It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Sea Monster Photographed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I came here looking for an ongoing discussion of this, but it seems it hasn't actually been posted here at all!

Loch Ness Monster Allegedly Spotted Off Australia's Magnetic Island

The eyes of the world turned to Magnetic Island, Australia because of reports of a strange object in the seas that some suggest is the Loch Ness Monster -- or a relative.

Beachgoers first sighted what looked like "a distinctive long, curved neck bobbing up and down off the coast" on October 25, International Business Times reported.

Some of the eyewitnesses immediately noticed a resemblance to Scotland's most famous cryptid, Nessie.

Others believe the object is not necessarily the mythical monster and more likely the half-sunken hull of a boat.

A man named David “Crusty” Herron photographed what he is calling "Lost Nessie" from nearly 600 feet away.

“It was bobbing up and down in the water and at first I thought, what’s that? Someone yelled out, ‘It looks like a Loch Ness monster,’" Herron said, according to The Australian. “I've never seen anything like it - it could be anything. We are all wanting to know what it is.”

Whatever it was, it's probably not the Loch Ness Monster -- or even an animal, according to marine biologist Glen Chilton, who suspected the so-called sea serpent was more likely a piece of a tree or boat.

Australian cryptozoologist Rex Gilroy said that "Lost Nessie" is most likely a dragon boat which sunk off the nearby city of Townsville earlier this month.

He is keeping an open mind, though, especially since there have been at least a few sightings of reptilian creatures with long necks and football shaped heads near Magnetic Island, most recently in October, according to Yahoo! Australia.

Source
edit on 2/11/2013 by Believe_nothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I could almost bet that that's an old pic, yet it has a P\S tail, its an old pic.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

That was most certainly the first thought I had also, regarding the tail.

As far as I know though, the picture is not older than a few days.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
How do you know he/she was Austrialian? What if it was just visiting?

I hear it's quite beautiful and rugged there. What sea farring monster wouldn't like that?

edit on 2-11-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
yeah nessie that was proved to be a toy submarine,i,m from scotland and would love nessie to be true but the fact is its not
don,t get me wrong i believe there is things in the ocean we know nothing about but nessie and all these other lake monsters?give me some undeniable evidence and then i,ll be a believer.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
thats just the new GoogLeSaurs imaging the oceans,,its got WiFi,,,the new GoogLeSaurs App is awesome...

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Looks like someone doing the back stroke, pictured with their arm in the air This Link explains it whilst bizarrely claiming that the image it resembles is a known hoax .....which would lead anyone with a sane mind to also assume that this image is also a hoax!..........go figure!

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

sparky31
yeah nessie that was proved to be a toy submarine,i,m from scotland and would love nessie to be true but the fact is its not
don,t get me wrong i believe there is things in the ocean we know nothing about but nessie and all these other lake monsters?give me some undeniable evidence and then i,ll be a believer.

I also live in Scotland! You are thinking of a different photograph when you refer to the toy submarine. I believe you are thinking of this one famously faked by Robert Kenneth Wilson in 1934.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Believe_nothing

sparky31

I also live in Scotland! You are thinking of a different photograph when you refer to the toy submarine. I believe you are thinking of this one famously faked by Robert Kenneth Wilson in 1934.

yeah thats what i,m talking about,wasn,t talking about the op pic.was making a comparison,sorry if that wasn,t clear.

just read back what i said and i should have said just looked like nessie pic.i apologize
edit on 2013 by sparky31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Believe_nothing

sparky31

Ah, the infamous "Surgeon's photograph"...

It does look similar to the Aussie pic...but it would since if you were trying to fake a cryptid sea beastie a la Mr. Wilson, you'd probably want it look as close as it could to what a "real" cryptid sea beastie would look like. Whatever that is...

Plesiosaur-like I guess...I assume they were a known species in 1934.

Still a lot of unanswered questions & evidence re: sea beasties in general. I'm looking forward to getting more info on this Aussie variant if there is any to be had - now or in the future.

edit on 11/2/2013 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Believe_nothing

Why ALWAYS a crappy picture!?!?

Hell, even phones have like a billion mega pixel cameras on them now but yet always these pics look like they were taken with a 1940's Polaroid camera.......

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
That's a bird with its head tilted up and a blue gill or sun fish in its mouth.. The tail feathers behind it is another bird diving for fish..

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Could be an abandoned Dragon boat, as someone already presumed. Particularly as one was lost in the area recently.
Could also just be a water bird, like a Swan.

For those of you who dont know, ie 99.9% of you....Swans in Australia are BLACK, not white.

Also looks similar to a Cormorant (or Shag) holding a fish up high in its beak.
edit on 2-11-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

I think swans are a fresh water bird, I'd go with a shag on this one.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Give it a rest !

Talk about paparazzi !

Nessie is enjoying a 'down under' adventure tour - including - great whites, crocs and various snakes and spiders.

Hol's guys ! Give her a break.
We're showing her a good time. ( her kids are getting a little weirded out with all the flashing !)

edit on 3-11-2013 by Timely because: extra letter obliterated ...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by weirdguy

Yes...and that's what makes it even more mysterious.

Of course...fresh water is your Northern Hemisphere ordinary white Swan habitat.

But we are talking about Australia here
...and yes black Swan's habitat includes coastal seas, salt water lakes and well as brackish water and fresh water.

www.arkive.org...

As quoted from above.
"Outside of the breeding season, the black swan occurs in an even greater variety of habitats (2), including saltwater lakes (7), salt marshes (10) and coastal sites (2) (10). This species can also occasionally be found on the open sea near the shore or close to islands (7)."

edit on 3-11-2013 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Believe_nothing

Whatever it is, where ever it is, it looks like it has an automotive tire around its neck.
Or maybe it can't swim and that is a ship's life preserver?

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

sparky31

Proven?? By what, the "confession" of someone NOT the photographer, after he was dead? That's far from proof. Besides, there were TWO pictures, and the neck is in a different position in the second one, than what we see in the first, and more famous, picture. You can see both pictures together here:

link

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

HooHaa
That's a bird with its head tilted up and a blue gill or sun fish in its mouth.. The tail feathers behind it is another bird diving for fish..

Exactly.. My first thought was a goose and gosling.

posted on Feb, 11 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Believe_nothing

This has been explained, I live in Townsville (Magnetic Island is just off the coast here) and the story made the local paper.

The most likely explanation is that the low tide revealed part of a sunken boat, with reports a dragon boat went down off the island one week ago during a race.

Townsville Bulletin

cheers

<<   2 >>

join