It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multivitamin researchers say "case is closed" after studies find no health benefits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Blimey!STOP MUNCHING TURMERIC!

I totally neglected to say:It increases free testosterone(EVEN IN WOMEN!) and reduces estrogen
It has other astonishing beneficial effects(google it,it's an eye-opener)*BUT*should you be female I would advise you to consider eating edamame,cinnamon and fennel to counteract hairy chest and grunty voice syndrome.I found this that may help some.

GUYS!STOP EATING CINNAMON!Or you may start to favour pink merino sweaters and frilly boxer-shorts.

I've managed to give myself liver poisoning three times now due to over-enthusiastic pro-hormone use with Turmeric-once just with Turmeric.(@20grams daily)

edit on 18-12-2013 by Ericthedoubter because: Liver poisoning!Oh,yes,I've managed it.etc.

edit on 18-12-2013 by Ericthedoubter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If you have a healthy body and you depend on multivitamin because you skip meal will in the long run make your system weak.

Multivitamin is good when you are weak or sick or healing.

I don't trust the once a day vitamin... 70% is down the drain.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The B and C vitamins are water soluble, thus you'll be 'pissing them down the drain' whether they're from food or pills.

They actually do something while they're running around in your system, heading for your kidneys and bladder, y'know...

As far as these bogus studies go, notice how they never seem to mention that X percent of prescribed pills are ineffective? Or that X percent of doctors kill a patient a year (at least) by virtue of drug interactions? Or that your doctor may have killed more people in his lifetime than Jack the Ripper?

Or that you should save all that money you spent on Merck and Roche et al and instead buy vegetables?

I thought not.

I demand the human right to decide what I ingest, what I jab into my arm, and what to avoid ingesting or jabbing.

If I'm not going to be allowed to be right, or wrong, depending, well then at least stop waving your F'ing stupid flag in my face and telling me how free I am.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I demand the human right to decide what I ingest, what I jab into my arm, and what to avoid ingesting or jabbing.

Ok.
You have the right to consume as many multivits as you wish.
Happy? Or is it that you just resent the implication that there's not really much point?

While I agree that people should be able to inject anything they wish (evolution in action) there are problems when the problems they incur by doing so start to interfere with me and mine.

edit on 12/20/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

signalfire
The B and C vitamins are water soluble, thus you'll be 'pissing them down the drain' whether they're from food or pills.

They actually do something while they're running around in your system, heading for your kidneys and bladder, y'know...

As far as these bogus studies go, notice how they never seem to mention that X percent of prescribed pills are ineffective? Or that X percent of doctors kill a patient a year (at least) by virtue of drug interactions? Or that your doctor may have killed more people in his lifetime than Jack the Ripper?

Or that you should save all that money you spent on Merck and Roche et al and instead buy vegetables?

I thought not.

If I'm not going to be allowed to be right, or wrong, depending, well then at least stop waving your F'ing stupid flag in my face and telling me how free I am.

You're correct.
They don't mention about the efficacy of pharmaceuticals in a vitamin study, no.

They do however mention this in their respective clinical trials etc.
Also all of these figures about how safe your doctor is etc are freely available.
Else you wouldn't be writing about them would you?

What's rarely mentioned on places like this though are the numbers of people who are saved by medicine. Or who have had their lives improved or extended.
I bet you this number far eclipses the ones you're banging on about. By several factors of 10.
Did you forget that part?
Certain types of people always forget that part.

What really IS difficult to find out though is the number of people who are killed by self-prescribing.
Latest estimates are showing a marked increase in this year upon year.
I wonder why this is happening?

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Here is an article from the Oregon State University that contradicts the results. It states that most people aren't healthy and that vitamins may help these people. Note it talks about micronutrients, elements that are depleted in commercial soils and fertilizers do not contain these nutrients many times.

www.sciencedaily.com...

Many of the problems we have today are from deficiencies or imbalances in microminerals and also imbalances in electrolytes in the body. Most multivitamins don't contain adequate magnesium in them which causes a problem if the person is deficient in magnesium. Soaps and shampoos often contain magnesium though, but not all do. Our skin can take magnesium and other minerals out of water. That can help us with this problem. That is if it is in the water, soft water has the magnesium and calcium removed. Soft water also contains more sodium. This is good for some but a problem for others. The people in the FDA must think everyone has water softeners in their home and are getting sodium from the water. Where we are, there is not much sodium in our water unless you soften it. Only a fool would spend money to soften their water in my thoughts, I would rather just add a little salt to my food.

While I agree that we do not need a multivitamin every day, maybe only a couple times a week, I feel that the food that is being touted as nutritious is really not. Phytic acids and phytates bind the minerals. Albumin in egg whites or excessive pectin can cause problems. This chemistry is normal and sometimes essential to consume to rid our body of overloads. Eat these things when you feel like it, the body has cravings. If you are craving chocolate you may be craving copper to neutralize the Glutamines or glutamates from gluten consumption. You see there is a lot of chemistry out there that needs to be considered, boosting copper boosts the enzymes that cause glutamates to be taken apart and can help to calm us. Too much copper is no good though, it creates a no energy situation and destroys our ability to make long term memories or antigens against disease, as glutamates are needed for both.

Evidently the people doing the research in the article this thread is about haven't got a clue about reality. I agree that some multivitamins are a waste of money and often harmful if they further the imbalance but to state they are bad for everyone is insane. A healthy individual that can afford to buy organic foods and local produce probably does not need to supplement..that is if the soils the organic or local produce are grown on aren't burnt out from over farming. The department of agriculture should look at repairing these soils properly. They need to be aware that we need micronutrients in our diet, it is not only about macronutrients.

posted on Dec, 31 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Articles and news reports like this make me steaming mad!! Because the sheeple will buy into it.

But the clearer heads will prevail!!

Flawed Research Used to Attack Multivitamin Supplements

Two flawed studies, a rehashed review, and an editorial published in the December 17th issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine have attempted to discredit the value of multivitamin supplements.1-3

Both of the studies were plagued by grievous methodological flaws.

Nevertheless, mainstream sources are using these reprehensible studies to undermine dietary supplements.

The article does an excellent job in pulling the ACTUAL FACTS of the studies and goes on further to explain the flaws:

Poor Adherence Criteria

Subjects in the first study were considered to have adhered to their multivitamin regimen appropriately if they took it just two-thirds of the time. In other words, even subjects who skipped their multivitamin 4 months out of the year were deemed "adherent" to the intervention.

Another huge flaw in the studies.... which I have found to be a large problem with other medical studies on vitamins, of which I have done over a year of studying in depth... is over and over again, they use TOO LOW of a dosage. I've read many so called studies on Vitamin C. They label them mega doses, but they are only using 2,000 - 3,000 mgs in their studies. This is NOT a mega does. A mega dose would be 10,000 mg+. So the studies don't produce the results they are looking for because they don't use a high enough dose.

So when you hear the reports that high doses (1,000 mgs) don't cure the cold and flu... well they are right in a sense... BUT it's because you need 5,000 - 10,000 mgs (minimum) per day to cure the cold and flu!!!!!!

Low-Potency Multivitamin

The multivitamin utilized in this study contained woefully inadequate nutrient concentrations. For example, the formula contained only 60 mg of vitamin C, 25 mcg of vitamin B12, and 20 mcg of selenium.

Health-conscious people know that these abysmally small nutrient doses are very unlikely to deliver any considerable health benefits. Even the researchers state a limitation of their study is "[the] doses of vitamins may be too low…"

Oohhh and it gets better! They set the bar too high for their expected favorable result. This whole study was designed to FAIL!

Absurd Efficacy Assumptions

A major part of study design involves defining effect thresholds that can be statistically elucidated based upon the number of subjects and trial duration. In this study, the authors designed the trial to detect a 25% reduction in cardiovascular risk. In other words, for this trial to conclude that multivitamins provide cardiovascular benefit, the intervention would have had to eliminate 1 in 4 cardiovascular event outcomes.

By setting the bar for efficacy so high, this study was set up to conclude that multivitamins would provide no benefit from the outset.

Please take time to read the source link for the full article as there is much more information there, also backed up by medical studies and source links.

Source

ETA: And you will need to eat 28 oranges per day to get enough Vitamin C in your diet. If you think you can get enough Vitamin C in your daily diet through food... you are sadly mistaken. And I highly suggest you read the Vitamin C thread in my signature.

Happy New Year everyone - and many years of good and improving health to all!
edit on 31-12-2013 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The only reason I'm careful about not taking too many multivitamins is I have epilepsy with some kind of weird myoclonic seizures that serve as the aura for the grand mals. None of these seizures are pleasant (the myoclonics are accompanied by an unpleasant fear sensation).

Anyway, sometimes if I take too many vitamins it seems to make the seizures worse. Maybe it's coincidence but I don't like to take chances. At any rate, my diet has never been stellar so I do take them sometimes. I think it's good for people with a poor diet to supplement.

Sounds like someone is just trying to undermine the natural health industry. Granted, there's a lot of snake oil stuff out there but I don't think multivitamins are bad.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join