It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama: Kids ‘owe’ it to their moms to enroll in Obamacare

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

littled16
reply to post by jimmyx

Do you even have grown children in their 20s? I have 2 and neither can afford health coverage through the ACA exchanges but do not qualify for help from Medicaid or anything else. I'd much rather help my grown kids with their medical expenses than for them to have to choose between paying for overpriced health insurance or paying their rent and buying groceries. Have you even checked out the deductibles for the ACA exchanges? Go read some more and come back later...

actually, I has a 26 year old son, and he has his own coverage from his employer. he was under our insurance until last year, which was part of the ACA. I will say that I have not had the same experience as you, so I would be talking about something I have not researched. I've read that there is a simple catastrophic policy for younger adults, and it is inexpensive, and as the name implies it helps pay for massive hospital bills, in case of an auto accident, or other serious accidents....in your case it would seem prudent for you or them (if they are of age) to actually call the help line to get a clearer picture of what is available...if it was up to me, single payer would be the way to go, just like all the European countries, Japan, Australia, and all the rest of the industrialized countries.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Yes, there are some low cost policies under the program but the deductibles are so outrageous that basically you are paying just for the privilege of being able to claim you have coverage. The deductibles for coverage that they could afford were upwards of $10-20K. Unless you have emergency surgery or chemo or something comparable so that your bills are over the deductible amount the coverage pays almost absolutely nothing. Young adults cannot afford to be forced to pay for something that covers nothing except for preventing you from paying a tax penalty for not having it. It is hard enough just to eke by.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I'm 30 and broke. There is no way I can afford health insurance and I do not qualify for medicare. I will not be purchasing health insurance. Even if I were to buy the minimum coverage 'required' it would essentially be me giving the insurance company money and getting nothing in return. I would still have to pay out of pocket for any health care related expenses.

What is the point of buying health insurance when it will not even cover the most basic health care costs?

The problem in the US is health care has become a for profit industry, and profits are placed over one's health care. Obamacare does nothing to change this and essentially is a gift to the health insurance industry because is forces people to pay the health insurance industry and get very little if anything in return.

edit on 21-12-2013 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is the same game they play with me at the doctor's office:

Nurse: Have you had your flu shot this year? Have you updated your vaccinations?

Me: Nope.

Nurse: Why not?

Me: Because I don't want to.

Nurse: If you get the flu, you'll give it to your children.

Me: I haven't had the flu since 2000.

Nurse: Well, you never know when you'll get it again.

Me: True, but I still don't want the flu shot.

Nurse: okay, I'll make a note of that here that you are not concerned about it.

Me: Okay.

Nurse: I sure hope your good luck holds out and that your children won't catch it from you.

This is the conversation I had 4 months ago while having a suspicious mole on my back checked out.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

jimmyx
oh...oh...I get it now...I'm a little slow on the uptick...this is just another Obama rant abut nothing of importance for you right-wingers...sorry...carry on....

I'm not a right winger. It's wrong to guilt people using their own children. It's a mind game that I don't appreciate, and insulting to my intelligence.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I find it disgusting that capitalism uses children to advertise and sell products. I think very few people realize that it is only emotional play being made toward a person.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

roadgravel
I find it disgusting that capitalism uses children to advertise and sell products. I think very few people realize that it is only emotional play being made toward a person.

The emotional play is being used because no one who thinks logically supports it. It is sad, as an American I want affordable quality health care and it appears we will not have that this decade.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jrod

The emotional play is being used because no one who thinks logically supports it. It is sad, as an American I want affordable quality health care and it appears we will not have that this decade.

It is never going to be because it has become a business for making high profits.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
They have gay and lesbian commercials for obamacare.
They say obamacare gives mothers peace of mind (but, apparently not fathers).
I'm going to go out on a very short, stout limb and take a guess.

By the next election there will be commercials saying that if you don't have obamacare then you're a racist.
Just wait and see.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
YO Michelle ?

Get your story straight please.

First you and your husband, and your party tell me government is the mommy and daddy of my kids.

Now your sitting there saying 'do it for mom!'.

As most people can attest to most of us don't listen to mom or dad or the would be 'mommy state'.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

“You know, young people aren’t just living out there on their own. If they get sick and can’t afford it, who’s going to have to come in and clean up that financial mess but the parents and grandparents who care about them?”

It's called being a responsible adult. That is why the conservatives on this site hate it so much. It interferes with their victim mentality to have someone insist that they take responsibility for their own healthcare. That or it's just Obama Derangement Syndrome.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

DrEugeneFixer
reply to post by snarky412

“You know, young people aren’t just living out there on their own. If they get sick and can’t afford it, who’s going to have to come in and clean up that financial mess but the parents and grandparents who care about them?”

It's called being a responsible adult. That is why the conservatives on this site hate it so much. It interferes with their victim mentality to have someone insist that they take responsibility for their own healthcare. That or it's just Obama Derangement Syndrome.

And here's the truth of it from the son of a nurse, and soon to be father. Take the tax penalty.

My wife has insurance, I'd like to get insurance, we cannot afford it with both of us working full time, both of us making half again or more over minimum wage. Shoot, her coverage is going up over $100 a month.The price set before the pregnancy. . .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join