It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic heat: Boycotting Sochi would be ‘mean’, Swiss president says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The topic of peoples sexuality appears to be running hot and heavy, please excuse the pun. Jumping away from duck dynasty, dancing Alabama drag queens in Christmas parades it looks like the Sochi Olympics are still under scrutiny because of Putin's anti gay stance.

Olympic heat: Boycotting Sochi would be ‘mean’, Swiss president says amid hype

Swiss President Ueli Maurer says boycotting the Sochi Olympics would be “mean.” His comments come as the boycott reaches a critical mass in the media. “If Russia has a different attitude towards homosexuality that doesn’t suit me, then I have to accept that,” he said. “Well, we wouldn’t be able to go anywhere anymore, right? Not to any Islamic country, because we have other legal concepts, and not to the United States because of the death penalty.”

Among the politicians who reportedly are not planning to visit the Games are German President Joachim Gauck and Chancellor Angela Merkel, British PM David Cameron, US President Barack Obama and Vice-President Joe Biden, and Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite.

Quite frankly I'm mixed on this. Boycotting the Winter Olympics because of ideology seems wrong to me. I agree with the Swiss president that boycotting is a limiting idea. What do you think ATS?
edit on 259pm2222pm112013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The political agendas of various factions are now taking precedence over the sports competitions. To me the points have all been made and we now need to focus on what the games are about. I know the political stuff, but I would like to know more about the various athletes. I'm looking forward to the games, but if they get political once under way, I will switch the channel.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The whole point of the Olympic games is to bring people with different ideas together ....

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
The whole point of the Olympic games is to bring people with different ideas together ....

Apparently that idea is becoming completely lost to many of our leaders. Not surprised as most of them now seem completely consumed with politics rather than leadership.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Bassago

OccamsRazor04

Apparently that idea is becoming completely lost to many of our leaders. Not surprised as most of them now seem completely consumed with politics rather than leadership.

Leadership, what's that? I vaguely remember the word, but pretty sure it's archaic and no longer in use.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Nothing but political grandstanding and utter childishness going on.
Oooh! Those nasty Russians not allowing Gays to hold "pride" parades and keeping "alternative" lifestyles out of the school teaching curriculum!

They don't seem to have a problem cosying up to and visiting a few oppressive regimes in the Middle East and selling them armaments used to keep the population oppressed though. That's all just fine and dandy!

top topics

join