It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Staring at Computers May Cause Glaucoma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Researchers from Toho University School of Medicine in Tokyo have found a correlation between high level of computer screen usage and glaucoma, defined as an increased pressure in the eyeball due; damages the optic disc and impairs vision. Researchers have first discounted the correlation between computer usage and glaucoma, but now are second guessing.

www.linuxinsider.com
The results emerged from a study in Japan of 10,000 workers with an average age of 43. It found a statistical link between heavy computer use and eye problems that presage glaucoma. The problems were more common among staff with existing vision defects such as short-sight or long-sight.

The team warned that there could be a dramatic rise in the number of glaucoma cases, or patients showing the early signs, if action was not taken to check people who spend long time in front of screens and have existing eye conditions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Living in the new age of the computers, where almost everyone computer user is a computeroholic, addicted to computers, this research does only good, alerting every computer user to reduce staring at the monitors.

As the saying goes "Necessity is the mother of invention," the necessity for better vision could possibly give rise to better computer monitors, but until we are prone to the progressive blindness disease.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
well, looks like I'm definately at risk with spending an average of 70+ hours a week on the computer (85% of that is at ATS)

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownOrigins

well, looks like I'm definately at risk with spending an average of 70+ hours a week on the computer (85% of that is at ATS)

Same here. I hope they find a cure soon.

Surf

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well if this is the case I am screwed. Does this mean that I get to have my prescription of Marijuana once it hits me??

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
could you please repost this with bigger font? It's all blurry and I have no idea what it says. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by phaedrusxxx
could you please repost this with bigger font? It's all blurry and I have no idea what it says. Thanks!

Looks like you are our first reported victim.

Lol infinite, any excuse to marijuana huh?

Surf

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
would that mean TV has the same effest? that would mean im staring at screens way more then i should be. my eyeballs do feel a tad strained once in a while, like they are on fire.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
would that mean TV has the same effest? that would mean im staring at screens way more then i should be. my eyeballs do feel a tad strained once in a while, like they are on fire.

Possibly, but you are not that close to the t.v. when viewing it, at least you shouldn't be that close.

Surf

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Nice,,,then my recriational activities will save my eyesight...puff....puff...hehe

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Uh...yeah...that's why all that marijuana is in my closet...glaucoma...that's it...too much time on the computer...totally legit...I swear...
Nothin to see here officer...

[edit on 16-11-2004 by gm0n3y]

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Try this.

Don't cheat.

When you scroll down to the chart, don't look closely - you will need to be 8 to 10 feet from the screen to get a reasonable result.

www.kytc.state.ky.us...

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Try this.

Don't cheat.

When you scroll down to the chart, don't look closely - you will need to be 8 to 10 feet from the screen to get a reasonable result.

www.kytc.state.ky.us...

Actually it is from 6 to 8 feet.

I think I am cool, so far. I can still see the small letters at the bottom.

Any ideas on how to improve your vision? other than less of ATS.

Surf

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

What? You couldn't see the ninth row down from ten feet away?

Uh oh.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by surfup

What? You couldn't see the ninth row down from ten feet away?

Uh oh.

Lol, there isn't any ninth row.

You almost got me for a second.

Surf

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
For decades, it was suggested that sitting to near a TV or watching TV in the dark was bad for the eyes. That myth has now been debunked.

The article doesn't mention anything about cathode ray monitors or LCD monitors or how far one sits from the screen.

There is also no mention as to the process that might link glaucoma to computer use.

The only thing confirmed, according to the article, is a correation and as we all know correlation is not causation.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
For decades, it was suggested that sitting to near a TV or watching TV in the dark was bad for the eyes. That myth has now been debunked.

The article doesn't mention anything about cathode ray monitors or LCD monitors or how far one sits from the screen.

There is also no mention as to the process that might link glaucoma to computer use.

The only thing confirmed, according to the article, is a correation and as we all know correlation is not causation.

Let me just say, a very good correlation.

It does make sense logically too, you are sitting so close to computer, not only that we are looking at it for hours continously.

Haven't you ever had a situtation when after using computer screens for hours and you eyes burn?

Surf

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
It's worth detecting early. My mother had her diagnosis five years ago and has been taking the Xylatan eye drops without the eye pressure deteriorating. As a result, she's still able to drive her car. Very expensive at $ 60 a one-month bottle, but there are other cheaper drops.

I've been using the regular eye drops to relive fatigue.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by lchoro
I've been using the regular eye drops to relive fatigue.

What are these regular eye drops you are talking about?

Surf

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
For years I used one of the old style monitors. And my eyes bugged me. Bugged me bad. I went to the eye doctor and got some reading glasses which helped. But then I got an LCD monitor, and I haven't needed the reading glasses anymore.

I still wouldn't mind having a prescription to relieve the pressure. You know... should it come back. Preventitive medicine. I think my insurance will cover it.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
We sure could use some kind of treatment or cure from this. Oh well, even if it does endanger my health I'll never give up ATS. Unless I go blind. In that case I'm screwed.

top topics

join