It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social experiment on peoples response to Bullying [video]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Bullying is a hot topic among educators, psychologist, sociologist, and social anthropologists; research
is being conducted at a federal and local levels on how to confront the problem.
My question is....is it a problem or just the manifestation of human nature and our current environment of continued division and fear in America.
imo, bullying is epidemic in schools, the street and in the home. God help us!
Some of the responses to bullying made me proud to be an American. Others........not so much!

liftbump.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 19-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
that's why I am a Bjj practitioner

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
When I was younger, I stepped between a bully, and his victim. I paid a price for doing that. I also once stepped between a guy and his girlfriend, because he was about to hit her a second time. I paid a price for that. In both cases, I would do exactly what I did again, even knowing the price for doing it.

The problem is, most people won't. They're afraid to get involved. They have learned getting involved can lead to problems for them, and their families too in some cases. Is that an excuse? No. But it is a reason. When we as a people, start standing behind those who will take a stand against wrong. There will be more and more who will dare take a stand. Until then, most won't get involved.

It's a sad statement on our society, but that's the way it is.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm relatively young (almost 30), and honestly in my opinion, the problem lies in the way kids are conditioned from grade school up. I, for one, am non-confrontational by nature.HOWEVER, (and that is a massive HOWEVER), I was also raised with the old-school line of thinking: "Son, you never start a fight. But if you find yourself in the middle of one, end it."

I apply that same school of thought when I'm witnessing people being treated unfairly as well. Yet nowadays, kids are suspended from school for even pretending to be violent playfully. So how can you tell someone one minute "ALL VIOLENCE IS TERRIBLE", and the next minute "STAND UP FOR YOURSELF IF YOU'RE BEING BULLIED". It's a gigantic, catch 22 if you ask me. Whatever happened to people being able to settle their disputes mono a mono?

One CLEAR example I can give, happened to a friend of mine while we were in high school. A bully decided to start some sh!t with a friend of mine and myself. Particularly, my friend was in this guy's sights. It escalated to the point where we wound up under the stairwell of our school, and a fight was about the break out. I kept trying to separate the two of them, but eventually it came to throwing fists. Sure enough, a school teacher found them fighting and both of them ended up suspended.

What did this teach us? That if you start a fight, you're going to get in trouble. That if you are in a fight, you're going to get in trouble. That if you defend yourself, and are seen doing so, you're still going to get in trouble.

It's a twisted world we live in, in some regards, and it saddens me to think of what kids growing up are going to be dealing with 10-15 years from now...

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I watched the first experiment and it seemed to be a guy accusing another of stealing something from him, (he wants his paper)not the norm for a bullying thing I would respond to. This looked more like a fight between friends not a bully, they did it all wrong to get a response IMO.

Also the guy saying ..stop stop...did not sound like he meant it, it would be hard to think he was feeling afraid.

I watched the rest, the persons who did step in seem very planted and unreal to me. I would like to see someone to do a more realistic test of this kind.

Twice in my life I stepped in once as a small 11 year old girl I went up against two teen boys maybe 16-17 picking on a smaller boy in the park. They actually ran away when I came between them and the kid and told them to stop.

Another time it was three girls on one and I saw it as i walked home from school, they were all my age, I actually had to throw a punch and hit one of the girls in the nose. The others ran HaHa! I was not a tough looking girl but when i meant something it was clear i meant to the finish!
edit on 19-12-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join