It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Okay, I had a list of contest ideas, but it has fallen by the wayside.
Outside of Halloween, Christmas and Valentine's Day, I am at a loss.
I need your help

While I don't want to overdo the contests, it would be nice to have some ideas to have one or two others a year.
Ideas need to appeal to many members, and be T&C compliant.
The ideas must also be something that can be made into avatars rather easily.

Please feel free to star the idea that you may like....as it will help decide which ideas would be most popular.

No rush for this.....we're going to have another contest toward the end of January....most likely a Valentine theme.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Just a suggestion but there are many members of ATS who are devotees of Pagan and Nature based spiritual belief systems. Maybe we could have a Solstice or Equinox celebration avatar contest in order to keep it fair?

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Abstract Theme
Astrology Theme
Urban Theme
Humor Theme
Your Pets Theme
Art of Nature Theme
Paranormal Theme
Elements Theme
What Love Looks Like Theme
Patriotic Theme
Self Portrait Theme (for those brave enough)
Tech Theme
Fan Fiction Themes like - The Walking Dead, X-Men, V for Vendetta
Armageddon Theme
Your Favorite Animal Theme

Merry X-Mas!

ETA - Oops. Maybe I should have put them up independently for starring purposes. Sorry. I just got onto a train of thought and didn't stop!

CdT
edit on 24-12-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: more ideas

edit on 24-12-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: more

edit on 24-12-2013 by CirqueDeTruth because: comment

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Seeing as we're getting a new thread in a week or so, why not a new contest for a new banner or signature line for Avatar Creations 2014?

Another thought is a "your country" style of contest. Could really bring out the international element of ATS.
edit on Sat Dec 28 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I once suggested that if just like the writers forum you can earn this titles like Pro Artist and or Creative Artist or whatever title fits. after you won the contest and with the same rules applied as to writer.You earn your stripes and applauses?

And the contests would go like for example you get five pictures or more or less ,chosen by the moderator to work on within describes limits and on topic related. Then after the amount of time you show your work within the contest thread and vote..

For Example:

Weird Holiday Traditions Avatar

There's something to be said about the simple joys found in an old holiday tradition. Colorful lights on trees, stockings hung by the chimney with care, holiday gift tins filled with assorted yumminess... I get a festive feeling brewing in my belly every time I think about them. Bleh. All that brewing might actually be the result of some bad eggnog...

For this contest, we'd like you to create some strange holiday traditions avatars using Photoshop or other graphics software. They can be odd twists on ones you currently enjoy, or you can invent new traditions that may (or may not be) all that wise. Who says you can't hang your dirty boots by the fireplace instead of pretty stockings, and what's so wrong with decorating the tree with cane-shaped meat sticks? Ugh. I really don't feel so well.

edit on 0b46America/ChicagoTue, 24 Dec 2013 16:50:46 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 24 Dec 2013 16:50:46 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Children

Animals

Folk law, (elves, fairies, goblins)

Dragons and Unicorns (They need their own space)

Undersea creatures

Cute and cuddly

Zombies, werewolves and thingies that drink your blood

Insect Avatars

P

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
cats wearing wigs.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think it was Dolluka that had the idea of coming up with a picture that the members then do photomanipulations on. Kind of along the lines of the whole image macro type of idea, except less funny more artsy.

You could throw up a single image, or a group of images (and a vote).

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

So, everyone starts with the same basic image...and then "contestants" do their own majic?

If that is what you are saying, we could run that as a separate contest....kind of a contest to show skills, rather than a regular avatar/background theme contest.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

That is correct.

I think the way it will end up working is that ideas will end up being exchanged quite a bit as entrants detail what they did tot he image.

posted on Dec, 25 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

We'll definitely being doing a thread/contest/workshop for that then....

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

That does sound really cool! I would enjoy that.

Some contests might leave some people out but I also think we could do contests that are for a particular skill, like dolluka (I think this is their name) who does beautiful free-hand style work in photoshop using the pen tool etc.

We could have a freehand contest...or others along that lines too... like abstract art, or cartoon, or 3D.
edit on 26-12-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

How about these:

-St.Patrick's Day
-Spring
-Summer
-Fall
-Fantasy (basically anything mystical)
-Famous Movies
-Avatars that would suit members/mods
-Color themed

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I think a general art competition like the writing competition would be awesome as there is so many talented artists on ATS I think it would G'rrrrrrrrrEAT!

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I'm not sure what you mean?
All the entries would need to be original artwork?

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Why not all the writing threads are original writings and are rated by flags, correct? To mitigate senstional title for sake of equality why not title of submitted piece be 'username'[atsart14] and just submit a piece with a short explanation of what it is they created. This whole site thrives solely on user generated content and there is so many artists on this site that are extremely talented, I met (online met) quite a few ppl on ATS just because of their art work. For the longest time I never even knew there was a writing forum or a member art forum. I discovered it actually looking for a Mayan art thread and it was a link in samaru or whatever it is to a member art link, then found the writers forum and these both are some of my favorite parts of the internet. Now I try to contribute there or give re-enforcement to those that post there as well. Why not an artist banner there are so many that deserve one on this site that have also contributed so much, members Mr.Mask comes to mind in ATS comics as well as Abeverage. I love this site and this community and would love to participate or watch such a trend occur here as there is much news and theories to be read everyday our community also brings balance by talented members, came here for information and I found an artist community, I am sure I am not alone.

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Why not all the writing threads are original writings and are rated by flags, correct?

Flags are worth 2 points, stars are worth 1 point. Seems to work well.

P

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Ive competed before hardly no one read it, (maybe you should read it?now comp is over) I think should be based on flags alone member name and atsart with year in trail to make it equal. there will always be a bias as some members have better means to advertise like politicians squashing competition. I think there should be judges that mod it but I cannot make that call, If I had millions of stars per post or had the time for this or that blah blah I spend on average a finished work more then 120-300 hours a painting I would promise a single gold star member poster never spent that amount of time writing an ATS thread. I would post a picture with links to my home address if they wanted proof. There is a bias, but there is more talent, it brings balance here like I said before writers and artists on ats became rapidly two of my favorite spots on the internet outside ats

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

The ability to give both a flag and a star gives the judges, that is us, the ability to give

A star 1 point
A flag 2 points or
A star and a flag 3 points.

If you really love it you give 3 points.

Some entries you may wish to only give 1 point.

I don't think art as practiced here is any more or less difficult than art practiced by writing. They just use different canvasses, colors and brushes.

P

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I disagree, I have a book I have been working on for the latter portion of 5 years, no one would read it when there is other writing portions as is I can spend hundreds of hours on a painting where as other people do it differently I made this point with a mod member earlier this year and it was agreed and they changed something because of the bias system. to be honest all submissions in my opinion should be linked into a solo thread without commentary and then starred like a regular art show

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join