It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela- The world pays tribute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I have just watched the tribute to the life of Nelson Mandela broadcasted from Johannesburg ,South Africa which started about 5am my time. Did anyone else catch any of it live?
There were some very brilliant moving speeches from various leaders of the world. Over 100 leaders were in attendance, and some of the seating arrangements led to raised eyebrows. Desmond Tutu seated by Kissinger,and representatives of the middle east seated two rows directly behind George Bush.
By far, I was touched most of all by the words spoken by his grandchildren, who seem to want to to be sure his legacy is carried on.
I was glued to it, till Obama took the stage. Baffled was I at the cheers of the roaring crowd as he spoke. Sickened at the hypocrisy of his speech. Pointing fingers at other leaders in attendance saying that they follow the ways of Madiba but do not, yet not pointing the finger at himself. And worse...a standing ovation! Good god give his speech writer a raise cause he can sure make the devil look angelic. Obama should run for South Africa cause they sure love him there. Unbelievable. If anyone finds the speech on youtube please post it...with a bucket.
Regardless, it was an amazing turnout of people to send off one of the greatest people imho to live in our time.
Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
President Obama shaking hands with Cuban President Raul Castro.
There is hope for us all

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

RIP Mandela.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Im so bored with this Mandela coverage.

Cant even turn on the TV without Mandela Mandela Mandela.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

alldaylong
President Obama shaking hands with Cuban President Raul Castro.
There is hope for us all

All for show...pffft.

Side note- Even though I was checking the boards all morning to see if this was being covered, I somehow missed Gemwolf's thread. Stupid smartphone doesn't show me all the new threads, methinks.
Apologies Gem.
Carry on.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yeah, I watched the whole thing. It was a great moment, he was a man that could bring nations together even in his death. Bet nobody throught they'd ever see Obama and Castro shake hands.

I doubt the world will ever see a celebration of a man's life such as this one. It was quite amazing.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Monkeygod333
Yeah, I watched the whole thing. It was a great moment, he was a man that could bring nations together even in his death. Bet nobody throught they'd ever see Obama and Castro shake hands.

I doubt the world will ever see a celebration of a man's life such as this one. It was quite amazing.

The only other State Funeral i can recall on this scale was that of Sir Winston Churchill in 1965. At that time there were around 160 countries in The World, and 110 Heads Of State attended.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Obama does selfie

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
Obama does selfie

Well now, that's in poor taste isn't it? Doesn't look like the Mrs. approves either.

Found the President's speech. Everybody got a bucket handy?

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Awkward - US President Obama cheered (along with former SA Presidents De Klerk and Mbeki) while President Zuma was booed by crowds at the Mandela memorial.

See also: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10-12-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

One of the few times I agree with Rush.

What a crock of selfserving media PR, BS.

Where were all those people when Mandela was being tortured and rotting in a South African prison.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

olaru12
Where were all those people when Mandela was being tortured and rotting in a South African prison.

I think Obama may have been in Kindergarten

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

ha, look at the last one, although I am not sure of the sequence.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Well stay on ATS then and don't go onto MSM!?

The trend will go on and on for a couple of weeks (until the 10 year anniversary of Nelson Mandelas death), but there will be another shooting/black on white or white on black or white on white or black on black... pink, green, or whatever... incident or a politician will come out with something that many members will disagree with, a bombing will happen in somewhere in the world... (a whole skip full of things will happen...) and spam out the whole of ATS with their political views... I believe that someone has already started a thread about how they disagree with Obamas speech!!! (HOW BLUMMING SAD!...

AND... to be quite honest who else apart from some US members really blumming care about the above mentioned?

Shame though... this man changed the lives of millions of people but it is so sad to observe that some people still find negative things to say about his life and death and turn things around in a way to suit their thoughts about other matters....(but then again... if you have never been born, grown up and lived in a country with such issues... then why should you care and contribute to such a thread???)...

To be quite honest if you only want to blab off and complain then may i suggest that you go to a "blab off and complain" site... i am sure that you can find them if you google enough?... ATS members (please contribute if youn agree or not?) have had enough of people derailing threads such as this one!

Maybe you just want to look important to many people who you think have the same point of view as yourself... you are just a simple and mere "TINY" grain of sand on our massive world beach... just get to learn to live with the fact that there is just not you sat behind your computer typing away but thousands and thousands of people that totally disagree with you and/or have another opinion?

Many important things will happen in the world and will interest each and every one of us to a certain degree... If you are not interested in our world history, no-one is forcing you to turn on the TV when you know that such an important event is happening?

If it was a remake of the lady Di funeral, would you watch it? (sorry i see you are in the UK)

TOLERANCE AND RESPECT ARE SOOOOO MUCH LACKING IN OUR STUPID MUNDANE WORLD!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. I was not born/brought up/lived/ worked or stayed in south Africa... but at least i have the self respect to respect those who do/did and will ALWAYS continue to contribute to South Africas continuation... (South Africa is not the USA!!!)
edit on 10-12-2013 by Rodinus because: Sooo... annoyed when i read other threads!

top topics

join