It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost art of cassette tapes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Was'nt sure were to put this, music or here, but its more of an art thing so here it is...
I really like these images of cassette tape spines lovingly labeled and decorated from the caveman days.
I don’t miss cassette tapes at all, but the bespoke folk art aspect of these is kind of funky fresh, you have to admit…

These are not mine, i had better music than this taped! i mean, there's one there for Haircut 100!
Anyone remember them? Cringe..
These remind me of the way i used to label all my cassette tapes. You had to have something written on the spine or you would'nt know what was on it when you stacked them up.
(that last bit may seem obvious to some, but our younger members might not have a clue)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ha Ha yes nice one. One fond memory is of being able to rescue snapped tape using parcel tape and hoping it would hold itself together long enough to transfer onto a new tape....very satisfying if it worked.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hah
Why would you want a return to the cassette era

Do you remember what a nightmare cassettes were when the black strip thingy would get jumbled and you would spend hours with a pencil trying to unjumble it

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
When I was a teenager, I had a pretty good collection of 8 tracks.
god, I'm getting old!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
ha,

I kind of miss the surgical precision of making, and labeling tapes of LPs.
Or taping the occasional Sunday night Radio play of a whole newly released album.

I still have a bunch of mine in a box somewhere.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

w8tn4it
When I was a teenager, I had a pretty good collection of 8 tracks.
god, I'm getting old!
What's an 8 Track?

I used to love painting all my cassette j-cards. Man, those were the days...
Do kids still do stuff like that these days?

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by the_philth

Dude! Primo work. I love the guitar stabbing the football player in the back.

Oddly enough, tapes are making a comeback. If it's retro, it's cool, and a lot of bands are releasing on cassette tape again. Pretty soon, the Walkman will be cool again.
edit on Tue50Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:50:52 -06003113Tue by DirtyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Play a tape.....clean the head....play a tape....spend an hour getting it out of the player because its all tangled up....play a tape...its all muffled because its was recorded on another machine....play a tape...damn it broke.

I still have lots of large black round things with grooves in them, but I'm glad the cassette's have finally died a death.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

LOL

Yeah, that happened sometimes.
I don't remembering it being THAT often, but I do recall some tape trauma over the years.
There was something satisfying about getting all that oxide stuff of the tape heads. Then suddenly your music is almost crystal clear again.

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Dude tapes rule. I still use them and cherish my collection. They are making a come back as well, because tangible music formats are inherently human and will never go out of style. You can fit more music on a tape than a c.d. of course. Ipods and downloads are too disposable... but of course most mainstream music these days is disposable, so I guess it's fitting. There will be nothing like making a sweet two hour mix tape and labeling it with whatever you want. Real mix tapes were a labor of love, baby!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

spacedoubt
ha,

I kind of miss the surgical precision of making, and labeling tapes of LPs.
Or taping the occasional Sunday night Radio play of a whole newly released album.

I still have a bunch of mine in a box somewhere.

If you ever want to get rid of them, send to me!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
back in the day when cassette's were king i used to be in houses doing renovations and would bring dozens of blank cassette's with me and i copied everything i got my hands on .

did the same with cd s .

now you can have thousands on a pendrive but i still have a tape & a vhs player

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

There is so much I have on VHS and Beta Max that can't be replaced.. I use them still. See, the thing about analog vs. digital is this... with tapes/record players, some simple maintenance could fix most any problem you had. With digital, if the slightest thing is wrong or any scratch is present, you're screwed. Plus the planned obsolescence of digital hardware is ridiculous. All the analog stuff still works!
edit on 12/3/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace
reply to post by geobro

There is so much I have on VHS and Beta Max that can't be replaced.. I use them still. See, the thing about analog vs. digital is this... with tapes/record players, some simple maintenance could fix most any problem you had. With digital, if the slightest thing is wrong or any scratch is present, you're screwed. Plus the planned obsolence of digital hardware is ridiculous. All the analog stuff still works!
when i moved to my present home i left 2 washing machine boxes of vhs that still bugs me and the cassettes i have in a cupboard need to get compressed to hard drive but i have seen houses with 1000 + vhs inside .

i have a friend who is moving soon and extreme hoarder class dying to see the gems there
but we are in 40 + vans full from a 3 bedroom house plus attick my back is sore thinking about it

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
double post
edit on 3/12/13 by geobro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Geez, I geek out over that stuff. I lost a lot in a move as well. There are some serious traders out there for copies of old t.v. programs/sports/music recorded back in the day. I taped a lot of stuff off of radio as a kid. I kept all of those for nostalgia reasons and because I've always been interested in radio.

Maybe we could get an ATS cassette and video trading tree going on!

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace
reply to post by geobro

Geez, I geek out over that stuff. I lost a lot in a move as well. There are some serious traders out there for copies of old t.v. programs/sports/music recorded back in the day. I taped a lot of stuff off of radio as a kid. I kept all of those for nostalgia reasons and because I've always been interested in radio.

Maybe we could get an ATS cassette and video trading tree going on!

anything that is getting thrown away sold 20 for a buck will one day be worth bucks i have moved two many times to have kept it all over the years with the space it takes up .

but the a.t.s. swap shop is a excellent idea i go on ebay -a lot and lol when see postage from the states to scotland yet buy the same from china and postage free or 50 cents .

but maybe you should pm springer on the swap shop idea it is a good revenue maker instead of ads

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You bring back memories of the Nakamichi Dragon Cassette player. The pinnacle of tape players!

Now it is drag and drop. Lost something along the way me thinks.

P

posted on Dec, 3 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

pheonix358
You bring back memories of the Nakamichi Dragon Cassette player. The pinnacle of tape players!

Now it is drag and drop. Lost something along the way me thinks.

P
i remember loading 2 tapes into a green screen amstrad 45 plus minutes to fly a apachi helecopter sim it was like tron wow i feel old

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
LOL how many of you say you feel old....

Yeah the aul' cassettes were something special alright
Remember trying to load up a spectrum48k game with one? Goddam frustrating....
But nowadays its drag and drop, no more artwork, so thats a bad thing.
i remember as a kid being in bed under the covers listening to the radio with my finger on the record button in case i heard a song i liked. And hoping the DJ wouldnt talk over the track....
Man, now i feel old....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join