It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Aurora Borealis over Northern Norway!

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hi all

I would like to share this with you all, amazingly strong and magnificent aurora borealis over the nothern part of norway. It is much stronger than usual

www.nrk.no...

Hope you all enjoy

Love and light
SatNam

edit on 14/12/2013 by eriathwen because: Forgot to add the link

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Stunning, it's something I need to see with my own eyes.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by eriathwen

Simply amazing. I always love seeing the Aurora, reminds me of the beauty and power of the nature.

I think this video made by Tesophotography also suits the thread well

edit on 14-12-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Gorgeous! My ancestors came from Norway, I always enjoy seeing photos from there.

S & F!

Off to check the Sunweather sites; we must be having a really strong solar storm.

Edited to add, Yup: spaceweather
edit on 0620412pmSaturdayf20Sat, 14 Dec 2013 16:20:06 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I always wondered, is it a crap shoot if you go on vacation to a part of the world that has "northern lights" type shows? Is there a time of year for peak northern lights? I would love to go see this one day, it's on my bucket list, but I wonder if it's just the luck of the draw when you're there... Or is it probably smart to schedule a vacation right after the sun starts acting up creating solar-like storms?

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Hi

Yes it's topp season for Aurora Borealis at this time of the year

Love and light
SatNam

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I love Aurora Borealis and and enjoy them every winter.. i live very close the artic circle

They are so beautiful

There is also wonderful pictures and panoramas
pictures

Actually i wish there would be northern lights when its christmas..

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

jhn7537
I always wondered, is it a crap shoot if you go on vacation to a part of the world that has "northern lights" type shows? Is there a time of year for peak northern lights? I would love to go see this one day, it's on my bucket list, but I wonder if it's just the luck of the draw when you're there... Or is it probably smart to schedule a vacation right after the sun starts acting up creating solar-like storms?

Yo Jhn, you're in Chicago, right? You just need to go spend a weekend in the nothwoods of Wisconsin or the UP. Best time is in the late summer or fall, or in the spring. I'd say in September. But, yeah, your best bet would be to head up there after you see one of those solar storm warnings.

I saw the most spectacular northern lights once when I was a kid and I've never seen anything like it since. I even remember the date because at first, being a freshman in high school, I wasn't even sure it really was northern lights. It was September 11, 1985. The lights were of all different colors from green, blue, red, and they were all dancing in motion from one end of the sky to the other. I was in Northwest WI. The lights were from the northern horizon all the way to the southern horizon and all meeting in a cone right above me. I went into the house and turned on the radio and the DJ out of Duluth, MN was talking about it and telling his listeners to get outside and check it out. It truly was amazing and I've always hoped to see them that bright again but I never have. Over the years, I've searched on the web for that date to correlate with any significant strong solar storms and I've never seen any mention of that date.

Anyways, just drive about four hours north of Chicago the next time you see one of those solar flares shoot out towards the good ole Earth, and you'll probably catch a pretty nice show.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Nice, I saw it once over in Østfold. It was faint, but there. It was also the first time I have experienced it.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

That's beautiful, thank you.

I saw this show on the weather channel that talked about them, and how they come from the sun. They said its one way to see how our little (seemingly isolated world) interacts with the vastness of space, and the universe. Viewing those images through that lens makes them all the more awesome: these are photographs of earth interacting with vast cosmic forces!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Fake. Obviously.
Nothing real could be that pretty.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah you wish

Love and light
SatNam

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Hey Rezlooper, yes I'm in Chicago... That's a great idea, not sure why I didn't think about that. I can get up to the UP (driving) in 6-8 hours depending on traffic. I'm going to have to make a vacation out of it. Great idea, thanks!

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Stunning, it's something I need to see with my own eyes.

Depends on where you live...just go to the local coffee shop and buy northern lights, smoke it and you will see them

Just joking
The real northern lights on the other hand...It truly must be amazing thing to see.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
How utterly beautiful!

I am blessed as being one of the few people who has seen the aurora as far south as northern England. It was very faint and was probably about 40 years ago but the image was burned into my mind. S+F.

posted on Dec, 15 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Some info on aurora frequencies annually: Auroras Now!-website (Finnish meteorological institute)

new topics

top topics

join