science to back up the claim.

As far as fish go, they are the world’s largest fish in terms of having a skeleton made of bones. Whales and sharks can exceed the length of the giant oarfish, but their skeletons are made of cartilage. The oarfish subsist on a bottom feeder diet of shrimp, but they also eat small squid and zooplankton. Their flesh is not very appealing though. It has a jelly-like texture which not many people fancy.

As for the earthquake omen, some people claim to have seen the oarfish before a major earthquake struck Chile in 2010 registering 8.8 on the Richter scale. There was talk of an oarfish sighting just prior to the recent Los Angeles quake. It may be that the fish pick up on seismic activity at the depths they inhabit.

Massive Oarfish Spotted In Califonia

Last last year, Southern California was the location of yet, another rare occurrence this week. This time is strangely similar to the first. Just like the first occurrence a rare, serpent like fish has been found on the coast. Known as an oarfish, the creature is said to be the likely cause for many of the historic sea creature legends.An instructor from a nearby marine institute was snorkeling when she found the fish, the U-T San Diego Reports. She then enlisted about a dozen or so onlookers to help drag the 18 foot oarfish up onto the shore where the police were called.

Said to grow to reach lengths of 50 feet, the oarfish is noted as terrible swimmer. Scientists say it is likely that the fish died and was carried by the current, closer to the coastline where it was then spotted.

Because oarfish dive to depths of 3,000 feet or more, it is rare to see them this close to the shoreline. This is the second time in less than a week where the fish has been dragged on shore. The cause is not yet known, but marine biologist have taken tissue samples in hopes of finding the cause."

Rare oarfish sighting

Oarfish deaths in California revive earthquake myths
www.abc.net.au...

"Some Californians have been spooked by the rare appearance of oarfish washing up on the state's beaches in the past week.

The giant snake-like fish are linked to a number of myths, including one from Japan that says when it comes ashore, an earthquake will follow.

Illustration of an oarfish.
PHOTO: An illustration of an oarfish, which can grow up to 17 metres in length. (Catalina Island Marine Institute)
In the land of the San Andreas Fault, people perhaps listen more carefully to harbingers of doom.

The internet has been buzzing on the subject since not one, but two dead oarfish washed up on the southern California coast in less than a week.

But scientists are doubtful of any link to increased tectonic activity, and have even tested the fish for radiation after leaks at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant.

Oarfish have a crest running the length of their bodies and a skeleton of bone rather than cartilage common to fish species like sharks.

They can grow up to a length of 17 metres.

Because of their strange appearance, they are believed to have inspired legends of giant sea serpents.

It took a group of 15 adults to pull one fish's massive carcass up the beach."

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: info

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I love the "Scientists can't find any correlation.

I assume these are bottom dwellers. It is possible that they succumb to, say, methane oozing from the ocean floor or heat or anything that an impending EQ may release prior to going off.

I think "We have no idea, interesting legend" would be a better remark.

The powers that be do not want mass panic and will squash any story that may cause such. They don't really care if you die, tens of millions of people with no where to live is a nightmare scenario with few viable solutions. Just look at the Japanese displaced due to Fuky.

P

edit on 9/4/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Isnt this supposed to be in Cryptozoology? Did you know there is a fish that looks like human and has legs :3 And is all white

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Missmissie173

First - just an aside - your maps are informative but also beautiful. Really! I have an interior design business (albeit small and a sideline business) but I can see my clients that are into modern art digging on them. Have you ever considered selling them as art...just a thought.

Interesting that you say that as I had those thoughts about a year ago.
I was making a map with the coloured icons (of Japan) and mistakenly set the opacity of the background to 0% and was presented with the icons pattern on a white background. At the time I thought "hmmm, thats pretty cool" but never did anything with it.
There is a "footprint" left behind by the big earthquakes and swarms of smaller events, or even a time period (like the monthly region maps I do) and the shapes do look kind of arty in an abstract sort of way.
Most I do for the earthquakes are aqua/green as that is the most number of events that show in aftershock series (blue for M1 and green for M2), but some of the ones I did with series that have multiple big events separated by colour do look quite spectacular (like that Tarapaca one)
How much do you think people would pay for them?
They would have to be quite big I guess, like at least 1mx0.5m (3ftx1.5ft) to hang on the wall as a print, or bigger.
I did some of the last 4 years New Zealand events on this page "Earthquake Footprints" and thought I wonder if people who went through those events might like a momento to hang on the wall? (or maybe not)
I did a few others yesterday to see what came out, I like these two ........ (they may be abstract but they are a true image of the "earthquake footprints" shown in the titles)

I have tons of files that can be converted this way, will add some more to that page when I get time (rain forecast for the next 10 days!!) I remember a couple of 6's in Iran a few years back that left an awesome footprint............

*edit: I have spent so much time on those Canterbury quakes over the last 4 years that I can recognize each part of the series by its unique footprint.

edit on 04u989814 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

i believe the correct term would be " seismical's " "Muzzy's Seismical's"

not foot prints,,blah

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

"seismical" or "seismical's" does not have a definition?, but is acceptable in Scrabble and worth 13 points.
I think footprint best describes the patterns left behind myself.
also Footprints as in printed out on a sheet of paper ........... as to hang on a wall

A1 size 594 x 841 mm (23.4 x 33.1 in) size, $1000 each should do it! incl shipping in a tube worldwide
place your orders now!

edit on 04u989814 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Hi Muzzy:

I am new to this whole thing with ATS, but I think you need to U2U me? Is that right? These are beautiful and you need to copy right or watermark these asap. Life imitates art...please contact me. Too Cool...

MissMissie

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Missmissie173

Sent you a message. I'm not very good at those, I keep forgetting to check, just had a look and had 4 messages from the last few months. They used to have a highlighting link to show when you had a message, doesn't seem to do that now under the new ATS format.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
M4.1

- 10km SSW of Guthrie, Oklahoma
2014-04-10 07:33:57 UTC

Event Time

2014-04-10 07:33:57 UTC
2014-04-10 02:33:57 UTC-05:00 at epicenter
2014-04-10 00:33:57 UTC-07:00 system time
35.791°N 97.471°W depth=3.4km (2.1mi)

Nearby Cities

10km (6mi) SSW of Guthrie, Oklahoma
15km (9mi) N of Edmond, Oklahoma
32km (20mi) NNE of Warr Acres, Oklahoma
33km (21mi) NNE of Bethany, Oklahoma
36km (22mi) N of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

M 4.1 - 15km NNW of Challis, Idaho

DYFI? - IV
Time
2014-04-10 07:21:34 UTC-05:00
Depth
5.0km

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

You know, it is weird. If you look at the 30 day EQ map on USGS for 2.5 and over, the entire west end of the US in the mountain chains has shaken from Canada to Mexico, and all the way east to the end of the mountain chains.

I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Not big EQ's, but seems like a lot of them....
The mountains are shaking...

c(_)
*sip*
Maybe I am just paranoid, must be the coffee.
edit on 10-4-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

You better substitute a stiff Gin/Whiskey for that coffee before you look at what is really happening there ....
these are maps I did for a few months in 2013 USA, what your map shows is just a small % of all of them, or that has been a quiet 30 days what is showing on your USGS map

expect around 5000 earthquakes per month Continental USA

thanks for the post though! I needed a kick up the butt to get going again with those, last one I did was Oct 2013 (see dropdown tab at the top under ANSS/USA)
edit on 04000000999914 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

just had a look, I already have retrieved the data Nov2013-Feb2014, I'll do a massive update this afternoon.
edit on 04000000999914 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Hey, anything that helps keeping the information flowing!

Glad I could help.
Going to check that link now!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
M 6.1 - Larreynaga, Nicaragua
earthquake.usgs.gov...

M6.1 - 18km SE of Larreynaga, Nicaragua
2014-04-10 23:27:46 UTC

Event Time

2014-04-10 23:27:46 UTC
2014-04-10 17:27:46 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
2014-04-10 16:27:46 UTC-07:00 system time
12.539°N 86.470°W depth=10.0km (6.2mi)

Nearby Cities

18km (11mi) SE of Larreynaga, Nicaragua
31km (19mi) NNE of Nagarote, Nicaragua
31km (19mi) NE of La Paz Centro, Nicaragua
39km (24mi) S of El Sauce, Nicaragua
50km (31mi) NNW of Managua, Nicaragua

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: info from earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Now a 6.0 off coast of Chile

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

muzzy

also Footprints as in printed out on a sheet of paper ........... as to hang on a wall

....also correlates with foot wall and hanging wall...heck, it's all arty innit!

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I am beginning to wonder if that whole section of Chili is going to pop in a big way.

From the recent 8mag, down to the most recent 5 mag....there have been more then a few 5's in that area to the south in the last few months.

That would be a whole lot of kilometers to pop at once....Just thinking out loud

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

just to be different I'm going to call them footPrynt's
already created a Wordpress site, will work on marketing and opening a Swiss bank account .............

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Once you have looked at those you will no doubt recognize this footPrynt image

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join