It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Holes in Socks This Morning.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Has anyone else ever had holes suddenly in every pair of socks all in the same place?
My husband in 20 years has never had a hole in the bottom front of a sock, always the heel and toe where his tolong toenails hit.

These holes appeared in the clothes I washed yesterday and put in my basket last night, I went to put them away and every single one of his socks, he has had a long time and they wear well, have these identical holes. They looked chewed up.

My socks have no holes and the underwear have none. I didn't add anything new to the laundry and no bleach. I am boggled!

Anyone every have such an odd thing happen? I looked it up and in a Google search found many others with the same thing the oddest part is the holes are all in the same place they say?

See this post, there are many like it on the web...the weirdest part, like hers MY stuff is untouched but made of the same material.

Posted by StinaB ([email protected]) on Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 13:00
Until about 6 months ago, this was not a problem for me. Now I am finding 2-3 small holes in the front bottom of all my t-shirts-even the new ones. If it is moths or humidity, the holes would appear in several areas. If it was the way I washed or stored my t-shirts, this would not be happening to a brand new shirt! And furthermore, why is it only happening to my shirts- not my husband or my 4 children. I am perplexed and very upset that I need to buy new shirts constantly to no avail.
If anyone can think of a new way to research this, I would be so grateful.

forums.gardenweb.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Ah yes we have that problem to! It is the work of the sock monster that resides in my washing machine.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Seriously weird to me, never happened before why only his and why the same spot in every single one. I didn't show all of them, there are a ton of socks all the same holes.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
At our house, it's holes in towels and missing socks. This could be the culprit for missing socks...

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Ahhh adorable!
We have had some odd activity in our home for years but this is to me the freakiest thing even more so than items moving across rooms...just one simple wash and all pairs of my husbands socks destroyed, going to be shopping today I guess or he has none for tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
My brother has sweat that eats out his cotton tshirts. A friend of mine has sweat that will eat the back off a lot of watches. They need a certain type of stainless steel back or they are toast.

Sometimes I will have holes show up in many pairs of socks in a week. I don't know what causes it. It could be that we spilled something containing enzymes or maybe something in what I ate coming out. I suppose if you eat a lot of bromelain from pineapple it could be sweat out. After all it is absorbed intact and circulated through the body. It may get excreted through the feet and eat the proteins in the cotton.

Could be Ammonia on the floor that ate the socks, any acid will eat cotton. Did you spill any bromalain or papain in the kitchen and he walked on it? He could have stepped in something walking with socks on somewhere else and it is eating his socks. Could be lots of reasons for that. I learned never to spray Super Clean as a prewash on my pants to take off stains. It gets the stains out nice, but within a few months after that they start to fall apart. When I use it outside for cleaning things, my feet get wet and the socks seem to wear out quickly. The shoe threads are also disolved.
Learning from your mistakes is important....That is the biggest reason I know as much as I do

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think its something to do with entanglement. Especially black holes. Or it could be something to do with wormholes. Either way its got to be something highly profound. I could ask Carl Sagan but he's gone.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I rip up shoes and boots from the inside out. I will wear out the insides before the soles.

I wear fairly thick socks that cost more than most people spend on them. It costs less in the long run because those hanes, fruit of the loom and other brands that come in a big bag just don't hold up at all and aren't comfortable to start with.

I almost never have holes in my socks but when I do it means my shoes need attention or I've got a serious callous that needs some sanding down.

New insoles and some judicious foot care will often take care of the holes in the socks.

Or,
Put out some rat traps with scraps of cut up socks for bait. The sock gremlins can't resist it.
edit on 7-12-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Thanks for the comments Rickmouse. Well we walk on the same hardwood floor and I have not put anything new on them. My husband doesn't take his shoes off at work...unless there is something I don't know going on

Been no spills over the last week from laundry day.

He is wearing the same shoes and the holes did not have even a tiny sign of them in the last wash or any other. His socks can be difficult to get here because his feet are size 13 and many are too small and they usually are 10-12 to tight, so hope i can replace them quick!

Like i said, over 20 years together and he has never had a hole in the front bottom of a sock like these have the heel yes.

If I saw them wear a little at a time it would not wow me like this. But these were worn different days and last wash had no problems as I inspect his socks as I put them away to remove any worn out ones. None of mine were affected. You see the strange freying like they have been chewed up, a chemical would affect the whole sock also I would think if he were walking in socks at work each day HAHA..it is a restaurant hope not!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Very strange it would just be the socks. I've had holes in my jeans from a washer.
Try putting more water into do washing. If there isn't enought they get tugged by the agitator

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

A rat maybe? But on the other hand, a couple of years ago my underpants used to fall in hole right where my d*ck was, turned out I had very acidic urine back then.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Hellhound604
reply to post by violet

A rat maybe? But on the other hand, a couple of years ago my underpants used to fall in hole right where my d*ck was, turned out I had very acidic urine back then.

Ha! Glad you got that acid fixed! Maybe he has developed acid foot! Nope no rats around here, never been any for the 15 years in this home guess because of all the stray cats everywhere!

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

violet
Very strange it would just be the socks. I've had holes in my jeans from a washer.
Try putting more water into do washing. If there isn't enought they get tugged by the agitator

I got rid of my fabulous expensive washer I hated it a front loader, I like a simple top load machine, it is gentle and big I filled it full for a half load of whites so not the water, thanks for the response, I guess there really is no answer that anyone is going to be able to give me.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Char-Lee

violet

I got rid of my fabulous expensive washer I hated it a front loader, I like a simple top load machine, it is gentle and big I filled it full for a half load of whites so not the water, thanks for the response, I guess there really is no answer that anyone is going to be able to give me.

I don't think I would ever want a front loader. You can't add to it once it's closed. Or get something out like a phone, that went in by mistake. I expect my washer won't last much longer now, it's 18 yrs old. Not getting front loader.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Who has the answer to where the missing socks go?
Makes no sense since other small items never vanish. They don't drain out because at one time my washer drained into the big sink and I never saw a sock in the sink, just lint. I never find them in the house like they had never made it into laundry basket. I had a plastic bag full of them, for if they turned up. I've also heard they get inside the agitator, but I've pulled that thing off and they aren't in there either
edit on 7-12-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

On average you can put 6 pairs in but only get 4 or 5 back
edit on 7-12-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
In my part of the world, Texas, I frequently have a problem with ants, fire ants, to be exact, that will eat small holes in clothes and bed clothes. They like to carve out areas of stains from food spills, blood, etc. They are quick to attack something left on the floor (suburban house) and will get into laundry baskets if given enough time. 'Course, crickets and other critters besides ants and moths can do such damage also, but those culprits are easier to see than tiny ants.

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

As to the missing socks, I keep on telling my wife she must stop giving her one-legged lover my socks... Ahhh well, I guess she wont get rid of him, lol.... Either that, or the house-nisser keeps on stealing my socks, lol

posted on Dec, 7 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I reckon Alien Sun got it with Moths. They eat holes in clothing that look just like that Pic. it'd be possible that if the clothing's folded in a certain way, the folded edges might be easier for them to get purchase on with their mouth than if its flat, explaining why it seems to all be in the same spot.

Then again..... i dunno.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

AbdulAlhazred
I reckon Alien Sun got it with Moths. They eat holes in clothing that look just like that Pic. it'd be possible that if the clothing's folded in a certain way, the folded edges might be easier for them to get purchase on with their mouth than if its flat, explaining why it seems to all be in the same spot.

Then again..... i dunno.

Well not moths for sure and it would take a lot of them fast working and odd making all the holes in exactly the same places!
We don't have many bugs of any kind except rolly pollys outside and a few granddaddy long leg spider types. No bugs in the house at all but we have to fight window sill mold all year.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Fire Ants in your bed and cloths! Wow that sounds scary! My son lived there for a while, his wife from the UK had to have a weekly exterminator out, she could not stand the spiders, they even had a snake in the back of their computer one time!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join