It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Engraved Lighters from Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Last year,an auctions put up a lot of 282 Vietnam War-era Zippo lighters personalized by U.S. soldiers, sailors, and airmen during deployment. The collection was compiled by American artist Bradford Edwards over several years in the 1990s, in Vietnam. The collection sold for $35k June 21, 2012.

Here is a few I thought were cool. There's plenty more from the source. I thought they were facinating. I loved to look at them and then think about that soldier... Did he make it? What was his MOS... where has he gone, been? Things like that. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. If so, whats your favorite one?

I love to daydream about certain things, and this is a good one to dedicate some thought...

Source

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Soldiers, Sailors, airmen, and MARINES plz

I also wanted to add I agree to your sentiments about wondering about these faceless nameless warfighters.
edit on 27-12-2013 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Very interesting collection to see. I can imagine how much meaning some of those held for the men who carried them, not to mention where some of those have been and been through. Little items of history there, to be sure!

Thanks OP. Great share!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

My favorite was the one that said;

"A sucking chest wound is natures way of telling you, you've been ambushed."

My SOI Instructor back on Lejuene said that once during a class and remember it well, almost brings a proud tear to my eye.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Yeah brotherman, It's something I just cannot help. I see things like this and my mind starts to roll. LoL

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was wondering the same Wrabbit, I think it's a great was to spend a few minutes... Brain storming about the previous owners, their Experience!!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I carried a zippo through 4 tours as an infantryman same one too, thats why I find this so neat, maybe one day somehow mine will end up somewhere else and someone will wonder the same thing about me. Some really spooky message in a bottle/on a lighter thing going on

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Right on brother! That will probably happen. You will live on brotherman, long after you're gone. Amongst other things, I'm sure.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

C21H30O2I

Right on brother! That will probably happen. You will live on brotherman, long after you're gone. Amongst other things, I'm sure.

I hope so, That lighter lit tons of cigarettes and uh stuff in its day
haha now i almost feel compelled to get it engraved again with a little hammer (so I can put another nail in the coffin) on it. Mine is an orginal snap on collectors 3 of 400 on the back it says "Dont die smoking at night baby xoxo sarah"

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman about it now

I'm sure it has lite a few. If only it could talk huh? Probably bringing back some Good memories, Talking about it now.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Yeah it does, lol I actually have it packed in a foot locker with other memorabilia I was half tempted to dig it out and post a photo on here but dont feel like repacking the damned locker.

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   

If you ever do snap a shot, I'd be happy to check it out.. That's very awesome, nice story and piece of history. Keep it with you as long as you can.
Makes me think, I have my great grandfather's belt buckle, A long time now. and have wondered about that thing for hours sometimes... Good stuff!

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I just want to say for my deceased Green Beret Father, "Thank You"! I'm positive my father never did such a thing, but none the less...Thank you for your artistic contribution.

It means a lot to those that know and understand

PS
That's some serious artwork and it's awesome

edit on 12/28/13 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

TPENo1, it's my pleasure. Thanks. and Thanks for stopping in and posting. I appreciate it and I salute your father! thanks again.

top topics

join