It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smith & Sons vs. Smith & Daughters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I just thought of something that I have never seen before.

I've seen things like:

"Johnson & Sons"

"Smith & Sons"

"Jones & Sons"

etc.

But why have I never seen something like:

"Johnson & Daughters"

or

"Smith & Daughters"

or

"Jones & Daughters"

Surely there are Mother/Daughter...Businesses/Teams out there that might use this type of name? But I've never seen it. So the question is why not?

Maybe because it's always been thought of a male type of style for a family business name? Or perhaps women steer clear of it as being too plain/unimaginative?

What is it?

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well it's probably the same reason why most women still take their husbands names in marriage.

The reality is that in the context of language women don't actually exist. Even the word woman can be traced to wifman which means wife of man.

In business female names are taken as less professional. Is that right? No, but it is the way people perceive language.

I'll give you an example: "Smith and Daughters" tool shop vs. "Smith and Sons" tool shop. See? Smith and Sons seems like a proper name where as the other seems weird. It wouldn't matter if the daughters were tool experts, the public still perceives the shop in a more negative fashion than Smith and Sons.

Most businesses that have the "Smith and Sons" type name are types of jobs/businesses associated with the male gender.

You won't see "Smith and Sons" daycare center or "Smith and Sons" bridal shop. You will however, see "Smith and Sons" jewelry shop because traditionally that has been a male line of business.

edit on 28-11-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by jude11

Well it's probably the same reason why most women still take their husbands names in marriage.

The reality is that in the context of language women don't actually exist. Even the word woman can be traced to wifman which means wife of man.

In business female names are taken as less professional. Is that right? No, but it is the way people perceive language.

I'll give you an example: "Smith and Daughters" tool shop vs. "Smith and Sons" tool shop. See? Smith and Sons seems like a proper name where as the other seems weird. It wouldn't matter if the daughters were tool experts, the public still perceives the shop in a more negative fashion than Smith and Sons.

Most businesses that have the "Smith and Sons" type name are types of jobs/businesses associated with the male gender.

You won't see "Smith and Sons" daycare center or "Smith and Sons" bridal shop. You will however, see "Smith and Sons" jewelry shop because traditionally that has been a male line of business.

edit on 28-11-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

Ok,

Nice response.

"Smith and Daughters" tool shop vs. "Smith and Sons" tool shop."

But what about "Smith & Daughters Accountants" or "Jones & Daughters Law Firm"?

Seems that in our times we can see more of this?

Maybe?

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Just to say that if I was in the position to name my business :"JUDE11 & Daughters" I woulD not hesitate.

However, being that I have no Daughters I cannot Do so. But as a father I woulD have no problem an woulD even be very prouD.

(Sorry but my D is sticking again anD I can only capitalize my 'D'
)

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Regardless of how PC the Western world pretends to be, accountants and law firms are still assumed male jobs.

That's why in many female owned businesses you see gender neutral labels that will cause most people's brains to assume the male gender. Women are the property of men in the context of language, so women it is necessary from a marketing standpoint to use gender neutral terms. It's not fair, but then again language is unfair. Women have absolutely no words associated only with them that are positive. Again, women are the property of man.

So for example, "Smith and Jones" law firm may very well have two female attorneys working there. The gender neutral name gave nothing away genitalia wise but the majority of people will read that and the first thing that will pop into their heads is two male attorneys with business suits.

Bias is what the whole field of marketing relies on. Business names are a form of marketing. Unfortunately people are bias as it is beat into all of our heads since birth that men rule everything. In the context of labels female names are a negative that seem unprofessional.
edit on 28-11-2013 by OrphanApology because: f

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

OrphanApology
reply to post by jude11

Regardless of how PC the Western world pretends to be, accountants and law firms are still assumed male jobs.

That's why in many female owned businesses you see gender neutral labels that will cause most people's brains to assume the male gender. Women are the property of men in the context of language, so women it is necessary from a marketing standpoint to use gender neutral terms. It's not fair, but then again language is unfair. Women have absolutely no words associated only with them that are positive. Again, women are the property of man.

So for example, "Smith and Jones" law firm may very well have two female attorneys working there. The gender neutral name gave nothing away genitalia wise but the majority of people will read that and the first thing that will pop into their heads is two male attorneys with business suits.

Bias is what the whole field of marketing relies on. Business names are a form of marketing. Unfortunately people are bias as it is beat into all of our heads since birth that men rule everything. In the context of labels female names are a negative that seem unprofessional.
edit on 28-11-2013 by OrphanApology because: f

Point taken.

Now from a marketing point of view I believe that a professional firm named "Jones & Daughters" might very well attract a lot of female clients from an equality stance as well as males from a perhaps (not factual at all but perceived) less intimidating approach.

The less intimidating not being factual but perhaps a less stressful environment? Let's face facts here. Women are very successful at negotiation because of the more logical and softer approach right?

So many women are struggling just to attain equality but are still playing by male-only rules?

Seems to me that women should use the exact same rules and tools as men have used over time in order to achieve true equality..

Peace

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I think because every generation down the line the business name would change.

Smith & Daughters.

Smith-Collins & Daughters.

Smith-Collins-Walker & Daughters.

Smith-Collins-Walker-Baker & Daughters.

Smith-Collins-Walker-Baker-Ngyuen & Daughters.

My great great granddaughter married an aaaaaasian.

^_^
edit on 28-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well you might believe that "Smith and Daughters" law firm is great but keep in mind that marketing is about exploiting innate bias in people. People are biased regardless of how much they would like to be defenders of equality. Bias is beat into us from birth til' death. Look at all of the movies out there. Think of how many examples there are of female CEOs that are depicted as a harsh stereotypical could be lesbian types who are shark like creatures. Do you know of any down to earth business women/executives who are family women? What about police chiefs? How many of the women have large families and are seen in a good light for being "family women" as men are so cordially depicted as "family men".

Bias is an extremely powerful factor in much of language and life.

Also going back to women "fighting" back against the male dominated language all that does is just causes backlash. What's the popular word these days for any woman who points out discrepancies or makes an effort to level bias in language? Feminazi.

The current language would have to be completely reworked for that to happen to exclude a great many words.

Say goodbye to:

Women
Woman
Her
She
Policeman
Fireman
Tailor

etc. and so on.

new topics

top topics

join