It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian GPS Using U.S. Soil Stirs Spy Fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The Russians want to build 'GPS' stations in the USA. Well .. they SAY it's just for their version of GPS, but all things considered, the thought that this could be a spy operation isn't too far fetched.

At this time, American GPS is 'it'. Russia and China are trying to compete with that. I'm sure that's true, but having massive buildings packed with massive electronics and satellite communications inside America makes for an easy cover for spying operations.

NY Times - Russian GPS Using US Soil Stirs Spy Fears

...this menace may come in the form of a seemingly innocuous dome-topped antenna perched atop an electronics-packed building surrounded by a security fence somewhere in the United States.

In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said. These monitor stations, the Russians contend, would significantly improve the accuracy and reliability of Moscow’s version of the Global Positioning System, the American satellite network that steers guided missiles to their targets and thirsty smartphone users to the nearest Starbucks.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There is a simple solution to this, just say NO!

It's quite easy really and most politicians use the word regularly. The question I'm asking is why is this even being considered? But I guess when you have Russian and Chinese troops on the ground in the U.S, then this would be the next natural step.

Bizarre.

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Seems odd that the government would even argue the issue. Why would that be?

Those tracking stations aren't cheap. My guess is the US budget for eavesdropping around the world is kind of tapped out. The American space program depends these days on the Russians to reach the ISS, anything that makes that gravy train more reliable for free is an advantage. So the Russians learn about the location of a few more Starbucks?

GPS would be the first thing to go in an all out nuke strike, missiles won't be programmed to use it in their terminal guidance phase anyway.

edit on 17-11-2013 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

it's been quite obvious for some decades that the us engages in technological repression to keep itself on top, using force and even war to keep the rest of the world [and civilians ]down and way behind.

interesting, does cia/nsa know something about GPS they're not telling?
they're always afraid of anybody doing what they are already doing.

edit on 17-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

intrptr
Seems odd that the government would even argue the issue. Why would that be?

Oh ... the government hasn't exactly been doing what's best for American lately, has it?
I mean ... the Obama administration, coupled with John McCain and others, were just
recently trying to get us to go to war in Syria to HELP TERRORISTS. I mean ... yikes.
God only knows how else they are selling us out ....

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a simple solution - Russia should " open source " the ground station technology - and allow other nations to build the stations under licence @ sites approved by the Russians [ as they know where they are needed ]

problem solved - the host nation can sleep easy - knowing that they built the staions - and no " extras " are included for ELINT / COMMINT / etc etc

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
MSM Propaganda...
From what I've read, the US actually has 25 GPS station in Russia...
There are virtually hundreds of those around the world, you can see here:

ICS

Plus, this is really no time for the US Govt. to be bitching about being afraid to be spied upon...it's almost comical (not to mention that it's very poor foreign policy at this point).

posted on Nov, 17 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Oh that's an easy one. NO.

top topics

join