It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is speaking the truth a crime?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
White House and Other Officials Not Allowing Snowden Clemency

According to Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor, it is not; however, regardless of his opinion, his recent plea for clemency to the White House and congressional intelligence committee leaders has been rejected.

Feinstein remarked that Snowden has “done this enormous disservice to our country. I think the answer is no clemency.” She also stated that he could have spoken directly to her committee privately instead of going to the media.

Not surprisingly, both Feinstein and Rogers have been met with intense criticism for defending the actions of the NSA.
Maybe he was afraid of being in the news the next day! HEADLINE NEWS: Edward Snowden a former contractor for the NSA was found dead this morning(of natural causes of course).

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by colddeadhands

You sir have made a fool out of Betteridge's Law of Headlines. I demand an apology! And since you were asking the question I'm going with "yes, it's a crime but not officially, directly that is".

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Truth is the new kind of bullets.

A silent weapon for a silent war.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Well, let's say someone tells the "truth", and that truth incites a riot, which is a crime. We then must weigh the value of the truth against the negative outcome.

So, for example, the truth might be that the U.S. intercepts billions of data transfers in every country. Yet, releasing that truth can bring about negative results for the country, so, this is how they might define someone as a terrorist with treasonous motives.

My opinion is now that yes, telling the truth can be a crime. I don't completely agree with it, but such is the world in which we live.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Em2013

You sir have made a fool out of Betteridge's Law of Headlines. I demand an apology! And since you were asking the question I'm going with "yes, it's a crime but not officially, directly that is".
So what you are essentially saying is that he should have kept his mouth shut and allowed "Big Brother" to continue with business as usual, even though that business was a crime? I guess every law has a flaw somewhere
If the law doesn't fit...don't try to apply it!
edit on 11/8/2013 by colddeadhands because: Added small point

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Divine Strake
Well, let's say someone tells the "truth", and that truth incites a riot, which is a crime. We then must weigh the value of the truth against the negative outcome.

So, for example, the truth might be that the U.S. intercepts billions of data transfers in every country. Yet, releasing that truth can bring about negative results for the country, so, this is how they might define someone as a terrorist with treasonous motives.

My opinion is now that yes, telling the truth can be a crime. I don't completely agree with it, but such is the world in which we live.

If the truth can hurt you that badly, to the point of riots and war and loss of allies and life...

then perhaps you need to rethink what you are doing...

When one lives correctly, the truth doesn't hurt.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Divine Strake

We PAY the government to intercept billions of data transfers in every country! We do NOT support violating the rights of the citizens of the United States!! If there is a legitimate reason to suspect that someone is involved in terrorist actions then by all means please monitor them, but to blanket monitor the entire population of our great nation is a CRIME!!! To reveal this truth to the people should not be considered criminal!

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Well said. That is exactly the point.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
You're not entitled to the Truth ,,you have no reason to "Need too Know" ,,so dont worry your pretty little mind with the Truth

edit on 8-11-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   

She also stated that he could have spoken directly to her committee privately instead of going to the media.

buahahahahahaha.

I'm really surprised these days...when I hear such nonsense. Yeah sure...I heard about that...something about "going through proper channels"...what a joke.

Spying would have never been officially confirmed...and we would be tapping in the dark...like we do with all unconfirmed conspiracies...like JFK and 9/11.

I love Snowden...his greatest worth is that he exposed how much lying there is...even when they look at you in the eyes...and calmly claim..."it's crazy talk". A baseless conspiracy they say, and their minions quickly confirm it. And you bet your ass they would have never admitted to spying also...never in a million years.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Is speaking the truth a crime?

It certainly alters the reality of most!
I was wondering about this same thing a couple of months ago. Little white lies and how it's ok and the reasons for why it's ok. I feel like you help someone more in the long run with truths...but I guess I live in my own reality as well.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

This guy is my current hero

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Truth is only a crime when the illusion of justice applies.

Point being when everyone is in on it then you are left standing there with your truth hanging out all alone.

The odd thing about Snowden's truth is that aside from the U.S. the whole world seems to be with him, what does that say about the U.S. and its truth ?

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Truth has no agenda and is the strongest weapon against immoral, unjust and tyrannical actions. Shaping what people think and believe is more effective in pushing agenda than a million man army.

When truth is a crime then the law is unjust and the society that breeds it is poised to eventually fail.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Hey, I am in agreement with you here. Nonetheless, telling the truth is considered a crime by some.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes, they've made speaking the truth is a crime. What do you think political correctness is all about? It's an attempt to shackle free speech and the truth right along with it through the avenue of thought crime.

top topics

join