It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Greetings ATS.

I wonder how many of you know or remember me. I was a very active ATS member from 2008-2012, during which time I was semi-retired and having a blast learning as much as possible from ATS and the Internet in general. I was honored at one point to be on the WATS top-fifty ATS posters list (although I think I've probably dropped off that list by now due to inactivity in 2013). I can honestly say ATS has been a fantastic learning experience, as well as a lot of fun, in every possible way.

I have been almost totally inactive as an ATS member in 2013 for a specific reason: After shifting from "partially retired" to "fully retired" and finally tying the knot with the long-suffering and patient girl of my dreams, I spent almost the entire year designing and building my off-grid survivalist hiding-hole in a far-northern area that shall remain unnamed. And now Silent Thunder, Silent Thunder Wife, and Silent Thunder Dog are on our way at last.

Due to the remoteness of this location, this year I had to go through the agonizing horror of Internet Addiction Withdrawal Syndrome, not the least casualty of which was my beloved ATS habit. However, I spent a lot of time putting into actual and sustained practice the survivalist, hunting, and permaculture knowledge I have been slowly accumulating over the past decade or so.

It is now time to make the move and bug out at last. Lots of us know bad times are coming. I have chosen to go to ground while I still can. I hope that each of you will make the correct choices in the days ahead, whatever that may mean for you.

One thing I'd like to pass on -- something I learned the hard way this year: Truly building a working, sustainable bug-out environment for the long haul is much, much harder than you might think. It is not for the faint of heart or for the casual dabbler. I have only taken this radical step after about a decade of cautious preparation and learning, and even so, at every corner I have discovered new challenges and difficulties. (Dentistry in the wild, anyone?) In short, don't try this at home, kids, unless you know what you are doing. And even then realize that you know a lot less than you think you do.

This isn't a total goodbye: I'll be heading back and forth to civilized areas where I will be able to access the Internet and ATS in the days and years ahead (provided said civilized areas remain civilized, of course). So I'll be keeping an eye on you all and dropping in from time to time. A wise man who knew the value of takin’ it easy once said that you can check out, but you can never leave. In this case, I hope that is true.

To my ATS friends, my respected haters (yes, I know there have been a few…the price of being who I am I suppose), and the utterly indifferent: Thank you all for all you have taught me, for keeping me on my toes, for challenging and pushing me to define myself and my world. I will be forever grateful to each and every one of you. Take care of yourselves and be strong. I know you will.

Yours very sincerely,

Silent Thunder

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Welcome home ST! I vaguely remember Mrs. ST also making an account.

Best wishes to both of you. I look forward to your updates.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Good Luck, and remember to give us SITREPs if you can (without bragging) and always remember OPSEC.

TDawg ...out.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Paragraph quote..(One thing I'd like to pass on -- something I learned the hard way this year: Truly building a working, sustainable bug-out environment for the long haul is much, much harder than you might think. It is not for the faint of heart or for the casual dabbler. I have only taken this radical step after about a decade of cautious preparation and learning, and even so, at every corner I have discovered new challenges and difficulties. (Dentistry in the wild, anyone?) In short, don't try this at home, kids, unless you know what you are doing. And even then realize that you know a lot less than you think you do. )

Cool... I applaud you. In my experience as to doing the same thing later in life I have found many obstacles least of which were other peoples criticism. I am now with my beautiful patner and four children after a life in civilised communities for 18 years. It is freedom for me.

(Dentisry in the wild, anyone?) Yessss. And sutures. No problems. Read and learn. Its okay and I'll never go back. Good on you.

Regards,

Bally

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
ST, good luck!

May I ask though, why now? What was the "trigger" to make you decide that now was bugout time?

Stay safe, enjoy nature

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Congratulations on getting married ... and welcome to the club of those who walked away from it all.
Keep your head down and enjoy retirement ..

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Hey enjoy your new world. Be peacefull and in then comming days help others, it wont go uncounted.

Stay safe, hunt well, be happy and enjoy the silence!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies everyone.

RichAwake

May I ask though, why now? What was the "trigger" to make you decide that now was bugout time?

Nothing specific; I've been planning this for about 11 years now. I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing and that I had every detail down. Then I gave myself about a year of trial-and-error (the past year). Now we are ready to make it a more permanent arrangement.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Good luck and congratulations ST.

new topics

top topics

join