It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WaPost: End presidential term limits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
In a previous thread I wondered how long it was going to take before the progressive left would start proselytizing the idea of removing presidential term limits. Many of the responses were basically "That would never happen" but I remain unconvinced.

Now it's the Washington Post suggesting this may be a good idea. Of course they would never suggest such a thing if a conservative president was in office. One has to wonder if they think Obama would have a chance at a third or maybe even a fourth term considering his current lack of popularity in the polls.

Personally I don't think it really matters much anymore considering the sham two party system we have. The choice between democrat and republican candidates pretty much just gives us the choice in the manner of our destruction. That's if you believe the voting results at all.

End presidential term limits

Regardless of his political approval ratings, Obama could expect Republican senators such as Lindsey Graham (S.C.) and John McCain (Ariz.) to attack the agreement (to repeal term limits.) But if Obama could run again, would he be facing such fervent objections from Sens. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Robert Menendez (D-N.J.)?

Probably not. Democratic lawmakers would worry about provoking the wrath of a president who could be reelected. Thanks to term limits, though, they’ve got little to fear.

Nor does Obama have to fear the voters, which might be the scariest problem of all. If he chooses, he could simply ignore their will. And if the people wanted him to serve another term, why shouldn’t they be allowed to award him one?

What they appear to be suggesting is that the democrat party nominate Obama for a third term regardless and hope he wins again. I can't imagine there would be any chance of repealing on constitutional amendment.

It’s time to put that power back where it belongs. Barack Obama should be allowed to stand for re election just as citizens should be allowed to vote for — or against — him. Anything less diminishes our leaders and ourselves.

So ATS is the propaganda push on for Obama's third term?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Testing the waters, so to speak, which just means if we are even here for another presidential election that we can expect the Progs to ramp up their anti constitutional agenda and destruction of this country even more!

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Not disagreeing with you that there are those that wish for an end to term limits re: Obama, but I believe the constitutional hurdle will never be surmounted in today's nasty partisan environment.

Sure, the democratic party could choose to put him up for a 3rd term, but it would be DOA by the courts within days if not minutes...

FDR got lucky...I can't see it happening again absent a great leader in a time of great turmoil/stress (world war, alien invasion, etc) and even then I highly doubt it. Been there, done that...

Although the scenario that played out in the movie "V" does give me the shivers...
edit on 11/29/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
We heard the same thing about Bush from the left in his second term. Same game, different players.

ETA: Here's one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-11-2013 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Riffrafter

Sure, the democratic party could choose to put him up for a 3rd term, but it would be DOA by the courts within days if not minutes...

While I agree with this completely these last two administrations have been increasingly lawless. At this point in time I'm unsure if a little thing like the law would really discourage them.

A slim chance of success to be sure but I think we're just seeing the beginning of a concerted push to make this happen. They have a while yet to come up with a scheme to "legally" justify this idea.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

This is really interesting. Partisanship aside the idea is intriguing simply because the point being made is that presidents pretty much do what they want in the second term because they are not vying for re-election. However we have often heard that term limits are the answer for a corrupt congress and senate/house.

It has caused me to think because when mulling over the idea of term limits it would seem to eliminate the idea of the career politicians but by placing a limit we then end up with throw away politicians who have no motivation aside from a one time windfall of getting elected then selling their influence to corporations and special interest.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That seems kind of irrelevant. Obviously, Bush failed. Actually the third term idea never even got off the ground. No one wanted anymore Bush in 2008 and especially not a law-changing-3rd-term Bush.

We have Obama now, and the question is, will he have a go at it?
With the way the MSM shamelessly spins things in Obama's favor, it wouldn't surprise me a bit that they would be touting him for a third term.

Remember this little gem? Just an example of what I mean.

I think people are starting to wise up to the left/right division scam, but you never know. Hopefully the voters aren't stupid enough to go along with this. I don't think they are, but things can change, quick, if you know what I mean..
edit on 29-11-2013 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

I disagree. They are the same. Fearmongering at what can not be changed. Inane talking points at the most.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Obama is a total failure as a president. Though I know there's still a lot of glue sniffing supporters, some of his base are waking up to that fact he is an empty suit. Who in their right mind would want another term of a failed presidency? If that were ever to even be considered it would be enough for me to move out of country.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Testing the waters, so to speak, which just means if we are even here for another presidential election that we can expect the Progs to ramp up their anti constitutional agenda and destruction of this country even more!

This is what I believe as well. It's not like they haven't brutalized the constitution already. Just think of our new "Constitution Free Zones." If this logic can be applied to the 1st amendment it could just as easily be applied to others. To deny that would be disingenuous at best.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bilk22

If that were ever to even be considered it would be enough for me to move out of country.

Gave ya a star because I agreed with what you said, but I have to disagree.....

Move where? To another country that has been taken over by the banking oligarchy? Hell, it just came out that the US government and the IRS is going after X pats whom are living in other countries to steal money off of them for nothing more than still being US citizens (in the name of collecting taxes)!

There is no where to run anymore! We either plant our feet and fight for our country and our freedom or bow our heads to the executioners axe.........

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Exactly they flagrantly violate the constitution in order to manipulate us into tearing down the protections in place so that they can proceed to rape us with impunity. It seems to be a sick game the elite play that somehow they want our consent to be slaves. As if that justifies their actions. There has already been talk this year about trying to change the constitution to allow someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger to run. The more they can get us to acquiesce to these changes the less relevant the original constitution becomes.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

At some point in time the people are going to say enough. When and what will cause it is anyone's guess. The progressive filth that run this country are using the exact same methods used in the past.

I actually hope they really try and do this so people will finally see the cold hard truth. But I doubt they will considering the progressive filth rule both political parties. Just ask Mr. Paul. Romney would be doing the exact same thing and the conservatives idiots would be applauding it. And the liberals would be bashing him.

God are we really this stupid ?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Obama couldn't get elected as Dog Catcher after his dismal record as president.

This won't stop his most ardent fans and supporters, but even then, that's just a small percentage of the population.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well I would say the same but, however unlikely it may be, Obama has made a good record of changing things that shouldn't be, even if unlawfully (I won't mention Bush, that ship has sailed and sunk already). I could see him trying, but I don't think it would go anywhere.

To be honest, I put all of my ATS chips (not my vote) on Hillary in 2016, I'm betting we'll see the MSM playing the gender card every chance they can for Hillary, just like they played the race card with Obama. But I digress..

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This won't stop his most ardent fans and supporters, but even then, that's just a small percentage of the population.

While true it does put the progressives huge push to stop voter ID laws into a different perspective. After all if we can't even verify a voters then it kind of makes the whole thing a sham anyway.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

The MSM shot themselves in the foot when they gave Palin such a beating. They can't really use the "gender-card" for Hillary now.

Hillary would be worse for the US than a third term of Obama, in my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

beezzer

Hillary would be worse for the US than a third term of Obama, in my humble opinion.

Could be far far worse you could of made McCain president

edit on 29-11-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

Not to derail but I don't see Hillary making it or any dem next presidential election. The pendulum has been allowed to swing to far and they have accomplished their goal with Obamacare. Next go round is for the repubs who will come in and promise to repeal Obamacare only to pull a 180 once elected. Then we will see drastic cuts that only hurt the poor all in the name of curbing spending which is just a shell game the money still gets spent just less of it on essential services and more to corporations and their cronies.

This is almost formulaic and the people who still buy into the left vs. right theater are the useful idiots that are used to constantly swing that pendulum giving the illusion that there is some kind of competition for our benefit.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I wouldn't be surprised if Congress voted to repeal term limits to give Obama a chance to extend his tenure assuming he gets reelected. Of course, the elections are rigged as far as I'm concerned. The shadow government who is actually running the show makes it certain that the candidate who will best further their agenda gets elected. Republican or Democrat it really doesn't matter. Politicians aren't elected to change things, they are put in place to keep things the same. If the American people ever wake up and realize this perhaps we will see a full scale revolution the likes of which we've never seen in this country. People who really understand what is going on know this needs to happen. Otherwise this country will continue to be destroyed by the powerful elite. Benjamin Disraeli said it best: "The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes."

Unfortunately, most Americans believe everything the media and the government tells them. I fear things are only going to get much worse.
edit on 29-11-2013 by TitusAndronicus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join