It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone please explain why this happened to my ice tray?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

edit on 12/9/2013 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This one is for Kosmicjack....

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Those are ice spikes.

Essentially what happens is that the when water freezes in low temperatures there is a hole and as the water expands upon freezing it forces the remaining water out of the hole, like a volcano. Someone might have already answered this.

Here's a site: www.its.caltech.edu...

Since ice expands as it freezes, the ice freezing below the surface starts to push water up through the hole in the surface ice (see diagram). If the conditions are just right, then water will be forced out of the hole in the ice and it will freeze into an ice spike, a bit like lava pouring out of a hole in the ground to makes a volcano. But water does not flow down the sides of a thin spike, so in that way it is different from a volcano. Rather, the water freezes around the rim of the tube, and thus adds to its length. The spike can continue growing taller until all the water freezes, cutting off the supply, or until the tube freezes shut. The tallest spike we've seen growing in an ordinary ice cube tray was 56mm (2.2in) long.

edit on 9-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It's a male.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
when i see my ice trays like that, i just close the door and give them some privacy.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

But it only happened to my ice trays if noone else touched the ice trays. I am wondering why this just right for ice spikes condition happens around certain people.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...:K0019.ogv

Here is a gif of one forming. Kinda creepy.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GraveRobert

Ice trays where the temperature is just below freezing are more likely to form these as opposed to a flash freeze. It could also be that the temperature of the water when you put the cubes in is a different temperature than the other people you speak of.

Also it seems minerals in water can have an effect on their formation as well:

I have some ideas about why distilled water might make ice spikes more readily than tap water, but so far I cannot explain why some tap waters make copious ice spikes. We measured the probability of ice spike formation as a function of salt (NaCl) concentration in distilled water, at a fixed temperature of -7C, which is shown in the graph at right. Very little salt is needed to kill the ice spikes. All tap waters contain relatively high concentrations of various mineral salts, so apparently different impurities have different effects on ice spike formation.

www.its.caltech.edu...

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Not just in their faucets.. only from faucets where I am the whole cleaner there of and filler of said and cleaned ice trays. OP if this is also true for you, it would help not having a future thread.
edit on 9-12-2013 by GraveRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
when i see my ice trays like that, i just close the door and give them some privacy.

This just made me bust out laughing.

posted on Dec, 10 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

This Guy

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
It was created by a freon vortex center in your refrigerator.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join