It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical science releases a pill that extends life to 200+ yrs!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have a scenario for you... (well one of 2 scenarios)

1) You wake up one morning and read in the paper: Medical science releases a pill that extends life to 300+ yrs!!! And that you can ask your dr for it. It slows your aging. So if you take it, you must plan on being around for a long long time!

So if that was available would you take it? Would you want to be around that long? As you might turn into the Vampire Lestat where you're bored to tears with life on earth?

2) What if lets just say by some fluke you end up living to be 150 years old. No one knows why but you just don't seem to age, you keep active, you think of yourself as youthful and you keep your mind busy and you just don't get old. How would that change your retirement or career planning???

Now there's something for you to chew on. it bounced into my mind when I was leaving the thriftshop today. No joke. I should have thoroughly cleaned out the coffee maker I bought before making coffee though...awhhhh

edit on 27-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

C'mon man, you have a headline like that and then a thread like this?
if you really wanted to post the video, why didnt you post it in the music forum?
Oh right, not that many readers there huh?

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

The way the world is going I dont think it or any of us will even be around in 300 years. I think I will be happy living just under 100 years or so.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You bait and switch me, then feed me some horrible music video by a talentless imbecile.
At least fill out more of your thread man! You have essentially repeated two of the most common "scenarios" discussed here, and elsewhere on the internet.

The prospect of enhanced human life-span has to be met with an increase in our efficiency as energy consumers as well. If we extend life without addressing energy use, and food resources, then we may as well damn ourselves to a real overpopulation scenario. The medical advancements that would allow this are not that far off, so we will have to show restraint until we develop the necessary teach to handle an increase in the human population.
As far as your questions go, I would say that I would personally be glad to have the extra time, and would incorporate as much adventure and variety as possible into my life. I know that I wouldn't spend 150 years at the same job, or in the same country, that's for sure!

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Who really wants to live forever?

No, i wouldn't take it.

The bigger problem is the problem with those who do vs those who don't take it. HOw long until the folks who don't want to live forever are discriminated against by employers for being less worthy of investing the time to train? Just as an example.

Even worse....all those people making more babies that live forever. I shudder to think about it.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Imagine it... 200+ years of inane music videos..

I'd harakiri in a split second.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Before I read any relies I want to answer you without pre judgement.

This is a very good question and one I have thought on a very good while.

I would take the pill and extend my lifetime, for myself to just watch and see...for my descendants to guide and teach as best I may.

The last almost... I made pact with the almighty....you see there where two choices available ...one to watch and see how it unfolded and be a part of in in only a small way(whey), or to continue to forgetfulness and beyond(I'm a curious spirit and I can't linger)...,and so I am. Here and with all you.

I have found that sometimes the choices are many and yes we get to choose...myself personally I will choose life and wish only the the same to any.

Cheers to you on a long journey, may it be kind and always of your choosing.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I'll take it, if you promise we can listen to better music.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I suppose they will raise the social security age to a hundred ninety years old. Have to work an extra hundred and thirty years. No thank you.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Evening,

Think I'll pass on that pill.
I don't fancy being poor for another 140 years.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Poor? Bored?
Please excuse me, but are you people idiots?

Boredom is a symptom of one's intelligence and facility to self entertain, or lack thereof.
Being bored is self insulting; like calling yourself an idiot.

Don't want to be poor? Um, and you know you're going to live for another 200-300 years?
Go to school and be doctor? Even if it takes you 50 years to get through med school, you'll then have a much better paying and more provident lifestyle.

Personally, I'm all for optional mortality.
Give me the whole Wolverine character ability to self-heal rapidly and never age.
Bring on the Time!

Things are finally getting interesting.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

One hundred and fifty years? Two hundred? Three? Are you kidding me? I do not even want to reach middle god damned age!

On a serious note though, I really think immortality is over rated. I have lived enough years on this Earth to know that more time is not the answer to any problem worth solving. Its emotionally pleasing for the simple minded to believe otherwise, but serves no other purpose. Think about it, if no one dies, then that means draconian birth control, otherwise undying baby factories will cram out enough bundles of joy to drown us all in diapers and their foul contents until the stars stop burning, not to mention the resource drain that would ensue from people never dying. The population would DETONATE over a period of a year.

I do not want to live in a world where children cease to be born in the traditional way, where the wonderment of youth is replaced by a knowing smile. I do not want to be immortal, or any thing that could be mistaken for it. The simple reason for that, is that I do not believe that there are people in the world, myself included, who could suffer that amount of time, surrounded by the heaving mass that is humanity, without loosing whatever fragment of sanity they may have had the good fortune to have been born with.

Everyone has a bad year once in a while, I think we can all agree with that. Sometimes the bad days turn into awful years, and sometimes, for some folk, they turn into pretty lacklustre decades. I would not want immortality, based on my experiences thus far. It would just become aggravating.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

or it might be an insult to ones intellect to find entertainment in repeating the same things over and over. I certainly don't consider a toddler to be exceptionally gifted if they want to watch the same Backyardigans video over and over and over.....

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

That's a matter of perspective I suppose.
The difference between today and only 100 years ago, is that the same thing, different day?
Is it "It's a small world after all" for the 500 millionth time?

I beg to differ.

100 years from now, will it be same thing different day?

If ever we as a species make for permanent life off planet, either within our own solar system, or somewhere far far away, will that be same thing different day?

The differences between life 100 years ago and now are fairly well pronounced enough such that anyone claiming they'd be bored during such time span would need be in serious question for any facility to self entertain.

100 years from now? Boredom? Seriously?

Of course, should mortality become optional, anyone and everyone that chooses to live a short life is welcome to do so.
It might well make an interesting premise for some Hollywood drama in attempting to illustrate differences in philosophies between those who'd be happy and overjoyed to enjoy eternal youth versus those who'd willfully deny it.

To each their own. Dirt or stars.

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Can't help you if you get run over by a bus can it?

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I can't seem to post....time out time out time out....what gives!!! come on lready!!!
edit on 28-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

nerbot

Can't help you if you get run over by a bus can it?

Them's the breaks, but begs the question. What are the real chances of you dying an accidental death? Try this:

edit on 11/28/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
testing testing

posted on Nov, 28 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Okay I think it's fixed. computers drive me nuts.

edit on 28-11-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join