It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fischer-Tropsch Reaction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I did a benchscale conversion of coal to 95% ethanol at 350 degrees F simply by converting anthracite to H2, CO and CO2 gases. These three gases are led through a compressor continuously over MbOx catalysts spiked with Li metal traces and I got this Ethanol with traces of simple amines in high yield . The simple design of apparati demands stringent safety ,but I had no fires and no Hydrogen gas leaks. I theorize that low boiling alkanes can be gotton just with iron filings as catalyst at 350 degrees F and (I forgot how much high pressure to use with the compressor).
What do you think? The Li metal in the Molybdenum catalyst was used to minimize ether formation in this Fischer-Tropsch Reaction. Can the design of the reactor unit for this reaction be patented? This was a government research grant and nothing's been done to convert our coal fields in Kentucky to Ethanol or Gasoline. What do you think?This research was done at the Chem Eng. Dept of the University of Delaware,Newark, DE (in a post Doctoral Res Position ,1981).

new topics

join